BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: I don't get it with game store prices rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Leeth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
O.k. I'm sure this has been brought up in the past but since I am new to board gaming in general I wanted to bring this up. I recently started my own Meetup group on meetup.com because I couldn't find what I wanted and I'm happy to say that we are going strong and have had four gaming sessions. What I don't understand is most of the members of the group have almost blind loyalty to the gaming stores that are charging full retail. Come on really? I'm not made of money and I don't feel any special loyalty to a retail shop. If they fail it is because their business model was not successful in a very modern online age. There are many place to game public libraries for example have rooms available. Its just Amazon for example is 40-60% cheaper than the darn gaming stores and I guess I can't believe people would waste their hard earned cash so handily. Its none of my business I guess how anyone spends their money but I work hard for mine and I'm always going to go the cheaper route when I can. Curious what you guys thoughts are on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Often, people want to support a local gaming store because they bring something else to the table. Either a place to play or events. They most likely see value in what the game store provides other than buying a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
Often, people want to support a local gaming store because they bring something else to the table. Either a place to play or events. They most likely see value in what the game store provides other than buying a game.
Pretty much this.

Many game stores provide a venue to play (and sample, perhaps more importantly) games. Also (as long as it is the better kind of store) you get knowledgeable and friendly staff who will help advise you, rather then just see you as a meal ticket.

Also there is the fact you get get games that day, and there is a much better chance you are not getting fleeced (having recently purchased some dodgy CAH cards online).

Sure if you buy from (say) amazon you are buying from a reputable trader, but buying on amazon is not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you see as blind loyalty might actually be loyalty the store has earned by being there for years, supporting their multiple gaming/geeky interests. I personally try to divide my shopping to both online for large orders and locally for smaller "gotta have it" purchases to support them for having a place for my friends and I to play without expecting us to buy anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
And thus you aren't wrong for not wanting to pay FLGS prices, and the guy who does isn't wrong for paying them. Different consumers with different needs/wants/desires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a value trade a person does.

If you are at the game store, the items are there physically. You may decide to buy an item and you want to play it tonight. Typically, you can't do that when you buy online.

That said, most of my game store purchases are of the expansion or under $20 variety where the difference between MSRP and Amazon prices is smaller. It does tend to be hard to justify spending $100 in the game store for an item that is $55 on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:

This. I won't spend a dime at a retail store that doesn't provide additional service. I will drop money above what I could pay online at a store that provides other services that I can't get from an online retailer.

Providing a retail location is not really a draw anymore, and serving as the "end-man" between the publisher→distributor→retail store is no longer necessary (and adds unnecessary overhead). The model is bad.

But these stores can serve other roles, and those roles (and the time investment required to make it happen) deserve compensation. I'm willing to pay that compensation in the form of accepting higher prices on the goods available (I'd also be happy to pay a fee for the services at these stores).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HughJass wrote:
O.k. I'm sure this has been brought up in the past but since I am new to board gaming in general I wanted to bring this up. I recently started my own Meetup group on meetup.com because I couldn't find what I wanted and I'm happy to say that we are going strong and have had four gaming sessions. What I don't understand is most of the members of the group have almost blind loyalty to the gaming stores that are charging full retail. Come on really? I'm not made of money and I don't feel any special loyalty to a retail shop. If they fail it is because their business model was not successful in a very modern online age. There are many place to game public libraries for example have rooms available. Its just Amazon for example is 40-60% cheaper than the darn gaming stores and I guess I can't believe people would waste their hard earned cash so handily. Its none of my business I guess how anyone spends their money but I work hard for mine and I'm always going to go the cheaper route when I can. Curious what you guys thoughts are on this.

Why would anyone pay for meetup when you could just advertise yourself with flyers and stuff, or meet people at a local store? Come on, really? I'm not made of money and don't feel any special loyalty to a random website. Just wondering, as I would rather go the cheaper route when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
HughJass wrote:

Some of us prefer the 'local guy' and price is not the only consideration. I try going anywhere but Amazon if I can. There are plenty of examples of people crying foul having purchased cheaply online then getting a crushed box with all the anguish and discussion going with it. You buy at a shop, you see what you get. Maybe you can even play an open copy there, chat with knowledgeable people. Browse. Make gaming friends. Get out of the house. A lot of this is worth that extra $12 you may spend getting the game. Just because you don't understand it does not make the people doing it stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leeth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I get the place to play but even that I see as limited value because of other public venues that are available. I am in the sales/marketing business and if Amazon can manage to beat game store prices by 40-60% then gaming stores have enough margin to reduce their prices. These stores guys are not expensive operations to run. There are no health code compliance issues or safety concerns. It's a simple shop with some shelves for merchandise and displays and a handful of employees. Their biggest expense would be rent and utilities so these stores can be ran pretty cheaply with little overhead compared to other businesses. If they were within 10-15% I would consider using them more but dang...come on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's supportinga local business that also gives you a place to play. Remember the online stores are making very little off your purchase which a store generally cannot afford to do. It would for the online stores because they sell at a high quantity where the game store has to keep an inventory and only sells a game on occasion. Also, they pay more for distributor shipping I imagine because of low volumes

With that said, and I don't have a convenient flgs nor one with a selection, I really don't agree with the sell at msrp pricing model. People might pay $10-15 more, but not $40. Selling more volume at a lower price usually means higher profit in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leeth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
AndySzy wrote:
HughJass wrote:

Why would anyone pay for meetup when you could just advertise yourself with flyers and stuff, or meet people at a local store? Come on, really? I'm not made of money and don't feel any special loyalty to a random website. Just wondering, as I would rather go the cheaper route when I can.

