Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Ascendancy players!

First of all, I'd like to thank the people that have supported my Etsy shop. It means a lot to me because I'm still slowly building up my offerings and figuring out what people want and what I want to specialize in. For those that haven't seen them yet, I offer Ascendancy Starbase Tokens for the three core races of the game: https://www.etsy.com/listing/480679077/star-trek-ascendancy-...

I've had a few fans ask me what my plans are for the expansions and since there is some time before they come out, I'd like to try to involve the actual owners of the game to input their thoughts. In the end, what I design and make is for you guys to enjoy and in fact I designed the original three because the idea was brought to me by a forum user here.

So the two planned expansions are the Cardassians and Ferengi. I'd like to know what reference photos or stations you'd like me to base the designs off of. I don't know if there will be promo resin stations this time around for me to base them on, so I get to have a bit more freedom in the design. For the Cardassians, I kind of assume people would want the iconic Terok Nor station but I'm open to other ideas if there was something the majority of you prefer. The Ferengi one is a bit more tricky, since I could only find a single reference from the canceled Star Trek: Infinite game. Let me know what you guys think if you have interest in seeing those made.

While I haven't started on a design yet, I suspect if I do go with Terok Nor, it would have to be styled in a way where the structure is thicker looking than the original because of 3D printing constraints and to make it stable, the lower 3 wings/spires of it will probably touch and connect to a spine like the other stations. May be a little hard to just describe in words but any work in progress that I do I will update on this thread. Looking forward to feedback! Also, if there are any other popular board games you'd like me to take a look at designing 3D prints for, I'm always open to ideas.

Thank you,
Derick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Have you considered the question of copyright, patent and intellectual property? My uncle is a nationally famous copyright lawyer, retired now from the music world, where he helped negotiate agreements with Russia to join our system years ago. When online music started, many things changed. Now 3D printing looks great, and so does your work. But if you're running off and selling exact copies of what someone else created, I hope you've checked out any legal ramifications first.

This has come up in the miniatures world with toy soldiers, of which I'm a major collector, many times over the years. There's no problem with making things for your own use as far as I know, but if you're selling them, that's a whole different can of worms, or at least it used to be.

I support what you're doing, and don't want you to get into trouble. But I don't know enough about it myself to advise you. I mention it here, because I'm sure others will be soon venturing into this business as well.

So take care, and best of luck on your projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oncoming Storm
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I found a couple shots. Nothing canon though.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dlPQHVdYsOU/T5dkSHBIDMI/AAAAAAAAGQ...

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3/images/rule-of-...

http://www.sggaminginfo.com/wp-content/gallery/startrekinfin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
Please make some Cardassian space stations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are very cool. I just ordered a set in the faction colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of copyright, your Starbases look almost exactly the same as GF9's.

There is nothing wrong with making aftermarket stuff, but a replica of their design? That's a bit much in my opinion.

Why not use your creative side and make something unique where you're not blatantly copying someone's work? You are obviously a creative and talented guy, use that creativity to express your own vision.

Who knows, maybe you can make something cooler than they did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Speaking of copyright, your Starbases look almost exactly the same as GF9's.

There is nothing wrong with making aftermarket stuff, but a replica of their design? That's a bit much in my opinion.

Why not use your creative side and make something unique where you're not blatantly copying someone's work? You are obviously a creative and talented guy, use that creativity to express your own vision.

Who knows, maybe you can make something cooler than they did?

Hi Grish,

When it came to my Imperial Assault stuff, I had designed those on my own from scratch and you're right, I would have preferred something more unique, mainly just because I prefer items optimized for 3D printing, however these were a request by someone who wanted something as close to originals as I could. However, if there is honest interest in starbases that look nothing like the promo ones, I'd be happy to design those. Because the originals were a limited time promotion, I didn't expect them to be a problem. However, I've deactivated the listing for now and considering my options for the starbase models.

Derick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
goo Have you considered the question of copyright, patent and intellectual property? My uncle is a nationally famous copyright lawyer, retired now from the music world, where he helped negotiate agreements with Russia to join our system years ago. When online music started, many things changed. Now 3D printing looks great, and so does your work. But if you're running off and selling exact copies of what someone else created, I hope you've checked out any legal ramifications first.

This has come up in the miniatures world with toy soldiers, of which I'm a major collector, many times over the years. There's no problem with making things for your own use as far as I know, but if you're selling them, that's a whole different can of worms, or at least it used to be.

I support what you're doing, and don't want you to get into trouble. But I don't know enough about it myself to advise you. I mention it here, because I'm sure others will be soon venturing into this business as well.

So take care, and best of luck on your projects!

I've thought of IP quite a bit to be honest. Unlike most 3D printing shops, I only offer and sell items that I've designed myself and I refuse to just sell prints of models from sites like thingiverse that are of other people's work. Means my sales numbers are a minor fraction of other shops but I'm able to call the work my own. I generally try to work out unique designs that fit the purpose of the board game. My Imperial Assault items were designed to look like they could belong in a Star Wars universe but not very similar to the original cardboard tokens. Part of me probably felt that this was crossing a personal line of mine, but I had some enthusiastic players that missed out on Gencon and wanted something without having to pay the ebay style market of resellers. My mistake for doing so. I'll see if I can work something out because I do want to be able to offer something to you guys.

Derick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derick,

I mentioned it because the word on this forum is that GF9 is in fact planning to offer plastic models of the star bases in faction colors, almost exactly as you posted, if they proved popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OncomingStorm wrote:

Those were the same ones I was looking at. Do they look "Ferengi" in your opinion? Not a whole lot of original reference other than their shuttle that's considered cannon. Probably a bit weird to talk about the expansions while I'm in the midst of figuring out my options for current starbases, but I'd still like to hear feedback on ideas and stay optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Collins
United States
Pampa
Texas
flag msg tools
3rd Rule of Games: Never Trust Kyle.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you come up with some different designs, I would definitely be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Derick,

I mentioned it because the word on this forum is that GF9 is in fact planning to offer plastic models of the star bases in faction colors, almost exactly as you posted, if they proved popular.

I see. I can imagine the conflict of interest there then. I wasn't aware of that fact. I only knew about the promo ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an alternative is needed, most of the Star Trek games from the 90's had quite interesting designs, especially for Klingon and Romulan designs, while the federation has its venerable Regula 1 Space Station design. All these designs could be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lufcy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Would you be willing to provide or sell your stl files for me to print on my own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.