Subject: I want to go on an adventure! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoy seeing what the folks here recommend when I ask for suggestions, I have discovered/purchased some great games as a result. So here I go again...

I'm craving a board game adventure, something super immersive with high replay value. I've been keeping half an eye on Star Trek: Frontiers wondering if that would fit the bill. Needs to play well with 2, and I don't like lots of magic, so there goes half of the games out there.

Thanks for helping me spend my money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How much magic is okay? Tales of the Arabian Nights seems like a great choice, but perhaps too magical.

UPDATE: After looking at your collection and realizing there is no magic anywhere in there, I think Tales would not be a good option for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - not much magic in Tolkien's world, and if there is any, it is very subtle.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at Runebound (Third Edition). I must say that for me it's wat comes closest to a fantasy adventure (as in taking quests, acquiring skills and gear, improving over time etc). It does have magical damage but that works the same as physical damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island? Very thematic with several different scenarios.
It is a cooperative game with focus on survival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind PnP, look at Heroes of Feonora. But it has a lot to PnP.

You decide what skills your character has, and if you don't want magic, then don't choose to be a Magic User. Then if no one hires a Companion who is a Magic User, there won't be any magic in the game.

There are a couple foes who can only be defeated with magic, but you can run away from an encounter, and hope they don't succeed in damaging you during the chase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game to be quite an adventure, replayable and without magic. You may consider buying the new version, Dead of Winter: The Long Night.

Sadly, it totally fails in the 2-player department shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is a great 2-player adventure/dungeon crawler. It ONLY plays two, though, so you can't have a bunch play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look into these suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look into these suggestions.

Star Trek Frontiers is a re-theme of Mage Knight, which is a fantastic game, but not really about "adventuring".

Maybe:
Archipelago *Kind of a euro worker placement thing about exploring islands and creating colonies.
Legends of Andor *Pretty puzzly but you kind of explore the world and it's very light(ish) hearted and fun

Absolutely:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases *Not super replayable but the 10 cases + [new expansion] have lasted us a few as we only play it once in awhile*
Tales of the Arabian Nights *I don't know what you have against magic but there's like... genies in this, who I guess are kind of magical?* Likewise there is Agents of SMERSH which is a Cold War re-theme without any magic.. might be right up your alley [I'm selling it too if you're interested! ]
Mythos Tales *Lovecraftian version of Sherlock Holmes.. probably magic involved but I haven't really seen any in 2 cases thus far.

I wouldn't really consider any previous recommendation as being too much about "adventuring" personally. The latter 3 recommendations I posted are as good as you can get for "adventuring". If I had to tell you to buy one now, it would be Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases. It is a paragraph based game however, with no moving parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LKM 2023
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Nessie76 wrote:
Not sure if low fantasy would be your thing? So a game based on historical cultures with some fantasy blended in but very much in a grim and gritty way?
Legends Untold coming soon.

Sounds cool but hard to tell much without the rules. Will you be posting those to the files section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in historical adventure, maybe Expedition: Northwest Passage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
7 Wonders Duel, Axis & Allies Miniatures, or D-Day Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

Edit: Actually not sure how any would be considered adventure games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd suggest that you consider snagging a copy of Gloomhaven, due out in another month or two. It is an absolutely massive game and promises to be "super immersive with high replay value" to the Nth power. It is a D&D style theme, so maybe some magic, but I don't know it is obligatory. If you want it this year I think you need to pre-order a copy soon, because there will be a delay between KS and preorder shipments and retail availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're OK with dark adventures that include a lot of gunfire and dead aliens, I absolutely love Level 7: Omega Protocol. Though to be fair you'll play it 9-10 times and then you're done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I want gloomhaven too I'm always looking for a good adventure game - I basically want zelda in a box but nothing quite fits. have high hopes for the above and also The 7th Continent another new one or even SeaFall

Galaxy Trucker is a good fun game and kind of feels like you're off on an adventure.

Also,you get to go off on mini adventures in Above and Below

Or what about Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - haven't played this but looks interesting maybe???

Robinson crusoe also looks good but I normally hate co-ops so reluctant to spend out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
I want gloomhaven too I'm always looking for a good adventure game - I basically want zelda in a box but nothing quite fits. have high hopes for the above and also The 7th Continent another new one or even SeaFall

Galaxy Trucker is a good fun game and kind of feels like you're off on an adventure.

Also,you get to go off on mini adventures in Above and Below

Or what about Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - haven't played this but looks interesting maybe???

Robinson crusoe also looks good but I normally hate co-ops so reluctant to spend out?

I've been meaning to look into Above and Below a bit more. I haven't really given it more than a cursory observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and Below is a great game that to me tells a great story. I have played it a number of times now, but always at the 3 player count so I can't say if it plays well at 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I've been meaning to look into Above and Below a bit more. I haven't really given it more than a cursory observation.

You may want to have a look at it's successor Near and Far. It's more of the adventure stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0 replayability but if you want an adventure then T.I.M.E Stories delivers better than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. Ideal with 2. Probably the best actual story on any board game. I want to try Mythos Tales.

Above and Below is good too, but the story is just little snippets and it depends on the game group to get into it or not. You can win without bothering much with the story at all. And I like it best with 3. Looking forward to trying Near and Far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.