GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,959 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
106 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

18xx» Forums » General

Subject: 18xx Poker Chips - Feedback wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: poker_chips [+] [View All]
Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm exploring the idea of creating a set of poker chips designed around the 18xx theme. What would your ideal chip look like, and what denominations would you like to see.

Based on my research so far, I was thinking this would be a good configuration for a 300 chip set:

50 x 1s (White)
50 x 5s (Red)
50 x 10s (Blue)
50 x 20s (Yellow or Gray)
50 x 100s (Black)
50 x 500s (Purple)

And here's a concept art image as a starting point:

My hope would be to make these available for sale if there is interest.

Any thoughts you have about the design, or the set configuration would be appreciated.

Dave
GameKnight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Shouldn't that say "In trains we trust"?

EDIT: And for those who aren't familiar with GameKnight chips, they're very very very nice. I so want a set of these.... (as well as to dig up some people here to use them with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Make them small, about the size of a quarter. Full-size chips weigh a ton and are a huge PITA to cart around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
Perry
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, "In Rail we Trust"

Pugnax555 wrote:
Shouldn't that say "In trains we trust"?

EDIT: And for those who aren't familiar with GameKnight chips, they're very very very nice. I so want a set of these.... (as well as to dig up some people here to use them with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would put "18xx" on the chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
Perry
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 18xx on the chips might limit the market. There are train gamers who do not go as deep as 18xx but would still love train themed chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No 2's? No 25's? Isn't 50 x 500's way too many? Is text that small going to be readable on a poker chip?

I like the border. I would get rid of the banner, the L stamp, the leaves. I would shrink the number and push it down to the bottom half, and increase the image size and make it balance the number as the top half of the chip.

I wouldn't put a handcar on the 100 ;-) On the 1, naturally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I am a fairly new 18xx player and have already amassed two full sets of poker chips. It would be hard for me to justify buying another set for aesthetics. I am already covetous of those Nile Club ceramics...

Not to say that I think this is a bad idea, but I wonder how much of the market is actually open for the product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't use 2s, and 20s are much better than 25s for 18xx, but 50 x 500s is way more than you need (for the 18xx I play anyway). I'm not a fan of the "in games we trust"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A better ~300-count distribution for 18xx:

~300 count (put the overflow in a card-well in the chip case), recommended for all but the larger 18xx:

Count Value Total Sum Total
White 75 1 75 75
Red 73 5 365 440
Gray 78 20 1560 2000
Black 50 100 5000 7000
Purple 36 500 18000 25000

Also see my profile for suggested 100-chip and 1,000-chip distributions.

In that you're not discussing the mold and edgespot colouring, I suspect that you're looking at any one of the many bespoke ceramics. If so, you'll find that many consider them too slippery for boardgame use, most especially for the 18xx. See Poker chip recommendations for details.

Or are you looking at china clays or a custom run of ASMs/CPCs? We've been quietly talking about doing a custom run of ASMs for a quite a while now. Or perhaps a custom sticker on one of the readily available chips like Milanos, Majestics or similar?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jason - thanks for the suggestion - I have considered this. There would definitely be an investment involved in getting a smaller mold created. It's an interesting idea, I'm only concerned that the handling aspect would be a challenge with a smaller chip. The wonderful thing about 'regular' size chips is they are so easy to stack and manage. I've tried the miniature chips and they are ok for travel, but I don't think they are ideal for a home set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
A better ~300-count distribution for 18xx:

~300 count (put the overflow in a card-well in the chip case), recommended for all but the larger 18xx:

Count Value Total Sum Total
White 75 1 75 75
Red 73 5 365 440
Gray 78 20 1560 2000
Black 50 100 5000 7000
Purple 36 500 18000 25000

Also see my profile for suggested 100-chip and 1,000-chip distributions.

In that you're not discussing the mold and edgespot colouring, I suspect that you're looking at any one of the many bespoke ceramics. If so, you'll find that many find them too slippery for boardgame use. See Poker chip recommendations for details.

Hi JC - thanks for the input - I like your distribution but would like to keep the chips to a 300 count which is I've found to be the most popular set size so I'd probably modify to keep counts in multiples of 25.

Yes - these would be ceramic - while opinions vary - I've never had a complaint about the chips being slippery and I've sold many sets.

