BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: [RESOLVED] Portal Games is making me want to cry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
UPDATE: Portal emailed me back saying that they are sending a new set of promos! Hooray!

Hopefully all the rest of you get your issues resolved quickly.

For me Portal went above and beyond by also issuing a refund (which to be honest makes me a little uncomfortable. I would like for them to get the money for the promos. To me, thats the point of them.)

Portal, I am still a fan boy of yours!

I really hate writing this.

Let me start by saying I am a huge Portal fan boy. I love all of their games and support them like no other.

But.... (there's always a but)

I ordered a handful of promos from their store and they arrived in terrible condition. I describe it as if they were in a tornado while a dog was chewing on it, all while the package was being fed through a wood chipper.

Here is the sad part in the story for me though. (It feels like meeting your hero and finding out that he is not all that you thought he was.)

I contacted portal games through their email: portal at portalgames dot pl

...no reply...

I contacted Ignacy on here through PM and waited. Saw that he had been online! and waited. Saw where he posted on the forums. and waited. and waited.

...no reply...

I tried reaching them through PayPal.

...no reply...

I think tonight I have seen my hero for who he really is. cry

Hopefully Essen is keeping them super busy and that is the excuse, but excuses are like arrrharrrharrrh everybody has one. I really want to see them in the same perfect light as I once did, but this makes it a hard pill to swallow.

Since BGG'ers love to see pictures. Pics or it didn't happen am I right?

These are the only survivors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Portal Games is making me want to cry
Maybe try reaching out to Chevee:

Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Michael, I know this if very disappointing (and painful to see in pictures) but I'm pretty confident that Ignacy is probably already forwarding your dilemma to the appropriate people to make it right. Hang in there!

Redd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thank you guys.

In all fairness to Portal, I did only contact them on Sept 29th. (7 days ago)

Hopefully it has already been dealt with, but what stings the most is not getting a reply from any of the three routes (especially BGG) after seeing Ignacy reply in the forums.

I understand that he and all of Portal are very busy though. Did I mention they are my favorite publisher? That's really why I am the most disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
Thank you guys.

In all fairness to Portal, I did only contact them on Sept 29th. (7 days ago)

Hopefully it has already been dealt with, but what stings the most is not getting a reply from any of the three routes (especially BGG) after seeing Ignacy reply in the forums.

I understand that he and all of Portal are very busy though. Did I mention they are my favorite publisher? That's really why I am the most disappointed.

I wouldn't hold your breath, I've been trying to contact them about a shipping charge for a month now. I really liked their games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Those are mangled. The most amazing thing to me is that the spyglass managed to arrive unscathed. That seems the most likely candidate to not survive the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The irony is that one of your survivors is intended to be destroyed.

Perhaps they were trying to make the game material seem like it had actually been through a shipwreck. It's all about thematic flair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Har
msg tools
According to your pictures, they've even messed with Texas.

We've been instructed countless times NOT to do that. That's mighty reckless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Gritz
msg tools
Their customer service must be backed up, I've been waiting to hear from them for about a week too. My copy of Cry Havoc was missing a whole bag of miniatures and they haven't responded yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shane
Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I ordered promos from Portal twice, and they always came in a "black garbage bag". Nothing else, the promos are straight in the plastic bag and in the mail.

Needless to say, my first shipment was pretty banged up. The second one survived the trip however... but that's the last time I will be ordering from them.

At least use a padded envelope Portal, come on!! (On a second thought, at least the value they declare for customs goes with the effort to protect the content ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Essen is next week and I'm sure they are just incredibly busy at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure they'll reply. I've always had great luck with them. That having been said, that looks less like something they did and more of a problem with the post office. Seriously, it's like the USPS decided to run your package over with a mail truck, let some wild animals have a go at it and then, just for good measure, played a game of tee ball with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
All this stuff about "too busy because of Essen" really bugs me. That's not an excuse for poor customer service. Essen wasn't a surprise and they could have implemented a plan to keep the lines of communication open. Even if they set up an automated e-mail reply saying, "We are preparing for Essen, so there will likely be delays in our responses. Please allow 7 - 14 days for a reply" or something like that. Customer service should never be silent for a long period of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
do note posting this in "discussing retailers" may get you more page views... but your post will be lost in the ether pretty quick... while if you posted it in the publisher's forums over at

Portal Games

anyone checking the publisher out will likely see your post for years to come. imho ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Craumer
United States
Fulton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how posting online gets a response much quicker than any direct paths of communication. This is exactly how I got a response out of Game Salute a few years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:

Was the package perhaps delivered by a rabid wolverine? TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered many times through Portal Games and have found the vast majority of the time no issues. The few times there were problems they fixed them in a timely fashion (I consider a week to be fairly reasonable).

Good to know you had everything fixed up.

Here's an example of poor customer service. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.