Meetups is $10 a month is worth my very valuable time to not have to print and do the leg work of using flyers and I made it clear to members that they would need to share the cost with me and so far they have been happy to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer

Herndon
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even know why you buy your games at all, whether online or retail. Let the other suckers attending your gaming groups buy the games, and you can just leech off of them for free. devil

You'll learn in life that there are different strokes for different folks. Some will wait months or years to buy the game as cheap as possible on the second-hand market. Others gotta have it now, so buy brand new at full retail. Everyone's different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon cheaper by 40-60% ? Not on a regular basis. Or with current/popular titles.

But as for the rest of your anti FLGS rant....yeah its been asked before, about a million times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have become loyal to a local game store over the last year and stopped online purchase. It comes down to a few main reasons.

1. I rarely want to buy $100 worth of games any more. I like my collection and I don't like waiting once a game comes out for other games to come out.

2. I can preorder without cash down.

3. Exchanges are easy if there are issues with the game.

4. Great staff that has gotten to know me.

5 BGG presence to let us know when something is happening at the store.

6. Loyalty programs and other discounts. Not CSI level but enough to cut the sting out.

7. Large, Clean, and Well lit gaming space.

8. Trade in policy.

9. Very large collection of games for sale. If I want it and it's in print they probably have it.

I just don't get that online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) supporting local business and people
2) venue to play at
3) one off games about the same as on-line
4) get to touch and look at game before buying

Yeah, why pay for meetup? Facebook groups are free and easier to use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you for the most part. No question you can find some great games at the Salvation Army, Frenchies and yard sales. The difficulty is when you want a brand new game or a hard to get game, aside from Amazon sometimes, the local shop will order the game you want, for you.
Others, as previously stated, want to support the local shops. Each to his own, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HughJass wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
HughJass wrote:

Meetups is $10 a month is worth my very valuable time to not have to print and do the leg work of using flyers and I made it clear to members that they would need to share the cost with me and so far they have been happy to do so.

Oh, sorry. I thought you said you went the cheaper route when you can; I guess you meant you went the cheaper route when you don't want to put in a little effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
HughJass wrote:
O.k. I'm sure this has been brought up in the past ....

your are correct... and every time it's brought up it's the same discussion repeated all over again...

For some of those threads see...

https://boardgamegeek.com/tag/buyingonline-vs-flgs/user/Jeff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HughJass wrote:
I get the place to play but even that I see as limited value because of other public venues that are available. I am in the sales/marketing business and if Amazon can manage to beat game store prices by 40-60% then gaming stores have enough margin to reduce their prices. These stores guys are not expensive operations to run. There are no health code compliance issues or safety concerns. It's a simple shop with some shelves for merchandise and displays and a handful of employees. Their biggest expense would be rent and utilities so these stores can be ran pretty cheaply with little overhead compared to other businesses. If they were within 10-15% I would consider using them more but dang...come on.

I'm fine with buying local. Besides supporting the store (if people didn't buy anything there wouldn't be a store), you also know the condition of the game because you see it in your hands. Shipping can be an adventure sometimes (I know more often than not games arrive safely).

Oh yea, I guess I'm lucky but in our area one store sells at 15% off MRSP and another just opened selling at 30%! cool (These are everyday prices with no incentive plan)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing to realize is that when you spend money online, that money leaves your community and invigorates another. When you spend locally, you keep the money locally, that means people in your neighborhood have money to spend at your workplace and keep you employed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why I buy at my FLGS:
in store hands on judgement still counts for a lot
staff is very inviting and helpful
demo copies
events
community news
community in general (its where I met my now regular gaming friends)

I don't often shop there but when I do its not that much more anyways and I am usualy buying a gift for someone else as my normal game buys are used, which btw if you go the cheapest why are you buying new?

I guess I sum it up by:
My FLGS gets its extra money because it supplies more than games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You bring up a very valid point Andrew. I don't think you should support a FLGS simply because they exist. However, if they are adding value to your gaming experience, then why not throw them a few extra dollars by paying MSRP? Some FLGS's offer a loyalty program which doesn't completely get you to Amazon pricing, but it gets them closer.

Does your game store make recommendations, offer space to play, or even give a venue to meet other gamers? These are reasons I support my FLGS. However, if you aren't getting anything out of them, I'd continue shopping online and I wouldn't feel bad about it. Just ask yourself, if your FLGS goes out of business, will it negatively impact me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
HughJass wrote:
I'm sure this has been brought up in the past

It has. But don't feel bad. 99% of the topics in here have been brought up in the past. But it's still fun reading various opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Local Jobs and local commerce and the good things that come from this.

Having a hobby shop that you can browse is a very excellent thing - use it or lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.