Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Note: This is a small review of a small expansion pack for the DC Comics Deck-Building Game. My review for the first base set of this game can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/977463/7-out-10-definitely-... There is no point getting this pack without first getting at least one base set. The rest of this review will assume a playable knowledge of the game.

The second DC Comics Deck-Building Game Crossover Pack contains new Heroes to play as (characters from the ARROW TV show), new cards for the main deck (all taken from the ARROW TV show) and new Supervillains to fight (all taken from the ARROW TV show – are you spotting a theme yet?).

That's all.

However, there's a problem.

In trying to make the ARROW cards stand out from the normal cards, they have created a weird pseudo-theme of putting cards under your character card to get some sort of bonus. This might have worked if there were more cards in the set or if this mechanic was seen in any other base or expansion pack in the game. But it's not. As such, putting these new cards in to a base deck dilutes them badly and putting them in with other expansion packs makes it even worse.

Nearly all the cards hurt other players so you can't really use them in co-operative mode and using them in competitive mode means they will be diluted even more as they are stretched over several players and therefore they lose their impact.

I don't recommend this set at all except to the biggest ARROW fans or completionists of the game line. In my opinion, this is the worst DC Deck-Building product and a serious misfire.

4 out of 10.

Note: I have learned from bitter experience with this site that I need to stress that all reviews – including this one – are entirely matters of opinion. I am not claiming that anything I have said in this review is fact, it is all entirely my opinion and I am sure that many others have different opinions. If you wish to reply with yours, I welcome it. I enjoy discussion but will not respond kindly to aggressive replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you basing your review on the notion that these cards would not all be used at the same time (everyone picks a Super Hero from this set, and the Super Villain stack is exclusively from this set)? I find that if you play this set plus one main deck of cards (from one standalone set), it doesn't really get diluted. Most of the Super Heroes by themselves have sustaining "hide" powers (not reliant upon any main deck cards or Super Villains). While not being specifically cooperative, these powers give Crisis mode players more freedom to manipulate what cards they have available to complete Crisis requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like this expansion quite a bit, but that's because we do the following:

- only the Arrow super villains and super heroes are used

- all other expansion cards (e.g., JSA and Legion Crossover cards) are removed from the main deck

- before swapping in the 14 main deck Arrow cards, 14 base game cards are randomly swapped out

This set-up guarantees that the expansion's unique mechanic has a reasonable effect on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Cincotta-Pipe
Australia
flag msg tools
The only thing I have against it is the art and that's just me being picky. I like the idea of mini expansions but they shouldn't have different rules just more cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.