Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Legendary DC: Gotham Nights - Finished!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Re: Legendary DC: Gotham Nights - Testing Game Play!
Iter69 wrote:
Your work is great!!
I am writing from a community of over 20 Legendary players in Spain who are looking forward to playing with the DC characters.
Thank you!
Thank you very much. Would love to get your feed back after you have played with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Have been playing the game and tweaking the cards, updating them here as we go. Still need to look at one or two of Catwoman's cards and all 4 of Batgirls. Heroes nearly locked down. Then pretty much overhauling the Villain Groups to make them more on theme and individual. I will continue to update the original files here as we go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Death of the Family Villain Set.

Updated this group to be more cohesive to the story. And we added the keyword Escalate for Masterminds, which means when the Mastermind is revealed, you execute his Strike command, one at a time, for each Strike that has been revealed.

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
End Game Villain set has been tweaked.

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Mother's Children group tweaked

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Night of Owls Villain set tweaked

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Trouble in Mind Villain Set has been tweaked. Need new art for Choke and Mind Control the Masses.

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I noticed a Spelling error in Starling's Damn! card. 'Uncle' in the flavor text. If you are planning on making these compatible with normal legendary it might be worth having an equivalent terms section on your rules sheet. This is a project I will definitely be keeping an eye on. It looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
djhalstead wrote:
I noticed a Spelling error in Starling's Damn! card. 'Uncle' in the flavor text.

Thanks so much for that. Fixed and uploaded the new card now. It's crazy how many times I've checked and played with this card and not seen that. Happy that people are still checking my work.

djhalstead wrote:
If you are planning on making these compatible with normal legendary it might be worth having an equivalent terms section on your rules sheet.
Good idea. Will add that to the comprehensive rewrite that is going to be needed.

djhalstead wrote:
This is a project I will definitely be keeping an eye on. It looks great!
I appreciate that. Still making some changes from the last lot of play testing, and I hope to be doing some testing of the update using Tabletop Simulator on Steam soonish. Wondering if anyone here might like to join me for a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fletch_smf wrote:
I appreciate that. Still making some changes from the last lot of play testing, and I hope to be doing some testing of the update using Tabletop Simulator on Steam soonish. Wondering if anyone here might like to join me for a game?

Let me know when! Next two weeks might be busy, but I also might be able to work it. Presidents' Day Weekend would likely work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Fallout fanMicrobadge: Resident Evil Deck Building Game fanMicrobadge: Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin fanMicrobadge: CapCom Street Fighter Deck-Building Game fan
Fletch_smf wrote:
djhalstead wrote:
I noticed a Spelling error in Starling's Damn! card. 'Uncle' in the flavor text.

Thanks so much for that. Fixed and uploaded the new card now. It's crazy how many times I've checked and played with this card and not seen that. Happy that people are still checking my work.
Another note on that, you fixed the spelling on that Starling card, but removed her team now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
YBDynamo wrote:
Fletch_smf wrote:
djhalstead wrote:

Another note on that, you fixed the spelling on that Starling card, but removed her team now.
Thank you. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
New drafts of the Twist and Strike cards with some explanatory text.

External image

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
New concept for a Batgirl common. Still need a good card name.

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Roll for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: S.H.I.E.L.D. fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan
Beautiful.

What program do you use for this? Do you have a template you would be willing to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Bob_A_Mickelson wrote:
Beautiful.

What program do you use for this? Do you have a template you would be willing to share?
Photoshop. And absolutely. If they are of use to you. Or anyone.

Not at the computer with the files at the moment, but will upload and link to them in the OP when I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Photoshop files. Biggest one is 53MB

Hero Template
http://www.firechildcreations.com/Legendary/Hero.Card.Templa...

Villain/Mastermind Template
http://www.firechildcreations.com/Legendary/Villain.Mastermi...

Schemes
http://www.firechildcreations.com/Legendary/Scheme.Card.Temp...

Starting Hands
http://www.firechildcreations.com/Legendary/Starting.Hand.Ca...

Wounds and Bystanders
http://www.firechildcreations.com/Legendary/Wound.Bystander....

Let me know if any links don't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Roll for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: S.H.I.E.L.D. fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan
Thank you so much. Keep up the great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Fletch_smf wrote:
You mentioned in a previous post that some of the colors appears to be a bit off in shading during printing. To me these look a bit dark but it may just be my screen. Have you tried a second printing? What did they turn out to look like? are these templates the color corrected version?

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
I was going to say they were fine, but now you've got me guessing. It will just be the Hero Template I'll have to confirm to make sure that these templates are the updated colour grade.

