Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was two years after this department was investigated by the DoJ for excessive violence. Clearly, the investigation made a difference in their behavior.

In case you don't want to watch the entire video, here's the crime he was committing.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
jaywalking

On the other hand, drugs were found in his car.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
excedrin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Yeah.

3 seconds of the event?

Whoa. What's this?!?

Lost the link, but it was easy to find. Jaywalking is a misdemeanor in Ohio? AND it is cumulative with other traffic violations. THAT is excessive.

To whit, jay walking is a 4th degree misdemeanor, but if you've had a traffic violation it could be 3rd degree or even 2nd.

To put that in perspective, in your state jaywalking is probably a minor violation worthy of a fine, similar to a burned out blinker. In Ohio it is a real crime, worthy of 30 days.

Maybe it's like carrying an unconcealed gun in Texas, as opposed to carrying that same gun in DC?

Literate people think it's a minor thing, illiterate Ohio Trump supporters are much more serious about jaywalking.

Who are we to judge?

We are their employers. We expect them to protect and serve.

Their number one priority is not to make sure they come home safe at night- it's to make sure the citizens come home safe at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Literate people think it's a minor thing, illiterate Ohio Trump supporters are much more serious about jaywalking.

Who are we to judge?

But the offence would have been dealt with adequately by the court. The seriousness of the offence is neither here nor there.

It just isn't acceptable to violently assault someone who has been arrested, and is in cuffs, and under control with multiple police-officers around him.

It is not the police's place to enact physical punishment of a suspect during, or immediately after, arrest. It is the place of the court to try any suspect fairly and punish them appropriately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to a more free America, an America where if you break any law they beat the crap out of you if you are lucky.

Now remind me, is Koldie a libertarian or Trumpite, because which ever of those he is this is the thugmerica they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
andyl wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Who are we to judge?

But the offence would have been dealt with adequately by the court. The seriousness of the offence is neither here nor there.

It just isn't acceptable to violently assault someone who has been arrested, and is in cuffs, and under control with multiple police-officers around him.

It is not the police's place to enact physical punishment of a suspect during, or immediately after, arrest. It is the place of the court to try any suspect fairly and punish them appropriately.

There you go judging. Do you really want to go there?

You think Ohio is silly?

In Ohio people can legally watch TV without a license.

Reaction and not reading your strong point huh?

I never said anything about whether Ohio is silly for having jaywalking as an offence or a 2nd degree misdemeanor. That is up to them. My point was entirely about the police behaviour - which was unacceptable. What we saw was unacceptable for a jaywalking suspect, unacceptable for a drugs suspect, unacceptable for a theft suspect, unacceptable for a murder suspect.

TBH it is probably unacceptable for most Ohioans too. For a start if every arrest went down like that they would be paying a shit ton of extra taxes to replace windscreens (let alone the ensuing compensation there would be if people had access to smart lawyers). But I am sure that most of them also want the courts to decide guilt and punishment, and do not want arbitrary violent assault enacted by the police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
andyl wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Who are we to judge?

There you go judging. Do you really want to go there?

You think Ohio is silly?

In Ohio people can legally watch TV without a license.

Reaction and not reading your strong point huh?

I never said anything about whether Ohio is silly for having jaywalking as an offence or a 2nd degree misdemeanor. That is up to them. My point was entirely about the police behaviour - which was unacceptable. What we saw was unacceptable for a jaywalking suspect, unacceptable for a drugs suspect, unacceptable for a theft suspect, unacceptable for a murder suspect.

TBH it is probably unacceptable for most Ohioans too. For a start if every arrest went down like that they would be paying a shit ton of extra taxes to replace windscreens (let alone the ensuing compensation there would be if people had access to smart lawyers). But I am sure that most of them also want the courts to decide guilt and punishment, and do not want arbitrary violent assault enacted by the police.

