United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are no actions for a Legion to do in a Box that is considered adjacent to it, then it seems the only way for it to move is either if a Peacekeeping Action is done (which can't be done if there's a Tribal Leader anywhere) or if Passing (which can only be done once per turn). This seems to make it pretty much impossible to move Legions who have, for instance, finished taking care of southern/western tribes and want to either head north or even make it to a Legionary Camp to recruit additional Legion Battle Units.

Am I missing something, or is there a design intent with this apparent limitation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
If there are no actions for a Legion to do in a Box that is considered adjacent to it, then it seems the only way for it to move is either if a Peacekeeping Action is done (which can't be done if there's a Tribal Leader anywhere) or if Passing (which can only be done once per turn). This seems to make it pretty much impossible to move Legions who have, for instance, finished taking care of southern/western tribes and want to either head north or even make it to a Legionary Camp to recruit additional Legion Battle Units.

Am I missing something, or is there a design intent with this apparent limitation?

That's an intentional limitation. The idea is that every action you take, you have to be doing something, rather than just marching around avoiding everybody and everything. Note that the road network means that two of the brown and two of the green spaces are adjacent to all of the camps and the blue spaces, and each other, and that if there's nothing else to do in those spaces, you can always place a garrison (the only limitation would be if there was a leader in that specific Region).

In practice you're going to keep one of your Legions in a camp until you're ready to head North (after you've gotten your reinforcements) to finish off the green region and take on the red region; campaigns take some planning, after all. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Chi
msg tools
mbmb
Would Peacekeeping count as an action?

Let's say my goal is to move Agricola and the 20th Legion from Ordovices to their home camp at Deva Victrix so that I can recruit a Legion Battle Unit in the Houskeeping phase.

Could I first move them to Deva Victrix then perform a Peacekeeping action? Presumably the peackeeping would be taking place in the environs around the camp and not the camp proper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
keystone159 wrote:
Would Peacekeeping count as an action?

Let's say my goal is to move Agricola and the 20th Legion from Ordovices to their home camp at Deva Victrix so that I can recruit a Legion Battle Unit in the Houskeeping phase.

Could I first move them to Deva Victrix then perform a Peacekeeping action? Presumably the peackeeping would be taking place in the environs around the camp and not the camp proper.

Yes, peacekeeping is an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Grunewald
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played today without reviewing this question. I ended up using the peacekeeping action to get the Legion to a base where I could do some recruiting. I ended up staying there a couple urns to build up some troops. I then used the Reorganize Legions (with the legions all being adjacent to each other) to balance troops and get the single AQUILA units to use as garrison troops). As a solitaire game this one lets you make a lot of decisions, but can disrupt your great plans easily. You definitely have to pay attention. I also think that it shows a lot of variables that lead to replays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
spindoc wrote:

That's an intentional limitation. The idea is that every action you take, you have to be doing something, rather than just marching around avoiding everybody and everything. Note that the road network means that two of the brown and two of the green spaces are adjacent to all of the camps and the blue spaces, and each other, and that if there's nothing else to do in those spaces, you can always place a garrison (the only limitation would be if there was a leader in that specific Region).

In practice you're going to keep one of your Legions in a camp until you're ready to head North (after you've gotten your reinforcements) to finish off the green region and take on the red region; campaigns take some planning, after all. :-)

Tom, but if I cannot perform Peacekeeping b/c Calgacus is in the red region, how can I move any legion to its legion camp (in order to take some reinforcements, in example)? the only way is to do the PASS action, so probably you will not reach the VP turn limit, so you will end the game.

Is that true?

And other question...how can I move a Legion from one area to an adjacent area (unoccupied) trying to reach the occupied north boxes? (we say red areas)?
It's clear that I'm doing really wrong the Legion movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erwin wrote:
tomrussell wrote:
spindoc wrote:

Tom, but if I cannot perform Peacekeeping b/c Calgacus is in the red region, how can I move any legion to its legion camp (in order to take some reinforcements, in example)? the only way is to do the PASS action, so probably you will not reach the VP turn limit, so you will end the game.

Is that true?

More-or-less; pass would be your only option in that case. And really, you shouldn't be passing unless you're going to meet the VP threshold. It requires some planning. Generally I leave one Legion in or near the camps for just such an eventuality.

Quote:
And other question...how can I move a Legion from one area to an adjacent area (unoccupied) trying to reach the occupied north boxes? (we say red areas)?

You would be taking an action with each movement. That could be a garrison action; that could be a pass action; that could be a peacekeeping action IF there's no leader/Calgacus on the map. Thematically, think of it as Calgacus's defiance having a slight emboldening effect on the other peoples of Britain - not so much where guys are popping up into actual rebellion, but enough to slow down movement North. Really, by the time you've handled things in the green region, you should be one or two actions from entering the red region. Careful planning will prevent any problems here.

That said, I am looking long and hard at the "spam peacekeeping" exploit, and the possibility of removing the action altogether and modifying the movement rules to allow for two-box moves through unoccupied boxes in a subsequent edition of revised/living rules.

Quote:
It's clear that I'm doing really wrong the Legion movement

Well, basically: before you do an action, you can move from one box to the adjacent box (where the action is performed). If multiple Legions are stacked together, they can move and act together. The double movement lines mean that all those boxes thus connected are adjacent to one another, as well as being adjacent to any boxes that are adjacent to those double line boxes. And that's it, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.