I have not done a second printing yet. Getting all the card mechanics correct and play testing with them to lock them in. Once the cards are finalised I'll get the final print done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Fair enough. Very excited about this expansion. looks great. Hopefully one day youll try this again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Okay, just checked the Hero Template against my updated characters, and this grade is the most up to date. No doubt I will tweak it again after the next printing, but this is as good as it gets for the moment. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
appreciate it. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Game board based on the template at Board Game Maker dot com - I had the space for a 4th row for KO/Escape/Overrun so I split it up into the various cards. There are Schemes that want to count a certain type of card for a losing scenario so it seemed like a good idea to make separate spots for them. We also have a Red Hood card which can be recruited from the KO spot, so this will make it easy to keep it in top of the Hero Pile so you can always easily see it.

External image

http://www.firechildcreations.com/Legendary/Gotham.Nights/Ga... - 40 MB

There is no clean image of the Sidekick art for the board, so I had to grab a DC version. Which meant designing a DC Sidekick card.

External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Rules Text - Draft 3 - 22/11/18

Gotham Nights Rules Page 1
Gotham Nights Rules Page 2

Legendary
DC Legendary - Gotham Nights
Overview

This is my first custom DC Version of Legendary based on the game play of Marvel Legendary, created by Devin Low and the team at Upper Deck. It is populated with the Heroes and Villains of Gotham from selected stories of the New 52 comics, launched by DC in 2011. The Players actions are essentially the same as in Marvel Legendary and its associated games and expansions, and the following Rules assume a familiarity with how the game is played.

Game Summary
Whereas Marvel Legendary focuses on a Team of Heroes fighting against a single Mastermind with a single Scheme, DC Gotham Nights is a single city besieged by multiple Masterminds with their own evil agenda. The single Scheme, giving Evil only one way to win, has been replaced with multiple Crimes that need to be solved. Every Strike and Twist that you reveal can trigger multiple effects designed to thwart your team of Heroes.

How you Win

To claim victory you must Solve all the Crimes in Crime Alley, capture all the Masterminds in the game and ensure there are no Villains in the Batcave. Crime Alley? Villains in the Batcave? What am I talking about? Read on ...

How Evil Wins
If the Evil Wins criteria of any Crime is completed before the Crime is Solved, then Evil Wins. If Crime Alley gets overrun with Crimes, Evil Wins. If the Batcave gets overrun with Villains, Evil Wins. If the Villain Deck runs out whilst there are unsolved Crimes, then Evil Wins. Again, read on for the full explanation.

Game Set Up
The Board

Gotham Nights can be played on the board that comes with Marvel Legendary or Legendary Villains, with a little imagination. Instead of the bulk of play revolving around the Hero and Villain Decks being played out as two Rows of cards, Gotham Nights requires three main rows for card play:
- The Batcave, 5 spaces along the bottom of the board, where the Heroes are revealed from the Hero Deck so they can be recruited. Identical to the HQ and the Lair from Marvel Legendary.
- Gotham, 5 named spaces (Sewers, Bank, etc) in the row above the Batcave, where the Villains are placed from the Story Deck (identical layout to the City in Legendary).
- Crime Alley, 5 spaces above Gotham, which hold the Masterminds, their Crimes and the Crimes of the general population of Gotham, fed from the Crime Deck.

The Mastermind space is not used in Gotham Nights, and the Wounds/Bindings, Escape/Overrun & KO cards need to be relocated due to Crime Alley.

Player Deck
Each player starts with an initial deck of twelve cards, eight G.C.P.D. Officers and four Gotham S.W.A.T.

Game Stacks
Police Commissioner

There are 15 Jim Gordon cards, all worth 3 Recruit, but with different abilities. These cards are shuffled together and placed, face down, on the Maria Hill or Madam Hydra space.

Injuries
Instead of Wounds or Bindings, Players in Gotham Nights will receive Injuries. These have the Keyword Endure, which means they can be returned to the Injury Stack by discarding a total of 2 attack from your hand. Where Marvel Legendary Cards refer to Wounds or Bindings, you can substitute the word Injury when combining cards from the different games.

Bystanders
There are 30 Bystanders in Gotham Nights, including Alfred Pennyworth, Harvey Bullock & Vicky Vale. These can be combined with Bystanders from any of the Marvel games.

Hero Deck
There are 10 new Heroes to choose from in Gotham Nights, primarily from the 2 groups Bat Family or Birds of Prey. Catwoman belongs to her own group, as does Red Hood, and members of the Justice League can be gained from one of the Story lines. As usual you choose 5 Heroes (for 5 players add a sixth Hero) and shuffle all their cards together. Place the Hero Deck to the right of the Batcave.

