Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: MoM2e breaks into top 100 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I am sure the user rating will come down a bit, it looks like this game is on trend for top 20.

How high do you think it will go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it top off at 33
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many copies of this over-priced game have they sold? I can't see too many individuals spending this kind of money on a game (not to mention the expansions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
How many copies of this over-priced game have they sold? I can't see too many individuals spending this kind of money on a game (not to mention the expansions.)

The game's been "Out of Stock" at Miniature Market, Cool Stuff, Amazon (not counting 3rd Party sellers), and FFG's site for weeks now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Sorry for your luck man, you must have a bad job if that's expensive. I'm assuming you can't back Kickstarters for money reasons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Sorry for your luck man, you must have a bad job if that's expensive. I'm assuming you can't back Kickstarters for money reasons?

This is a ridiculous thing to say. People all over are struggling, some of them like boardgames. Just because someone doesn't have $100 to spare on a game with arguable replay value doesn't mean you get to judge them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

This is a ridiculous thing to say. People all over are struggling, some of them like boardgames. Just because someone doesn't have $100 to spare on a game with arguable replay value doesn't mean you get to judge them.

I sort of agree. The comment that was a response to was judging people for buying an overpriced game...which is a judgement in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, I've played the first 4 scenarios over 30 times now. Your mileage may vary, but I've gotten way over $100 of game time over it and still going. I know it's a matter of opinion and that's all, but still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see people have feelings about this game. :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

Wait so someone says something on a forum and I can't respond to the content of what they said? Just curious how do you have conversations? They say something and you say something completely unrelated? I wasn't being a jerk, It's not that much money for a boardgame for me, so i'm assuming he has a bad job, how is that wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you gain this card from the deck, gain 2 Clues. ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Nice on hitting rank #100!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Wait so someone says something on a forum and I can't respond to the content of what they said? Just curious how do you have conversations? They say something and you say something completely unrelated? I wasn't being a jerk, It's not that much money for a boardgame for me, so i'm assuming he has a bad job, how is that wrong?

Many people live paycheck to paycheck. The people who are fortunate enough to have the free time and money to play board games are the exception, not the rule. I don't care how you respond to anyone if you're offering actual substance, but making a value judgment on a person's job based off of not being able to afford a game is ridonculous. So what if they have a "bad" job? They're working. People have bad jobs. Someone has to do them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

Many people live paycheck to paycheck. The people who are fortunate enough to have the free time and money to play board games are the exception, not the rule. I don't care how you respond to anyone if you're offering actual substance, but making a value judgment on a person's job based off of not being able to afford a game is ridonculous. So what if they have a "bad" job? They're working. People have bad jobs. Someone has to do them.

Said person was making a judgement on others for purchasing a game for that price. It came off, to me, that he was upset that others have the money to spend on the game, when he does not. Why else come to a post about a game you dont own, and make a comment about the game being overpriced (judgement) and lambasting people who have bought it (judgement)?

He deserves to be criticized, even if that means judging his financial situation. He invited the criticism when he judged others for what they spend their money on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
... The people who are fortunate enough to have the free time and money to play board games are the exception, not the rule. ...

That may be true for the general public but it seems highly unlikely for the people reading the MoM 2E forum on a boardgame website where the comment was posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He simply stated that he feels the game is overpriced and that he thinks not that many people would spend that kind of money on the game. The first part is completely subjective, the second part appears to be incorrect as sales look strong for the game as was appropriately pointed out. Perhaps there was some attitude in that post as well, I can't be sure and if there is, then that was not considerate either.

Making judgements on someone's personal financial situation and potential job / career is rude and patronizing. Not only to the poster, but to others who may be reading that may not have the money to spend on a game that expensive right now.

And yes, for some the money for MoM might seem like nothing, but I know plenty of people who make decent money and have good careers who'd consider that far too much to spend on a board game (who like board games) due to not valuing board game the same or having other needs in their budget (children, college, charitable donations, retirement planning, saving for a house, medical bills, student loans, etc.....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

I assume your job is to judge people in internet? Cool story, bro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
He simply stated that he feels the game is overpriced and that he thinks not that many people would spend that kind of money on the game. The first part is completely subjective, the second part appears to be incorrect as sales look strong for the game as was appropriately pointed out. Perhaps there was some attitude in that post as well, I can't be sure and if there is, then that was not considerate either.

Making judgements on someone's personal financial situation and potential job / career is rude and patronizing. Not only to the poster, but to others who may be reading that may not have the money to spend on a game that expensive right now.

And yes, for some the money for MoM might seem like nothing, but I know plenty of people who make decent money and have good careers who'd consider that far too much to spend on a board game (who like board games) due to not valuing board game the same or having other needs in their budget (children, college, charitable donations, retirement planning, saving for a house, medical bills, student loans, etc.....)

Why be active in a forum of a game that you think is overpriced, though? Once you make the determination, I feel as if you should probably move on....in these forums, I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankly the game really is overpriced comparatively speaking, it's undeniable. The real value in it however is what the individual get's out of it. For myself I can say this was a good purchase, but I don't blame others for being turned away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
DanKD wrote:

Why be active in a forum of a game that you think is overpriced, though? Once you make the determination, I feel as if you should probably move on....in these forums, I mean.

A reasonable question and that would have been an appropriate response. Making a personal financial judgement and condescending "sorry for your situation" response was not (I know this was not you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Im really sorry but do the people who call this game overpriced know how much a company have to pay softwaredevelopers.

Yes it's true that a game developer takes less earnings than a regular softwaredeveloper. But still, they take way more than a normal game designer or the like, and furthermore, making a software program takes many more man hours than your average board game. So remember a lot of the price is in the app itself.

Look at Gloomhaven, thats a gigantic board game with a lot of stuff, made by what? 1-3 guys? I am 100% sure MoM used alot more people for the app alone.

And to talk about the topic. YAY i love Mansions and think it deserves every praise it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
DanKD wrote:

A reasonable question and that would have been an appropriate response. Making a personal financial judgement and condescending "sorry for your situation" response was not (I know this was not you).

But who does the person think they are judging others for what they spend their money on? That's not okay, either. At least, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
TOP 100?!

WITH AN APP?!!

It's not even a board game!!

The above post is made in jest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:
Im really sorry but do the people who call this game know how much a company have to pay softwaredevelopers.

Yes it's true that a game developer takes less earnings than a regular softwaredeveloper. But still, they take way more than a normal game designer or the like, and furthermore, making a software program takes many more man hours than your average board game. So remember a lot of the price is in the app itself.

Look at Gloomhaven, thats a gigantic board game with a lot of stuff, made by what? 1-3 guys? I am 100% sure MoM used alot more people for the app alone.

And to talk about the topic. YAY i love Mansions and think it deserves every praise it gets.

Came here to say the same thing. Most people not in IT don't understand how much developing an app like this one really costs and yes FFG needs to recoup that cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:

Are you serious? No, you must be kidding, aren't you. The app like Mansions of Maddness is very simplistic software. It is comparable to adventure games from 90ties. It doesn't do much, all the functions are very very basic.
I believe that only real problem with it is to make sure that it works properly on all supported platforms.

It cannot be compared video game or software development. It is not comparable to advanced mobile games. It is really very, very simple piece of software.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

Imperial Assault,
Star Wars Rebellion,
Eclipse,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.