I think its the Koldfoot defence. You say something is bad. He responds with some irrelevance from your country. (Often incorrect). I think he caught it from Tripp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty short video, but it is dishonest to say that dude wasn't resisting the police. He was screaming, he wasn't properly handcuffed (you can see one of his arms behind his back which clearly isn't correctly handcuffed due to the guy fighting with the cops). Also breaking a window does not necessarily require a great deal of force. I seriously doubt the cops intended to slam his head into the window. TYT is mostly full of shit here, as per usual. This video falls perfectly in line with many of the stupid videos conservatives use on their right wing blog sites to make their own stupid points.

There will be no discipline resulting from this event because what TYT claims happened here is not anywhere near the full story, as can easily be seen by just watching the video that TYT uses as evidence. I'm sure the full video would have been even more enlightening. Some dude goes insane after being given a ticket for jaywalking, yelling at the police, perhaps assaulting them or spitting on them, and then being handcuffed doesn't fit the liberal narrative though, of course.

Is there no full video of this incident available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
This is a pretty short video, but it is dishonest to say that dude wasn't resisting the police. He was screaming,

He can scream all he likes. That isn't violent resistance - the four officers were in no danger.

Quote:
he wasn't properly handcuffed (you can see one of his arms behind his back which clearly isn't correctly handcuffed due to the guy fighting with the cops).

So four police officers cannot correctly handcuff a single man?

'Fighting' - there was certainly some passive resistance but not in my opinion violent resistance. If there was 'fighting' why were three of the cops completely hands-off whilst the fourth was marching him to the car?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
This is a pretty short video, but it is dishonest to say that dude wasn't resisting the police. He was screaming, he wasn't properly handcuffed (you can see one of his arms behind his back which clearly isn't correctly handcuffed due to the guy fighting with the cops). Also breaking a window does not necessarily require a great deal of force. I seriously doubt the cops intended to slam his head into the window. TYT is mostly full of shit here, as per usual. This video falls perfectly in line with many of the stupid videos conservatives use on their right wing blog sites to make their own stupid points.

There will be no discipline resulting from this event because what TYT claims happened here is not anywhere near the full story, as can easily be seen by just watching the video that TYT uses as evidence. I'm sure the full video would have been even more enlightening. Some dude goes insane after being given a ticket for jaywalking, yelling at the police, perhaps assaulting them or spitting on them, and then being handcuffed doesn't fit the liberal narrative though, of course.

Even grsnting the guy is agitsted in the video and breaking the windshield might have not been the intent, can we agree thst his original crime 'crossing the street while black' is BS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
sfox wrote:

Even grsnting the guy is agitsted in the video and breaking the windshield might have not been the intent, can we agree thst his original crime 'crossing the street while black' is BS?

I have no information available to me to say anything about that. Did the guy run across a busy street, forcing cars to stop? How often do they enforce jaywalking in that area? Did the guy run across the street to his car after seeing the police car approaching (or have the appearance of doing so)? Is the area known for street corner drug dealing or pimping? Did the guy drive off and then refuse to pull over for several miles after the cops got behind him and turned on their lights? There are all sorts of valid reasons why the arrest could have occurred. I've got no idea what happened, do you have any more information on this incident?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
sfox wrote:

I have no information available to me to say anything about that. Did the guy run across a busy street, forcing cars to stop? How often do they enforce jaywalking in that area? Did the guy run across the street to his car after seeing the police car approaching (or have the appearance of doing so)? Is the area known for street corner drug dealing or pimping? There are all sorts of valid reasons why the arrest could have occurred. I've got no idea what happened, do you have any more information on this incident?

Yes, there was an article on it by not TYT a couple days ago in my feed. It had more highlights but it definately shook out as a 'while black' case thwt got out of hand. Google should bring better analysis up if you dig, I need to shower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
So from doing a big of googling on the incident, based on what I understand, the guy was known by the police and he had been convicted in the past of drug and weapons related crimes. There had been a lot of recent reports of drug dealing in the area. Clearly the jaywalking ticket was just an excuse to be able to search the guy. Probably a bit of excessive force employed, but no, this wasn't a case of the police just randomly harassing a black man.