Story Group
Each Story group in DC Legendary Gotham Nights is inspired by a story from one of 'The New 52' comics and is made up of 12 cards:
- 1 Mastermind card, which has Strike effects.
- 1 copy each of 2 different Crimes. These are similar to Schemes/Plots with Twist effects, but they have an attack value and VP points, so they can be Solved and added to a players Victory Pile.
- 4 Villain cards (generally 2 copies of two Villains) that play a roll in the story.
- 5 Copies of a Henchman.

The number of Story Groups used is dependent on the player count. Refer to the table below. The Mastermind and Crimes go into the Crime Deck, whilst the Villains and Henchmen go into the Villain Deck.

Villain Deck
The Villain Deck consist of the Story Group cards, a Villain Group (any standard 8 card set from one of the official games or the Villains and Henchmen from another Story Group), 8 Twists, 5 Strikes and a number of Bystanders (refer to the table). All these cards are shuffled together and placed to the right of Gotham

External image

Crime Deck
There are 16 generic Crimes included in DC Gotham Nights, classified as Misdemeanors, Felonies or Capital Crimes. The Crime Deck in each game is made up of 12 cards, with an equal number of each type of generic Crime chosen at random as needed. Randomly choose one of the Masterminds to be face up in Crime Alley, then shuffle the remaining Masterminds and Crimes with the generic Crimes and place the Crime Deck face down above the Villain Deck.

External image

Game Play
Player, Hero and Villain Decks work in an identical way to Marvel Legendary. Players draw a six card hand from their Deck and the Hero Deck fills the spots in the Batcave as Heroes are recruited. The Villain Deck is played 1 card at a time, at the start of each players turn, revealing the Villains that need to be overcome on the journey to victory. But before you turn over the very first card in the Villain Deck, you must reveal a Crime.

Crime Alley
If at the start of a Players Turn there are no revealed Crimes (such as the very beginning of the game), reveal the top most card of the Crime Deck and place it in the first space of Crime Alley. This is the first action of each turn, if required, and occurs before you reveal the next card from the Villain Deck. If it has an Ambush effect, it gets completed before the top card of the Villain Deck is revealed.

If a Mastermind is revealed from the Crime Deck, when there is no active Crime, then repeat the process. New cards that enter Crime Alley push existing cards along to the left.

Crimes are Solved by using a combination of Attack and Recruit. You may Solve more than 1 Crime per turn.

Masterminds cannot be fought whilst Crimes are in Gotham. A Hero cannot ignore a Crime in order to capture a Mastermind. The Hero must keep Gothamites safe from Crime before they can take on the Mastermind. This means either all Crime must be Solved before you can focus on the Masterminds, or you need to have enough Attack and Recruit in a single hand to Solve all active Crimes and fight a Mastermind.

Revealing Twists & Strikes
If more than 1 Crime is in play and a Twist card is revealed from the Villain Deck, the effects are executed in the order that the cards entered Crime Alley, performing the Twist effect on the card furthest from the Crime Deck first. If the Twist effect of a card causes another Strike or Twist effect to take place, finish executing the first Twist on all appropriate cards before you start the next set of effects. The final action of every Twist Card is to play another card from the Crime Deck. If Crime Alley is full and a Twist results in another Crime being added to Crime Alley, then Crime has overrun Gotham, and Evil Wins.

Strike effects are actioned in the same way as Twists, if more than 1 Mastermind is in play. On the rare occasion that there is no active Mastermind when a Strike is played, then another card is played from the Villain Deck. If not all Masterminds have been defeated, the Strike is then shuffled back into the Villain Deck.

Sometimes the Twist or Strike Cards themselves are used by the Crimes and Masterminds to count or indicate something during play. If you need to use the cards for multiple Crimes, grab extra unused cards as stand ins.

Revealing a Bystander
If a Bystander is played from the Villain Deck are captured by the closest Villain in Gotham. If there are no Villains in Gotham, it is captured by the closest Mastermind in Crime Alley. If there are no Villains or Masterminds, it is captured by the closest Crime in Crime Alley. If there are no Villains, Masterminds or Crimes, then it falls under the protection of the Hero closest to the Hero Deck. The player that recruits this Hero gains that Bystander.

New Keywords
Escalate
This is a Keyword exclusive to Masterminds. It immediately triggers their Strike effect for each Strike that has been used on a previous Mastermind. This means it is possible to trigger the Strike effect on a new Mastermind 5 times.

