8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: New and confused, how do I get going? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm brand new to BGG but I've recently been designing a game and I was told that this was the place to be!

I find that I am in a bit of a catch 22 though as I want to get people enthused about my game but I don't want to just be spamming everybody about what I am doing. What is the best way for me to get involved? How can I find the people who will want to know about what I am designing?

And where are the most interesting areas of discussion happening?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankModuloblankGame

The board game design forums are a good place to start.

How To : List your Collection and rate games (with screen shots)

Guide to Promoting Crowdfunds and Games on the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Liam! I see you've got a saltire under your name, how do I add that to mine (I'm currently based in Aberdeen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright Nick, (Closer than I presumed. )

Top bar menu ->My Geek->Account->
Edit Contact Details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

In particular, if I were you, I'd start a Work In Progress (WIP) thread in the WIP subforum there. In your own WIP thread you can post as much as you like and it probably won't be spam. People can subscribe to threads they are interested in, so if you do generate enthusiasm in your WIP thread, you'll only be sending alerts when you post to people that want those alerts.

Depending on the state/progress of your game, you can also post asking for playtesters, or see if you game fits into or could be made to fit into one of the many ongoing contests. I recommend following the progress of some game design contest even if you don't join, because you will see other designers gradually add to their game, eventually resulting in a BGG game entry if the game gets developed enough.

If you think crowdfunding is the way you want to go, again many people have already done that so it is helpful to read their advice, which can often be found around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
ModuloGame wrote:
I'm brand new to BGG but I've recently been designing a game and I was told that this was the place to be!

I find that I am in a bit of a catch 22 though as I want to get people enthused about my game but I don't want to just be spamming everybody about what I am doing. What is the best way for me to get involved? How can I find the people who will want to know about what I am designing?

And where are the most interesting areas of discussion happening?

Sirah, I am disappoint in your lack of bling, fix that at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pssssst! Rating your own game a 10 can cause backlash.

Other people may be inclined to rate it a 1 just to disagreeable... and whatever you do, don't start a thread complaining about them doing so. It will only get you and your game negative publicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
Pssssst! Rating your own game a 10 can cause backlash... It will only get you and your game negative publicity.
Also, having a bunch of family and friends make brand new accounts specifically to rate your game a 10. Same effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.