Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
I am unsure about how Mitra's Halo (spell) works.

As I understand it (for a Hero):
1: you put 3 gems on the spell card (at any time in the game turn).
2: you place the appropriate cardboard ring around your character figure.
3a: next start/end phase you slide the gems to the fatigue pile.
3b: whenever you change from cautious to aggressive stance, the cardboard ring comes off.
4: you can only have 1 halo working at the time

In a recent review video, the gems stayed on the spell card until the change of stance (which could be for many game turns, theoretically, thus locking the gems for other actions). I am not sure about that ?

EDIT: Regarding 3a and 3b: whatever happens first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario garcia
msg tools
mbmb
Which are your sources? Could you link whatever materials you are referring to?
I haven't seen any official rules on Mitra's Halo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Your assessment sounds right. The gems are locked. To me, this spell looks like its used as a last ditch effort to save a character from a hit. So you use it when it's not your turn, pay your gems and then it goes away when you activate on your next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
yynderjohn wrote:
Your assessment sounds right. The gems are locked. To me, this spell looks like its used as a last ditch effort to save a character from a hit. So you use it when it's not your turn, pay your gems and then it goes away when you activate on your next turn.

No, you have to use it on your turn and it can last several rounds, provided you don't switch from passive to aggressive stand.

@stenfisker: I agree with your understanding of the spell. The gems are not stuck on the spell card until the halo wears off, Mithra's Halo's card is like another action zone, like Attack, Ranged Attack, etc.

edit: I was wrong on the "only on your turn" part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Simon,
The card says you can use it 'at any time'. I can see either interpretation as being valid. I guess we'll have to wait for the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
yynderjohn wrote:
Simon,
The card says you can use it 'at any time'. I can see either interpretation as being valid. I guess we'll have to wait for the FAQ.

According to the english version of the players' rules p.19, to use a spell during the opponent's turn, there must be a special symbol on a spell card (a lightning symbol). I don't have a definitive version of Mithra's halo at hand but if there is such symbol, you are right and it can be used on the opponent's turn, if not, you have to use it during your own turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
It does have the lightning bolt symbol on the card. There's a recent review video by Barry something that shows the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stenfisker wrote:

As I understand it (for a Hero):
1: you put 3 gems on the spell card (at any time in the game turn).
2: you place the appropriate cardboard ring around your character figure.
3a: next start/end phase you slide the gems to the fatigue pile.
3b: whenever you change from cautious to aggressive stance, the cardboard ring comes off.
4: you can only have 1 halo working at the time

1: yes. You can activate this spell on heroes turn or on the Overlord's turn (lightning icon).
2: yes.
3a: yes again, the gems slide in the fatigue box at the end of the turn when you activate the spell (heroes turn or Overlord's turn).
3b: yes, the spell last as long as the hero does not change from cautious to agressive.
4: yes.

You got it right Sten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
dariog wrote:
Which are your sources? Could you link whatever materials you are referring to?
I haven't seen any official rules on Mitra's Halo...

I'm just trying to figure out the rules and the flow of the gameplay based on the rulebooks and what I pick up in different videos and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw that Barry posted an updated version of his video review on youtube (with rule corrections and clarifications).
Rule corrections are @ 11:27 - 12:46 (Mitra's Halo) - 17:04 - 18:43

Edit/TLDR: Confirms what stenfisker and pallantides wrote above about the Halo..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was quick !
Nice to get it clarified, thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Diest-Webbekom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I didn't even know that you could use the cardboard ring to indicate its effect... Where did you read this?

2) What does the following (bold) text on the (english) card imply?

"This effect ends when you change from cautious to aggressive or when your group is activated."

Dos this means the effect lasts only one turn??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swinkelp wrote:
1) 2) What does the following (bold) text on the (english) card imply?

"This effect ends when you change from cautious to aggressive or when your group is activated."

Does this means the effect lasts only one turn??

It's for the OL troops...when this kind of spell (Set's Halo for example) is used by a sorcerer. Once cast, the spell last until the tile is activated again.

For the hero, once cast, the spell last until the hero becomes active (aggressive) after a turn where he was inactive (cautious). So it can last for some turns if you got enough gems to stay active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I'm not sure exactly what Mitra's Halo means by "your armor value is increased by 2". For heroes, Armor value is always associated with equipment and therefore a particular color of dice. So what color of dice does a hero with Mitra's Halo add to their defense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I'm not sure exactly what Mitra's Halo means by "your armor value is increased by 2". For heroes, Armor value is always associated with equipment and therefore a particular color of dice. So what color of dice does a hero with Mitra's Halo add to their defense?

It just add 2 passive defenses (= first 2 damages are mitigated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dYnkYn wrote:
aubaine wrote:

It just add 2 passive defenses (= first 2 damages are mitigated).

But this doesn't make sense to me since in every other instance of a hero using "armor", it refers to a specific, rolled die color. Is this the only situation in which a hero uses the OL armor mechanic where it just reduces the damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:
But this doesn't make sense to me since in every other instance of a hero using "armor", it refers to a specific, rolled die color.

All of the OL monster tiles have a number next to their armor rating. Look at the Snake's tile. This is the amount of damage absorbed for each attack.

The Halo provides the same benefit, but for Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you both. I guess I'm just being dense here. It just wasn't clear to me that the OL armor mechanism would so easily be applied to a hero without more explicit text saying as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Picha
msg tools
mb
Can Mitra's Halo be cast on a different hero than the spellcaster himself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tracnik wrote:
Can Mitra's Halo be cast on a different hero than the spellcaster himself?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Welk
msg tools
mb
Hi!
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I still have a question regarding this spell that- I feel - has not been answered unequivocal.

To make it short, let's say we play the first scenario, Hadratus starts the game with Mitra's Halo already cast.

So, until the start of the turn, Hadratus has an Armor value of 2 because of the spell.

Now the game starts and Hadratus decides to act aggressively this turn. Two possible things happen, as far as I can see it:

1. People at Facebook told me, the Halo stays, only to end once Hadratus spent one of his next turns cautious and after that starts his turn aggressive once more.

They argument that the spell is a magical barrier to be used once you charge into the enemy and that will only disappear when the danger is gone and you take a rest.

or

2. I say that the spell ends, because he chooses aggressive stance. The only way to keep the spell up would be to spend the round cautious.

When I read the spell, it was clearly meant to be a "Do not disturb"-Signal, to be used in emergency (during the enemies round, when attacked) and that will only stay up as long as you concentrate on it (and cover behind your barrier, so to speak). That is the exact way it works for the Overlord, too. (You can spend several rounds not activating that sorcerer, so the spell stays).

So... I am sure that No. 2, my solution is at least RAI...
Can you please tell me what is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

Solution 1 is correct. Solution 2 is incorrect (and I disagree that this solution is RAI).

To be fair, there are currently enough issues with the RAW to bother with the RAI zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
Hello,

Solution 1 is correct. Solution 2 is incorrect (and I disagree that this solution is RAI).

To be fair, there are currently enough issues with the RAW to bother with the RAI zombie

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:
Ok, thank you both. I guess I'm just being dense here. It just wasn't clear to me that the OL armor mechanism would so easily be applied to a hero without more explicit text saying as much.

I was exactly the same - I thought it would give extra dice like armour items from reading the card, etc. However, I'm guessing that the armour items give dice, so this would have become more obvious when we were playing as the armour value was just a number and didn't actually list dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.