I'll take a look at your 100\1000 set suggestions too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow is only for $1000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

I was wondering who would bring that up. It's funny there are many differing opinions on the color. In the past I've used gray for the 20, but sometimes it looks a bit too close to the blue on the 10. I'm definitely up for some lively debate as to what the right color choice should be for the $20. My thinking was that the 1000 chip would not be used in this set, so using the yellow for the 20 would create a nice easy to distinguish range of colors.

Since were in the concept stage - this is good input. Thanks for bringing this up.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dbreen27 wrote:
I like your distribution but would like to keep the chips to a 300 count which is I've found to be the most popular set size so I'd probably modify to keep counts in multiples of 25.

And of course chips come in rolls of 25. But that makes a far less than ideal distribution (painfully annoying) for 18xx games. As for hitting 300 chips exactly, if that's really a key concern, just drop a dozen purples (the final bank-size counts won't be as nice, but the set will function ~almost as well).

Quote:
Yes - these would be ceramic - while opinions vary - I've never had a complaint about the chips being slippery and I've sold many sets.

Perhaps because the people with those concerns don't buy ceramics in the first place?

Again, have a look at Poker chip recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:
No 2's? No 25's? Isn't 50 x 500's way too many? Is text that small going to be readable on a poker chip?

I like the border. I would get rid of the banner, the L stamp, the leaves. I would shrink the number and push it down to the bottom half, and increase the image size and make it balance the number as the top half of the chip.

I wouldn't put a handcar on the 100 ;-) On the 1, naturally.

Perhaps something more like this? I'm not sure it convey's the theme of currency tho, but worth exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be very nice to include a case as well. Case can be very rudimentary (and light if possible) to keep the cost down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the design, and especially the implication that a different piece of rolling stock might be on each denomination. In your mock-up, obviously the color is off (blue being for $10 chips). And as suggested above, the handcart makes most sense for the $1 chip.

I'm not a fan of the slogan "In games we trust" (a little too cheesy for my tastes), but I do appreciate the scroll and overall aesthetic of currency.

As for colors, I strongly prefer yellow for $20 (instead of grey), but I know there is some debate about this issue. I prefer the high contrast of yellow. As you say, $1,000 chips aren't in use and so there is no need to reserve the yellow color. Besides, colors are much less standard when you get to the higher denominations.

Someone suggested $25 chips instead of $20 chips. No way! $25 chips are vastly inferior for 18xx games (and really most board games generally).

The inclusion of $10 chips is interesting, and perhaps unnecessary. I recently converted my current set to use $20 chips instead of $25 chips. I had included $10 chips as a stop-gap, which I realize in retrospect was to make up for the annoying tendency of $25 chips to get in the way. Multiplies of 10 are strongly preferred. That said, now that I have $20 chips, I'm not sure the $10s are as useful. If I wanted another denomination, I might even prefer $50s. I'm still experimenting, but I need more experience to tell what's best.

I've never felt the need for $2 chips.

Full-size chips are best, and I think you lay out the reasons why perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
tckoppang wrote:
As for colors, I strongly prefer yellow for $20 (instead of grey)...

We've had significant problems with yellow Majestics (used as 20s) being confused with whites (1s).

I use orange in my 1,000-count soprano set and so far have not had a problem with them:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see that. It really depends on the set, I suppose. In some the greys look dreadfully close to either the whites or the blues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely it should be 'Our trains will rust'? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a bit more refined version..

of course the game knight watermark would not be in the final version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Roughly the sort of thing I've been looking at in ASMs:

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=Y9QWCCTT

Still not entirely happy with that set, but its a direction and a handful of us have been talking about going in on an order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Only slightly on topic, taking Benford's law into account, there is only a minor statistical gain on the number of chips needed for using $20 chips instead of $25 chips (approximately 2.5% fewer chips by my calculations).

Using $20 chips does decrease the number of chips needed for numbers between 20-24, 40-49, and 60-74 but it increases the number of chips needed for 25-39, 50-59, and 75-79. Both methods use the same number of chips between 80-99.

Note that I did use just an approximation for Benford's law, but I think it benefitted both the $20 and $25 methods roughly equally. I suspect an improved calculation would result in a slightly better advantage for using $20 chips than what I found with an approximation. In any case, I didn't see a big advantage for using $20 chips instead of $25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You assume that the distribution of values in games is flat, which is not true in practice. In practice some values, and in particular multiples of 20, are more common than others in 18xx games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.