Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck and I hope you stay safe to anyone involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
So Hillary was already caught increasing ad buys on the weather channel to use the hurricane to her advantage...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/06/politics/hillary-clinton-donal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to offer my condolences to the victims, but instead will bang on about politics instead.

Boris Johnson, what a tit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
So Hillary was already caught increasing ad buys on the weather channel to use the hurricane to her advantage...

Oh for Heaven's sake...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Wait a week and Hannity will do a piece about how she caused the hurricane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I tried...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I would like to offer my condolences to the victims, but instead will bang on about politics instead.

Hurricanes, to me, are just something you know is going to happen if you live in that part of the country. It sucks when it happens, but I have a hard time believing that all those people didn't know it would happen, eventually.

People who stay home and then end up getting killed, well, they took that risk. Again, it sucks, but getting killed that way is the same to me as some jackass that gets killed when his parachute fails or when someone slams into a tree while flying down the side of a mountain using a wing suit. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Basically all I am trying to say is that I don't really feel sorry for them. Call me an ass if you wish, but I just view this type of almost certain to eventually occur event as something which I have a hard time feeling sorry for people when they get hurt by it. Same with earthquakes ([edit] in areas with well known risk of earthquakes).

Tornadoes, fires, airplane crashes, car crashes, terrorism, etc... stuff that is really unlikely to happen, I feel sorry for those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hurricanes, to me, are just something you know is going to happen if you live in that part of the country. It sucks when it happens, but I have a hard time believing that all those people didn't know it would happen, eventually.

People who stay home and then end up getting killed, well, they took that risk. Again, it sucks, but getting killed that way is the same to me as some jackass that gets killed when his parachute fails or when someone slams into a tree while flying down the side of a mountain using a wing suit. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Basically all I am trying to say is that I don't really feel sorry for them. Call me an ass if you wish, but I just view this type of almost certain to eventually occur event as something which I have a hard time feeling sorry for people when they get hurt by it. Same with earthquakes ([edit] in areas with well known risk of earthquakes).

Tornadoes, fires, airplane crashes, car crashes, terrorism, etc... stuff that is really unlikely to happen, I feel sorry for those people.

Fire fighters, Police, ambulance technicians, power workers, Coast Guard crews, National Guardsmen... All idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Similarly inclined, minus the idiots bit. I hope the folks get back on their feet soon, and don't wish death or maiming on anyone, but it's Florida, hurricanes happen. We aren't lacking in record keeping, meteorological knowledge, or tracking to understand these things. People who live in Florida don't get snow or ice storms on a yearly basis, instead they get violent wind and rain storms a few times a decade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
sfox wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Fire fighters, Police, ambulance technicians, power workers, Coast Guard crews, National Guardsmen... All idiots.

These people are paid to take risks, that doesn't make them idiots. If someone is getting paid to do stunt work for a movie and gets injured (or killed) doing it, should I feel sorry for them? If a guy being paid to wash windows on skyscrapers (one of the highest risk jobs in the world) dies when the scaffolding collapses, should I feel sorry for him? How is that any different than the police or firefighters?

That said, I'm typically pretty angry at people who make decisions that put others in harms way, even if those people have been paid to take that risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Wait, why do tornadoes get a pass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

Tornadoes are very localized events. Even though tornadoes kill more people than hurricanes on a yearly basis, you cannot predict where or when a tornado will hit, you can't run and hide from them as they show up with very little warning.

A hurricane is a giant storm, we know they are coming a week or more in advance, several days before they arrive we can fairly accurately predict where they are going to hit. If you live in certain areas you are almost certain to get hit by a hurricane every 10 to 20 years and you are going to have two or three days warning to prepare for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
sfox wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

These people are paid to take risks, that doesn't make them idiots. If someone is getting paid to do stunt work for a movie and gets injured (or killed) doing it, should I feel sorry for them? If a guy being paid to wash windows on skyscrapers (one of the highest risk jobs in the world) dies when the scaffolding collapses, should I feel sorry for him? How is that any different than the police or firefighters?

That said, I'm typically pretty angry at people who make decisions that put others in harms way, even if those people have been paid to take that risk.

I think you are immune to irony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

Oh for fucks sake! You live in TORNADO ALLEY and make an exception for tornadoes???

There's gotta be a good 25¢ word for that sort of hypocritical dipshitery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

Tornadoes are very localized events. Even though tornadoes kill more people than hurricanes on a yearly basis, you cannot predict where or when a tornado will hit, you can't run and hide from them as they show up with very little warning.