The TYT narrative is complete horse shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
So from doing a big of googling on the incident, based on what I understand, the guy was known by the police and he had been convicted in the past of drug and weapons related crimes. There had been a lot of recent reports of drug dealing in the area. Clearly the jaywalking ticket was just an excuse to be able to search the guy. Probably a bit of excessive force employed, but no, this wasn't a case of the police just randomly harassing a black man.

The TYT narrative is complete horse shit.

That's basically what I found. I just don't consider jaywalking a valid excuse to harrass even a past offender. Otherwise statistically you'd have tons of white folks with jaywalking charges against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Ok let's break this down.

Black man arrested for jaywalking. Seems bullshit. It should probably be ignored. If for some reason they felt the need to enforce this give him a ticket and move on. However, we don't see what happened before this. Once, I was crossing the street in Baltimore and I cut the corner in a crosswalk and the traffic cop told me to stay in the crosswalk. I was surprised they said something but I kept on walking. I bet if I would have mouthed off to the cop more would have been said and done and shit could have been escalated. Did this guy escalate it or did they just harass a black man?

Maybe they were in a bad neighborhood so this is an excuse to look for drug dealers. Who knows? It definitely makes me support body cameras.

The video shows the guy giving cops a hard time so they are going to subdue him to arrest him. Slamming him on the car that hard is overkill but I can see how in the heat of the moment they do it too hard by accident.

So this comes back to me saying, don't fight the cops. Comply with their requests as best you can and fight it out in court later. Back talking, resisting, being a dick all lead to shit escalating and end up with you having a bad day.

I thought all you Americans had to be armed to resist tyranny? When it comes around the corner you just roll over like sheep and don't resist.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Oh, I see the problem. He wasn't a Democrat Politician. If he was, he could have gotten away with pretty much anything. The law wouldn't apply.
You just can't resist crowbarring that into every thread, can you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Oh, I see the problem. He wasn't a Democrat Politician. If he was, he could have gotten away with pretty much anything. The law wouldn't apply.
How else can we know how little he cares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

"Clinton Derangement Syndrome" is simultaneously sad and amusing to the outside observer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Drew on this thread:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It's always applicable.
If the world/ bubble you live in is that small, I guess it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It's always applicable.

The FBI and the DOJ are now nothing more than tools of the Democratic Party. Washington has placed itself above the law. We all know this is true.

*we* being?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It's always applicable.

The FBI and the DOJ are now nothing more than tools of the Democratic Party. Washington has placed itself above the law. We all know this is true.

... for varying values of 'true' and 'we'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

FTFY

You should add in the "wealth" exception as well. That one also works just about every time, unless you have a bunch of politicians pissed off at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It's always applicable.

So which president was prosecuted for supplying arms to a hostile government?

This is not just the democrats, but then you do not care (about facts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Ok let's break this down.

Black man arrested for jaywalking. Seems bullshit. It should probably be ignored. If for some reason they felt the need to enforce this give him a ticket and move on. However, we don't see what happened before this. Once, I was crossing the street in Baltimore and I cut the corner in a crosswalk and the traffic cop told me to stay in the crosswalk. I was surprised they said something but I kept on walking. I bet if I would have mouthed off to the cop more would have been said and done and shit could have been escalated. Did this guy escalate it or did they just harass a black man?

Maybe they were in a bad neighborhood so this is an excuse to look for drug dealers. Who knows? It definitely makes me support body cameras.

The video shows the guy giving cops a hard time so they are going to subdue him to arrest him. Slamming him on the car that hard is overkill but I can see how in the heat of the moment they do it too hard by accident.

So this comes back to me saying, don't fight the cops. Comply with their requests as best you can and fight it out in court later. Back talking, resisting, being a dick all lead to shit escalating and end up with you having a bad day.

So basically people only have rights depending on the whim of an individual officer. Basically you want folks to shut up and take it.

An alternative course may be have certain officer lose the attitude that they are some kind of occupying force that needs to keep certain groups "in line"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.