Infiltrate
This is a new Keyword that you will find on a large number of the Villains in DC Gotham Nights. In Marvel Legendary, Villains Escape or Overrun after they have traversed through the City, and generally exit the game. If a Villain has Infiltrate and it exits the Bridge space of Gotham, then you follow any action that is instructed, and the Villain then enters the Batcave, in the space underneath the Bridge. The Hero that was in that space is KO'd. Villains in the Batcave can be fought, and if a space in the Batcave is reclaimed, then fill it with the top card of the Hero Deck as per usual. If a second Villain Infiltrates the Batcave, then the Villains get pushed along, left to right, and another Hero is KO'd from the Batcave. If at any point 5 Villains have Infiltrated the Batcave, then the Villains have taken control and Evil Wins.

Revive
In the DC crossover story 'The Night of the Owls', our Heroes fight a number of Villains called Talons. They are essentially immortal with unending healing ability, and thus are very nearly impossible to get rid of for good. These Villains very often Revive after they have been taken out in the story and so we created a mechanic to reflect that. If you Fight a Villain with Revive, you look at the top card of the Villain Deck. Only if you reveal a Crime Twist or Strike do you get to add the Villain to your Victory Pile. Any other card means the Villain is shuffled back into the Villain Deck to return at a later time.

Don't be tempted to let these Villains Escape. They have Infiltrate and will soon overrun the Batcave. You must deal with them as they come up, even if it is only temporary.

Returning Keywords
Charge
The selected card moves forward the required number of spaces, pushing all Villains before it forward.
Demolish
Reveal the top card of the Ally Deck, note its cost, and put it on the bottom of the Ally Deck. Each player reveals their hand and discards a card with that cost.
Savior
This keyword ability on Heroes and Villains rewards you for saving the innocent. It means “Use this ability if you have at least 3 Bystanders in your Victory Pile.”
Spectrum
You can use a card’s Spectrum abilities only if you have at least 3 classes of Hero.
Patrol
Check a space in Gotham, and if the criteria is met, use the ability.
Versatile
When you play a card with the keyword “Versatile” you must first choose
between Recruit and Fight. Once you have chosen, the card provides recruit or fight equal to the Versatile value.
Wall-Crawl
A newly recruited card with Wall-Crawl gets added to the top of your deck rather than your Discard Pile.

Card Clarifications
Bomb Threats in Gotham
When this Crime is Solved, the space it was may be used to hold Villains again. Any Gotham spaces occupied by Twists remain destroyed and are out of use for the remainder of the game.
A Clan of One - Katana
You do not get +1 attack for cards that you Dodge or Discard due to an instruction of another card.
Intoxicate Gotham
To randomly draw a Bystander or G.C.P.D. Commissioner, take the top cards of both of those decks, and shuffle them together, whilst keeping them face down. Then draw one, and replace the other, still face down, back on top of the deck it came from. If you are playing with Sidekicks, New Recruits, or other similar cards, then you may add them to the mix as well.
The Joker - End Game
The Joker collects Injuries and uses them to recruit Heroes as Villains. He may recruit Sidekicks, New Recruits, G.C.P.D. Commissioners and any Heroes in the Batcave. The Joker should buy the best Hero possible with the Recruit he has.

Game Contents
216 necessary cards - 4 Decks of 54 cards
14 Cards for 10 different Heroes
12 Cards for 5 different Story Groups
16 Generic Crimes

162 optional cards - 3 Decks of 54 cards
42 G.C.P.D. Officer (2 spare)
21 Gotham S.W.A.T. (1 spare)
15 G.C.P.D. Commissioner
15 Sidekicks
30 Bystanders
24 Injuries
9 Crime Twists
6 Strikes

Credits & Acknowledgements.
Game Design by Shane Fletcher
Card Design by Shane Fletcher and Iain Wallace
From an original concept by Michael Strauss
Based on Marvel Legendary, designed by Devin Low and developed by the Team at Upper Deck. Buy their games. Support their company and the people they employ.
Card Design based on the templates created by Upper Deck, using art, without permission, from DC Comics. Buy their comics in paper form or as digital downloads. Support their company and the people they employ.
Special thanks to all the members of the BoardGameGeek.com forum, who inspired this work through their amazing creativity.

This game is produced as a work of fan fiction, and all the characters are owned by people and companies not affiliated with me. I give permission for my work in creating this game to be freely used by anyone that wishes to use it recreationally. No-one may reproduce any portion of this game with an intent to make money, and the copyright, trademark and I.P. of all the artwork and game play remains with the original creators, owners and publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |