12 Posts

Clockwork Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Would another kickstarter campaign be viable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(●‿●✿)
msg tools
As per title.

I've come across glowing reviews for Clockwork Wars a few times, but haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. I think this is for (mainly) two reasons:

Firstly it's quite hard to find a copy (and expansion). When you do track one down, they are usually reasonably expensive.
Secondly, the wooden disks are somewhat disappointing. Even basic plastic sculpts would make a big difference to perceptions.

I'm sure there are other people in a similar boat to me. I know the second reason is pretty shallow, and a good game will always be a good game regardless of components, but I think it matters to quite a few people.

Anyway, wouldn't a second Kickstarter campaign solve both these problems? Board gaming has grown so much, the pool of potential backers is much larger than even a year ago. There's also not many significant games on Kickstarter right at the moment; an opening CW could fill.

I feel like there's a lot of potential with Clockwork Wars, and it would be cool to see it fulfilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ark_au wrote:

Firstly it's quite hard to find a copy (and expansion). When you do track one down, they are usually reasonably expensive.

Coolstuffinc seems to sell them for ~60% off regularly, you just have to be patient. I'm sure you could also find things discounted elsewhere if you look.

As is though, the publisher still lists everything in stock, and not too expensive considering the amount of content involved.

ark_au wrote:

Secondly, the wooden disks are somewhat disappointing. Even basic plastic sculpts would make a big difference to perceptions.

"I want cheaper games" and "I want higher quality components" aren't necessarily exclusive statements, but they do require more and more backers to get that economy of scale in your favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just chip in quickly here...

I think there are plenty of copies of Clockwork Wars still available! However, I do predict that we'll be sold out of our print run by the end of this year (just a guess). At that point, it will become more difficult to find copies, and their price on the secondary market will substantially increase. But right now, you can buy Clockwork Wars at:

Cool Stuff
Amazon
directly from the EGG store

The current trending price is around $70, which is substantially lower than the MSRP ($100) and even lower than what our KS backers got just the base game for ($79). So I think if you see CW for anything below $80, that's a good deal.

You can even buy an "Emperor bundle" from Eagle for $150, which includes everything for the game: base, expansion, miniatures for UU's, additional territory hexes, etc. Free shipping too (in continental US)!

As for launching another KS, I sincerely doubt it. First, we'd need to sell out our first print-run. Then, there would need to be enough perceived demand to do another one. And finally, you'd need to convince Eagle to add minis to the game, which can be very expensive! Ultimately, we went with wooden discs for 2 reasons: 1) they don't clog up the board and make resolving battles very quick, 2) they keep the price of the game down (even though it's definitely an expensive game already!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge minis guy. Blood Rage and Cthulhu Wars are some of my favorite games. I'm totally fine with the discs in Clockwork Wars and it still sees lots of play.

The overall package of the game (artwork, components, tiles) is beautiful. It has a classic look and feel and the discs enhance that.

I'd buy this game before it's hard to find as it's a heck of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haz Dhim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Looking around on the internet, I'd agree that in the US it's not that hard to find a copy at a reasonable price. In the EU however, not many shops seem to have it (and those that do offer only the base game, not the expansion). To have it come over from the US, with shipping rates included, the US prices are simply too expensive compared to similar games.

Especially since I can't test it before buying, since... well, nobody has it

So yeah, I'd be into a Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(●‿●✿)
msg tools
Unfortunately it's much more difficult to get in Australia (as is everything!). I believe there is only one store selling it at the moment for around $130.00. I suppose this is pretty close to the MSRP though.

I'd be much more willing to spend that amount if it did come with minis and I knew the money was going directly to the designer/developer.

Nevertheless thanks for you answer Hassan, it's much as I expected. I'll keep an eye out for a secondhand copy and my fingers crossed for a change in the winds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, good luck finding this game in Canada. Sad to see this game not getting the distribution it deserves outside the U.S.

crycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 5
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are still copies to be had.I bought both on ebay last month.

I got Clockwork Wars(new) for $49 from US seller which was good IMO.
That was until vat and shipping was added which brought it to $103soblue

The expansion(new) I got for €25 + shipping of €8 from uk.

Although shipping was a killer I was happy to get them both.
Even got to play a four player game the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Buntinx
Belgium
Genk
Limburg
flag msg tools
If my calculations are correct, now would be the perfect time to fling poop.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would very much like to second this request

Missed the kickstarter, didn't manage to late-pledge, and now this game is almost unfindable in the EU. I could order from the Eagle Games website, but shipping costs and VAT would more than double the listed price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lazza zaza
msg tools
mb
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/216407

CSI has it for $44.99 at the moment. 20+ copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidney S
Canada
flag msg tools
DavidPD wrote:
Yeah, good luck finding this game in Canada. Sad to see this game not getting the distribution it deserves outside the U.S.

crycry

Quick PSA for those in Canada:

Great Boardgames and Board Game Bliss ordered from Eagle and have limited copies in stock.

I just ordered my copy of Sentience from Great Boardgames thanks to re-stocking by Sean.

Have fun,
Salsaking

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidney S
Canada
flag msg tools
Board Game Bliss has a copy now too:

http://www.boardgamebliss.com/collections/restock-nov-29-201...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.