Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I give a player a reputation token in their home province to use their market, or repair, or one of their buildings, does that count as a free "action?"

The example in the rule book says "yellow accepts the token and red repairs his ships without having to spend a repair order (due to the port).

Does this effectively mean you could choose a guild, do your actions, and as long as you were in someone else's province at the end of your turn (and they agreed to take your reputation token) then you could do a sell or repair action without having to choose the correct guild to do it and spend an action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a "free" action, rather an enhancement to your own actions. For instance there is a building (Marketplace) that allows for extra gold when selling. If the yellow player also has built that along with the port (repair) and you (red) are in that players harbor you could pay the reputation to gain access to both buildings. Now on your turn you could still choose the merchants guild to sail and sell goods. Your goods sell for +2 when you are there and if you end your turn in yellows harbor you can repair your ships because of the Port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trilamb wrote:
The example in the rule book says "yellow accepts the token and red repairs his ships without having to spend a repair order (due to the port).

That's bizarre. I've got no idea why it says that. I think it's a mistake, but I'm not certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schierer
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
trilamb wrote:

That's bizarre. I've got no idea why it says that. I think it's a mistake, but I'm not certain.

There is a structure you can build called a Port. The Port structure's special ability is to repair any ship that ends its sail action in the region with the port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LentilMcBean wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
trilamb wrote:

There is a structure you can build called a Port. The Port structure's special ability is to repair any ship that ends its sail action in the region with the port.

This is correct. It's a free repair because yellow built a building that repairs ships without spending an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we eventually realized the Port is a specific building that makes that example make sense, but man that was not the best example to pick since it can easily lead to confusion when you're unfamiliar with the buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trilamb wrote:
Yes we eventually realized the Port is a specific building that makes that example make sense, but man that was not the best example to pick since it can easily lead to confusion when you're unfamiliar with the buildings.

On the other hand, it's a good example from the point of illustrating a nuance that players might otherwise be unsure about.

If "Port" were consistently capitalized in the example, or even called out as a type of structure, that would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.