Why doesn't this pity-logic also apply to earthquakes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

Oh for fucks sake! You live in TORNADO ALLEY and make an exception for tornadoes???

The chance of getting hit by a tornado in "tornado alley" is almost zero. I've lived here all my life and haven't had a tornado come closer than 10 miles to me. Even in those cases, a tornado damages a tiny tiny fraction of the area.

The point is, if you live on the east cost of Florida, there is a 99% chance your house will get hit by a hurricane within 20 years. If you live in Dallas, there is a 0.0001% chance your house will get hit by a tornado in the same 20 year period. I guess you have watched Twister or Sharknado one too many times (which would be once).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

Why doesn't this pity-logic also apply to earthquakes?

If you live in san francisco your house is going to get hit by an earthquake every decade or two, there is no way to escape it. Every 50 to 100 years, your house is likely to get hit by a major one. That is why California has building codes which require houses to be able to withstand an earthquake. Are you seriously claiming you can't see the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
spoon wrote:
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

The chance of getting hit by a tornado in "tornado alley" is almost zero. I've lived here all my life and haven't had a tornado come closer than 10 miles to me. Even in those cases, a tornado damages a tiny tiny fraction of the area.

The point is, if you live on the east cost of Florida, there is a 99% chance your house will get hit by a hurricane within 20 years. If you live in Dallas, there is a 0.0001% chance your house will get hit by a tornado in the same 20 year period. I guess you have watched Twister or Sharknado one too many times (which would be once).

I think you probably shouldn't get a job as an actuary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
sfox wrote:
spoon wrote:
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

Seriously? You going to claim that insurance in "tornado alley" is more expensive than insurance in the coastal areas exposed to hurricanes? Are you a moron or something? The #1 cost in the Dallas area is hail, by a long long way, not tornados. A lot of those areas are so risky the private insurance industry doesn't even sell insurance in them which is why the government has to step in and subsidize/provide the flood insurance.

[edit] I don't feel sorry for people who have to replace their roof due to hail either, that is a given, it happens every 10 to 15 years in Dallas and it is built into the cost of insurance around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
sfox wrote:

Don't be a dumb fuck -- which I know seems to be an impossible task. Hildebeast makes Hannity look like the total amateur he is. She already blamed Trump:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1650253/chuck-norris-mu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
sfox wrote:

Don't be a dumb fuck -- which I know seems to be an impossible task. Hildebeast makes Hannity look like the total amateur he is. She already blamed Trump:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1650253/chuck-norris-mu...
No, she said he is not going to do anything to prevent this kind of tragedy in the future, not that he caused this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

First, I hope everyone is doing okay.

Second, evacuating will produce a certain number of fatalities. So it's a tricky risk assessment business. High risk areas (mostly storm surge and weaker structures in high wind areas) should evacuate. People in sturdy structures away from storm surge areas are generally better off to weather the storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
sfox wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Similarly inclined, minus the idiots bit. I hope the folks get back on their feet soon, and don't wish death or maiming on anyone, but it's Florida, hurricanes happen. We aren't lacking in record keeping, meteorological knowledge, or tracking to understand these things. People who live in Florida don't get snow or ice storms on a yearly basis, instead they get violent wind and rain storms a few times a decade.

In houston, it's once every two decades. But lately we've been getting a lot of peaceful "500 year" floods. I'm sorry but when you get three "500 year" floods in 15 years, it's time to reassess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
sfox wrote:
spoon wrote:
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

Seriously? You going to claim that insurance in "tornado alley" is more expensive than insurance in the coastal areas exposed to hurricanes? Are you a moron or something? The #1 cost in the Dallas area is hail, by a long long way, not tornados. A lot of those areas are so risky the private insurance industry doesn't even sell insurance in them which is why the government has to step in and subsidize/provide the flood insurance.

[edit] I don't feel sorry for people who have to replace their roof due to hail either, that is a given, it happens every 10 to 15 years in Dallas and it is built into the cost of insurance around here.

It's your made up numbers. The idea that property in Eastern Florid a will be destroyed every 20years is clearly nonsense. No I am not a moron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
sfox wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
sfox wrote:
spoon wrote:
spoon wrote:
sfox wrote:

It's your made up numbers. The idea that property in Eastern Florid a will be destroyed every 20years is clearly nonsense. No I am not a moron

Who said anything about properties being destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.