$60.00
$20.00
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scary stuff down there, hope everyone is ok and makes it safely through the storm.

There's so much talk about evacuating people, I hope those who had to leave games behind come back to find them safe and sound too.

Did you take games with you if you evacuated? Orlando is supposed to get some weather, Cool Stuff is there, and of course The Dice Tower is in Miami now. Be safe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts and prayers with the good people of Florida and the coastal regions. heart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Visiting in Florida. I'm near the west coast. Nothing much happening here. They are saying damage on the east coast is minimal so far. Lots of folks there without power though. So far Florida has lucked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Never store your games on the basement floor folks! Assume a pipe bursting or something like that is just a matter of time.

Also flood insurance, think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Orlando. With the storm taking that slight jog east late last night we got spared the higher winds we'd been expecting. Last night was relatively calm but today has been steady heavy winds with some pretty good gusts. I still have power but there are plenty of friends of mine around the area who are out. All told, we're lucky; this could have been a lot worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
News this morning was almost half a million people without power. Also that the storm is downgraded to Category 3.

Pete (parrots his car's radio)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
Never store your games on the basement floor folks! Assume a pipe bursting or something like that is just a matter of time.

Having spent most of my life living in a place where Mother Nature is pretty obnoxious, I second this as very good advice. Most of the time if there are water problems, it's going to be just enough to ruin your carpet.... and whatever you have laying on the floor. It's not an accident that most bookshelves have 2-3" legs below the bottom shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I could be wrong, but probably not. I AM a Steve.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmb
Not a lot of people in Florida have basements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
News this morning was almost half a million people without power. Also that the storm is downgraded to Category 3.

Pete (parrots his car's radio)

Cleaning up and restoring normal life after a storm like this is really the terrible part, as we have seen with other major weather incidents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ERIC DEFILIPPO
United States
Jacksonville (Arlington)
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Jacksonville, all my games are in large contracters bags. No basement here in Florida. Fingers are crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bombard

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck to everyone in its path!!! Be safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hope everyone stays safe. Best wishes from over the pond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:

Most homes near the coasts of Florida don't have basements. But, that's a good tip for folks with basements!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Longwood, 12 miles northeast of Orlando and about 35-40 miles from the coast.

We got VERY lucky. The storm never veered west. At its closest, the eye was about 5-10 miles east of Cape Canaveral. That left central Florida outside the hurricane force wind bands and probably spared the coastal regions to some degree as well. There is a lot of debris in my yard (broken branches, leaves, etc.), but we still have power and there is no significant damage to my house.

Very, very fortunate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:

Why is that? I would have thought a solid basement would be an ideal safe area. I am thinking of those films when the whole family pile into them when the wind gets up. Kansas? Oklahoma?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
sdonohue wrote:

Why is that? I would have thought a solid basement would be an ideal safe area. I am thinking of those films when the whole family pile into them when the wind gets up. Kansas? Oklahoma?

Because in Florida, the water table is about 3 feet below the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madelyn C
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
sdonohue wrote:

Water table is to high and the soil is not conducive for basements. Others parts of the country like Kansas and Oklahoma have storm shelters below ground for tornadoes but Florida cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaaah. I see. Is the water table so high due to the flatness of the state?
I have stayed many times in villas in Kissimmee. I dread to think what a hurricane hit could do to one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The average elevation in Florida is six feet above sea level. In some places it's as low as three. We're oh so very flat.

And it's also the geology underneath the state. As prone to sinkholes as we are, you'd probably be in more danger in a basement during a hurricane soaking the ground than you would be up in the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. It is something I always wondered about.
Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I could be wrong, but probably not. I AM a Steve.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmb
I've read that the other reason for lack of basements is the lack of a significant frost line.

Here in Michigan you have to dig 5-6' to make sure you're below the frost-line. Digging a little more to get the 8' of a typical basement isn't that expeneive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for thinking of us. We're in the NW part of Orlando and only had a few broken tree branches. Still remember the 3 direct hits we got in 2004 so feeling very blessed this time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I've read that the other reason for lack of basements is the lack of a significant frost line.

Here in Michigan you have to dig 5-6' to make sure you're below the frost-line. Digging a little more to get the 8' of a typical basement isn't that expeneive.

I know that most places that I have lived in Oklahoma are surrounded by houses without basements. The houses I have lived in and seen in Oklahoma that do have basements were almost all built before 1940. For whatever that's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Research Karst topography. That's Florida.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.