Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who played this expansion : Will it open up more military options for the FP and increase the chance for a military victory ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly gives you more options militarily, but one aim in playtesting was not too improve the probability of a Free military victory (much), as it was seen as unthematic and cuts out a good portion of the gameplay (the Fellowship).

The Free factions are easier to use defensively than offensively, except perhaps the Ents versus Orthanc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
What Ralf said. The Ents are great for getting after Orthanc (as the Ent cards also were), and maybe you could stretch for a bit of help for Dol Goldur. I doubt you could do both in one game, and in either case the Shadow player can spot the buildup before it gets out of hand. The Army of the Dead has a long way to go from Erech to any Shadow victory point location except maybe Orthanc. Both armies are much better as a defense against the Shadow.

I did play in one game where we had a FPMV- the Shadow lost two fairly large armies in Rohan, one to poor rolling early (including 4 self-inflicted Hillmen casualties) and the other to a huge Army of the Dead that crossed over at Erech. The Ents were used to close out Isengard after the second Rohan catastrophe. Moria got captured after 2 failed Shadow sieges of Lorien with 3 Elite/7 regular armies. My post-mortem was that the Shadow did not roll well, felt time pressure as the game went on and overextended, leading to the Free win. I may have been on tilt- I had had 4 failed sieges on turn 14 when the Free Peoples made the final push and closed out the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The promo, of course, reduces the likelihood of a Free Peoples military victory...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is now a variant for the promo - check the expansion variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
improove wrote:
There is now a variant for the promo - check the expansion variants.

There's nothing currently in the Variants forum for this expansion. Did you mean somewhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a separate game mini-expansion "Tidings not Burdens". It is an expansion to this "Warriors of Middle Earth" expansion.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/210039/war-ring-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
improove wrote:
There is a separate game mini-expansion "Tidings not Burdens". It is an expansion to this "Warriors of Middle Earth" expansion.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/210039/war-ring-...

Yeah I know what Tidings not Burdens is, I have it.

It didn't occur to me it would warrant its own page just for 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hammer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread. After 15 games I'd say this expansive does significantly increase the odds of a FP MV. Its still not very likely, but I'd say it doubles your odds... your still looking at like a 6% chance instead of a 3% chance though. It was incredible difficult to conquer more than one SP stronghold before this expansion. Through a day and a night would often let you use a fellowship companion and an army to steal an empty stronghold especially if you made your move on a turn where SP had no elven rings/muster actions left. Moria is a particularly good target for this, but Minas Morgul or Umbar can work. Path of the Woses can also be used if you've taken Isengard or want to sacrifice Rohan to send a strong army into Mordor.

The ents faction can rather effectively be used as a offensive tool to capture a second stronghold if its used after a failed SP attack on Lorien or Rohan. On the second half of the turn when SP is low/out of mustering you use the ents to mop up the few surviving SP units between your army and the stronghold then you move your army the remaining distance. The deadmen can be used, but its more difficult.

If SP has elven rings it can be difficult to win a MP and you can't really start the game out trying to win one. Its more of a desperation move when the fellowship won't make it or a bluff to buy the fellowship time to heal on a stronghold. Strongly guarded is a very effective tool to guard against any FP military victory and if you remove it the SP will be on his guard.

I've only seen one FP MV in 15 games of WoME and ten using WotR and/or LoME. All, but one of those used through a day and a night somehow. The last one used Path of the Woses to combine 5 Edoras elites, 5 Gondorian elites and Aragorn to effectively smash down weak resistance on the black gate / Barad dur. FP MV still relies more on mistakes/bad luck by the SP than anything the FP can do to actively pursue it. You can be prepared to seize it, but the chance may never arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
What Ralf said. The Ents are great for getting after Orthanc (as the Ent cards also were), and maybe you could stretch for a bit of help for Dol Goldur. I doubt you could do both in one game, and in either case the Shadow player can spot the buildup before it gets out of hand. The Army of the Dead has a long way to go from Erech to any Shadow victory point location except maybe Orthanc. Both armies are much better as a defense against the Shadow.

I did play in one game where we had a FPMV- the Shadow lost two fairly large armies in Rohan, one to poor rolling early (including 4 self-inflicted Hillmen casualties) and the other to a huge Army of the Dead that crossed over at Erech. The Ents were used to close out Isengard after the second Rohan catastrophe. Moria got captured after 2 failed Shadow sieges of Lorien with 3 Elite/7 regular armies. My post-mortem was that the Shadow did not roll well, felt time pressure as the game went on and overextended, leading to the Free win. I may have been on tilt- I had had 4 failed sieges on turn 14 when the Free Peoples made the final push and closed out the game.

I'd do you another - Fangorn is close to Moria as it is to Dol Guldur, and Moria is often an easier target than Dol Guldur overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Ents present a more credible threat as a faction than the simple fear
(in the base game) that the FP is holding an Ent Event card or two. I recently had a large Rohan force in the Fords waiting to descend upon ... Osgliath. By bringing in the Ent faction, I was able to make the Fords even tougher to take while reinforcing my bluff at the cost of a few Faction die actions. I had to wait for a good combo of helpful FP action rolls and lousy Shadow ones to spring the trap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.