Subject: senario difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i have 3 scenarios with the expansion.

is there available a difficulty rating for those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not an expert, but my ratings would be on scale of 1-5 where 1 is easy and 5 is difficult.

Vorakesh - 5
Ariad - 4
Margeth - 2

With Margath you have the most time, and many of the Story cards help you.

With Vorakesh, the Zombies can be a big problem, so waiting can be bad. You have to hurry and having descent luck.

With Ariad you have a moderate amount of time, but the board becomes slow to move around with the webs. I have only played this once, so my rating might change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
It also depends how many players you have. Vorakesh is a nightmare with 2 (we have given up trying I think!) while it seems he is much easier with 3 or 4 players.

We have never failed to beat Margath at any player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
its still very strange, fantasy flight does not have a rating for this game scenarios. LOTR lcg had while its an older game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the comment that player count factors in here on the difficulty rating. Especially contrasting Margath and Vorakesh.

Margath is about collecting a finite amount of lore. I'd say, technically, the fewer the players, the easier it is for a player to collect the lore as the competition for them is lessened. So, works well for two players or, of course, new players.

Vorakesh is about gaining allies and removing zombies. But zombies spawn in large amounts across the board. This spawning doesn't scale to the number of players yet the aim remains the same to clear them before the final confrontation. With two players, I find it's more challenging to keep the zombies under control and simultaneously progress your character for the final showdown. While more players it feels easier as there's more people to potentially take out the zombies in any given round.

So, it's almost like, but not quite, that the two scenarios have inverted difficulties relative to the player counts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
very interesting analysis

how expansion scenario stand between them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Arid again last night again. Very tough scenario. Probably not as tough as Vorakesh, but you need to be on your toes.

I got blown out, and my daughter just barely lost. Fun game 2 player. We usually play 3 or 4. Finished in 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
please tell me your secret. we need at least 1 hour and 30 minutes per player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
please tell me your secret. we need at least 1 hour and 30 minutes per player

I personally play fast, perhaps why I lost so badly. With experience, my daughter has gotten faster as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve hitchcock

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive played two games, solo,,,have yet to defeat margeth,,angry she ate tamilir in first game as i got character there to fight her, then in second, was able to confront but with only 2lore so was slaughtered before end of second round of combat,,LOVE IT,,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
It also depends how many players you have. Vorakesh is a nightmare with 2 (we have given up trying I think!) while it seems he is much easier with 3 or 4 players.

I would go so far as to say that the Vorakesh scenario is just poorly designed. Why it didn't occur to the designers to scale the game based on the number of players is beyond me. Was it not tested?

This wouldn't have been hard to do. Instead of events spawning a set number of zombies, they could have spawned (X+1), where X is the number of players. Or something similar.

That's the house rule that we've adopted, anyway, given that we usually only have 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
wkover wrote:
I would go so far as to say that the Vorakesh scenario is just poorly designed. Why it didn't occur to the designers to scale the game based on the number of players is beyond me. Was it not tested?

This wouldn't have been hard to do. Instead of events spawning a set number of zombies, they could have spawned (X+1), where X is the number of players. Or something similar.

That's the house rule that we've adopted, anyway, given that we usually only have 2 players.

Yeah, it does make one wonder if the Vorakesh scenario was something of an afterthought and not tested as thoroughly as it should have been, if at all. Or maybe it was, but only with 3 players and they figured 2-4 wouldn't change too much. And really it's only a problem for 2 players; since it's competitive being too easy is not really a problem.

Or maybe they got really lucky in the testing. Or maybe they figured out some strategies which most of us haven't. I did work out that the way to beat Vorakesh is not to wait until the end but to be sure to attack him right before a story card is drawn. When we tried before we didn't really consider this and just treated him like Margath.

It would also work better as a co-op, it's about the right difficulty for that with 2 players!

Still, it's easy to house rule, to make it either easier or co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the key with Vorekesh is to go as early as possible, since waiting might make it worse. I find it an interesting scenario because of the balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
With 2 players, they basically cannot afford to mess with each other at all. All that will happen then is nobody will win. If they agree to not deliberately impede each other, and actually work together in keeping zombies under control, then they might stand a chance, if they can time it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.