Subject: Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Bensdorp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time reader and decided to join the conversation.

At the moment there is a game going on and I'm hoping that you could give me some advice on it.

We use 1 dice combat, simple oil rule and most optionals.

At the moment it is the start of december 1941 and we've had a very succesful 1940 barbarossa. Turkey alligned, ukraine formed Japan has vladivodstok and 3 res, persia is japanese and is transporting 2 oil from it giving the other to italy. Last turn the USSR had 8 build points ^^.

Turkey is closing in on the suez (jeruzalem is ours 2 hexes to go) but britain is strong. Italy coming from the other side but wavel is in the way.

On the bad side, france has not fallen and we have a ww1 front. Liege is in german hands together with the hex above it. Netherlands neutral belgium alligned to germany.

Us entry is low for japan with everything being thrown at germany/italy. Conquering the ussr is impossible after a terrible july/august.

So should japan stay quite or go full out? 2 chits and 2 tension only in late 1941. Oil is no problem i receive 2 from usa, 2 dutch 2 persian 1 plant and in jan/feb i gain the second.

I'm ready for taking malaysia, rabaul and burma and cylon. As mentioned earlier russia is defeated in the east but i could go for baku (got an armour on the persian/russian border). China is strong but i've got si an, lanchouw and the southern resources.

Usa did only gear up two turns ago for the first time but they will gain entry quickly if i declare war on england or france or the east indies. Is it worth it to try to keep the usa out od the war for as long as possible in the east.

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pleass
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a wild game, if Japan is ready to go then Dec is the best month for weather so it's a Tora! Tora! Tora! from me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyP wrote:
Sounds like a wild game, if Japan is ready to go then Dec is the best month for weather so it's a Tora! Tora! Tora! from me

I agree. Even if US entry vs. Japan is low now, it can change pretty quickly in 1942, since the US will start drawing an extra chit per turn in Jan/Feb '42. Strike while the iron's hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Attack! Attack! Attack!

Time is not on your side (yet) and besides which, who wants to miss out on the Pacific naval war?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bensdorp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the reactions. It is indeed a wild game. Gibralter fell to italy in the suprise impulse on a 10 (1/2 attack no plusses) in late may/june 1941 and then the turn ended before spain could be alligned on a 2. Lost initiative and reroll and the allies took it back before spain was alligned. That kept the allies in the game.

You all agree on being agressive so I'll do that. It is the most fun as well I think.

I'll post a session report if people are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pleass
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely post a report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat game. I call these 'USSR first' games.

I don't have a lot of experience with them. In the situation you describe, if the Allies are lend leasing through the wazoo to the USSR, unfortunately you may be in some trouble - if you don't think you can take the USSR down, and France is in for the long haul, your position isn't good. However, with very slow US entry and a good campaign in China, you have some compensation but I doubt it is enough to offset that France is active and Germany never got the French resources.

I'm not sure about attacking in the Pacific, but it probably does make sense to DoW if you get good weather in the Northern Monsoon and are ready (land units ready, with Amph's, marines in position, etc.) to go. If you don't do it now you may not get good weather in the Northern Monsoon when you need it.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bensdorp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I've tried to post a session report with some pictures however it is pending or sth?

A thing that I'm considering is to go on the defensive in Russia and then try to knock out France in 1942. This will be very hard but easier then defeating the USSR. Moscow held it's ground against three assaults with reasonable chances of taking it (50% often) and is now impregnable.

Greece has not fallen and I'm not that commited to it, 2 italian corpses and a turk + bulgarian corps near salonika but taking Athens will allow alligning yougoslavia. But wasting a headquarter and corpses on it will mean the end of any offensive in Russia or France but probably will mean a safe balkan front.

Is this realisicly doable or should I keep trying in Russia? When the session report is there with the pictures it might be easier to answer this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Session reports always take a bit of time to come through - and how long varies from day to day. Looking forward to reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevenrd wrote:
I've tried to post a session report with some pictures however it is pending or sth?

A thing that I'm considering is to go on the defensive in Russia and then try to knock out France in 1942. This will be very hard but easier then defeating the USSR. Moscow held it's ground against three assaults with reasonable chances of taking it (50% often) and is now impregnable.

Greece has not fallen and I'm not that commited to it, 2 italian corpses and a turk + bulgarian corps near salonika but taking Athens will allow alligning yougoslavia. But wasting a headquarter and corpses on it will mean the end of any offensive in Russia or France but probably will mean a safe balkan front.

Is this realisicly doable or should I keep trying in Russia? When the session report is there with the pictures it might be easier to answer this.

There is clearly a logic of going back for France now - it probably does make sense if you are past the point of being able to conquer or otherwise cripple the Soviets. It is a lot closer to Paris than it is to Moscow, the WWI logic. If France is kicking though it probably takes a bunch of 0-chits and massive air superiority.

That is all 'big picture'. Unfortunately, answering a question like this requires the 'little picture' - how quickly/easily can you move forces over? Will moving forces over simply give up ground in Russia for no benefit? Do you have o-chits? I think it is hard to assess without a lot of details.

So although big picture logic says 'USSR first failed, go back to the traditional strategy' my instincts tell me it will be too difficult to do; this is the point you have the initiative and using it to shift troops around may be a mistake.

There is a big difference between RaW 7 and Raw 8 also. Specifically, Soviet production multiples and French multiples are a lot different between the rule sets. In RaW 7 it is common to pull out completely to avoid the .25 production multiples. They aren't there in RaW 8 (RaW 8 is MUCH better IMO). But in RaW 7 you also have to see which Soviet production rules are being activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bensdorp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Breunor wrote:
Stevenrd wrote:

There is clearly a logic of going back for France now - it probably does make sense if you are past the point of being able to conquer or otherwise cripple the Soviets. It is a lot closer to Paris than it is to Moscow, the WWI logic. If France is kicking though it probably takes a bunch of 0-chits and massive air superiority.

That is all 'big picture'. Unfortunately, answering a question like this requires the 'little picture' - how quickly/easily can you move forces over? Will moving forces over simply give up ground in Russia for no benefit? Do you have o-chits? I think it is hard to assess without a lot of details.

So although big picture logic says 'USSR first failed, go back to the traditional strategy' my instincts tell me it will be too difficult to do; this is the point you have the initiative and using it to shift troops around may be a mistake.

There is a big difference between RaW 7 and Raw 8 also. Specifically, Soviet production multiples and French multiples are a lot different between the rule sets. In RaW 7 it is common to pull out completely to avoid the .25 production multiples. They aren't there in RaW 8 (RaW 8 is MUCH better IMO). But in RaW 7 you also have to see which Soviet production rules are being activated.

We played another turn, report will be on the site soon pending at the moment. I've fone for knocking out Greece first. It is most conservative and with the yugoslavian units (4 for outside + 2 city volunteers) I can add some depth to the east front.

France is to tough to crack without headquarters and I cant get them from the east withour retreating back to kiev and the baltic states. That is not worth it since I'll give up a lot of resources and ground them.

Taking out Suez with the Turks/Italians and then go on the defensive is the new plan. Japan will go after Aden and then possibly India. That will mean no more CW reinforces from the east. That should keep the CW bussy which will mean some rest on the western front partially at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.