Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eden Hansen
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group played The Letter (introductory scenario) in London Dread for the first time last night and we were confused about turning cards over. We read that you can turn cards over BEFORE you program your movements, so we turned all the cards over then programmed the movement. To me that didn't seem right. Isn't the point to program your movements THEN turn the cards over? It wasn't really clear. Can someone explain how that works, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Reissmann
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eden73 wrote:
My game group played The Letter (introductory scenario) in London Dread for the first time last night and we were confused about turning cards over. We read that you can turn cards over BEFORE you program your movements, so we turned all the cards over then programmed the movement. To me that didn't seem right. Isn't the point to program your movements THEN turn the cards over? It wasn't really clear. Can someone explain how that works, please?
If you programmed your movements before turning the cards over you'd have no idea if you were sending the appropriate people to handle the cards. You turn over as many cards as you want making sure to reveal all of the Plot cards and then work out how your group is going to handle the cards you've revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eden,

The game has 3 phases:

1: The Planning Phase. This is timed. You have 12 minutes to flip as many cards as you like (remember you MUST find all the Plot cards). Within the 12 minutes you ALSO must plan as many of your character's 12 actions as possible. You do this by placing Action tokens in your personal Action clock.

2: The Story Phase. This happens when the 12 minutes are over. This is where your characters actually begin to move around the city and the story plays out. You simply execute the planned actions one by one until the final Plot card is investigated. Then you clean up the board (remember to take Dread for any card you failed to deal with.)

3: The Endgame. In the Endgame you will encounter a number of challenges and collect dice for the Final Battle against the story's antagonist.

This is a very brief overview of how the game works. But hopefully it clears things up a bit.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Happy gaming and have a nice weekend!

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eden Hansen
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can flip all cards over if you want at the beginning of the game? OK. That makes sense. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, but the more cards you flip over, the more difficult the game is. So there's a balance in how many you want to flip.

But you definitely need to flip all of the Plot cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bass Ventura
msg tools
Hi,
i just played my first round London Dread and we totally misunderstood the rules at that point. We revealed all 24 cards, programmed the action clock, and then flipped all cards we werent going to investigate face down again.

I found the term "your task is to strike the right balance between revealing cards - not too few, not too many" extremely confusing.

I think a hint WHY you have to reveal cards (because you HAVE to find all of the Plot Cards) would totally make sense when introducing the rules for the Planning Phase.

Awesome game though, we're sooo stoked atm and cant wait for the next round !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kimura,

Good point about the rulebook. I am happy you enjoyed the game!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy gaming!

Asger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.