Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Rules Clarification Document (RCD) was somewhat extensive, but this had the benefit in helping us clean up the Tide of Iron rules for the Next Wave edition. However, we know that it is impossible to cover every aspect of every situation no matter how detailed or well written the rule book, so I have started a new Rules Clarification Document for Tide of Iron: Next Wave (TOINW_RCD).

I will be adding the information of a recent discussion about AT specializations and assault attacks (See Below), but are there any other very useful clarifications that should be added to the RCDNW file?

- - - - -

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1647290
Q: Can the Anti-Tank Specialization be used in an Assault Attack?
A: No. The intent is that it is used against individual vehicles and not hexes (area attacks). See "Targeting Infantry or Vehicles" on page 21. For clarity, "Armor-Piercing Weaponry" should read as follows:

Armor-Piercing Weaponry: In all attacks against a vehicle (even when supporting an attack) a squad with anti-tank specialization has a base range value of 3 and +3 firepower. (Area attacks and assaults are exceptions to this rule; see page 31 and pages 31–34.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the TOI NW Rules Clarification Document we find the following question and answer.

Q: If special actions cannot be performed when a unit is pinned or disrupted, how does being pinned and disrupted affect special unit capabilities? For instance, can a pinned or disrupted squad with an officer still provide +1 cover against suppressive attacks? Can a pinned or disrupted squad with medic still provide +1 cover with bandage?

A: An officer’s Determination capability still applies even when the squad with the officer is pinned or disrupted. This also applies to the Medic’s Bandage capability, but not the Medic’s Heal capability. Typically, if a unit’s capability does not require that unit to be fatigued, use movement points, or use one of a nation’s actions, it may generally be applied even if that unit is pinned or disrupted.

I don't believe the above answer is in accordance with the Next Wave rules. Below is my proposed answer to this question and my support for the change.

A: All special abilities derived from a squad specialization are lost in the event the squad is pinned or disrupted. Thus, both the Medic’s Bandage and Heal capabilities would be lost for as long as such a squad is pinned.

Unlike a special squad ability (specialization), special abilities associated with a particular figure (such as an officer’s Determination or a machine gun crew’s Rapid Op Fire) are retained while pinned—unless explicitly restricted by the state of being pinned (or disrupted).

To support my contention that a Medic squad loses its Bandage ability when pinned (specifically cited in the question), please consider the following rules.

Tide of Iron NW, Tools of War: Medic, Pg 14 wrote:
Bandage: The medic squad, and any squad in the same hex with at least one medic squad, gains +1 cover against normal attacks. Thus, only one medic squad in a hex may use this ability during normal attacks.

So the rule above cites Bandage as an ability that is used. Now this.

Tide of Iron NW, Tools of War: Other Specialization Rules, Pg 16 wrote:
A squad with specialization may not use any of its special abilities and/or actions if it is pinned or disrupted.

For a more detailed discussion on this, please see Pinned Units sighting for Mortars? and OpFire in assaults?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
When ToI was under 1a games ray used to be able to give official answeres.
Thus, his word isn't just a random thought.

The wording isn't always perfect in ToI, and here an ability is something you use actively. Passive effect, like +1 cover from officers, should not be effect by being pinned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grand Stone wrote:
When ToI was under 1a games ray used to be able to give official answeres.
Thus, his word isn't just a random thought.

The wording isn't always perfect in ToI, and here an ability is something you use actively. Passive effect, like +1 cover from officers, should not be effect by being pinned.

The TOI rules draw no distinction between so-called “passive” or “active” special abilities. And there is no corresponding rule that restricts the officer’s Determination ability or the elite's Battle-Hardened ability if either is pinned.

One may argue an officer’s Determination and the Medic squad’s Bandage abilities are too similar in nature (enhanced cover) to be treated so inconsistently by the rules. It’s a convincing argument since the Bravo specialization curiously combines cover against both suppressive and normal fire into one specialization.

I believe to evenly handle all special abilities related to cover, the following understanding (rules exception) should be agreed to by all players.

A squad with specialization may not use any of its special abilities and/or actions if it is pinned or disrupted. (Exceptions to this rule are special abilities that add cover. Examples are the Medic’s Bandage and Bravo Unit’s Adept Defenders abilities, which remain in force; see Pg 14 and 15 in this section.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
You may very well be thrue about that. But I'm preaty sure that the intention you get determination regardless of wether you are pinned or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grand Stone wrote:
You may very well be thrue about that. But I'm preaty sure that the intention you get determination regardless of wether you are pinned or not.

Like you said, the wording isn't always perfect in ToI. And here, whatever we may interpret as the design intent, the rules, as written, are clear on this matter. I'm pointing this out to perhaps head off a potential rules dispute.

Therefore, if special cover abilities are to be retained (in all cases) even if pinned, there should be an understanding between the players before the game.

I'd not only agree to that understanding, myself, but would even recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
RomanLegions wrote:
Grand Stone wrote:

Like you said, the wording isn't always perfect in ToI. And here, whatever we may interpret as the design intent, the rules, as written, are clear on this matter. I'm pointing this out to perhaps head off a potential rules dispute.

Therefore, if special cover abilities are to be retained (in all cases) even if pinned, there should be an understanding between the players before the game.

I'd not only agree to that understanding, myself, but would even recommend it.

Agree completely

It's really irritating to begin discussing rules in the middle of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Writing rule books is already a difficult process, and sadly yes, sometimes the wording used to describe a rule can be misleading, and Tide of Iron: Next Wave is no exception to this flaw.

Like the Officer's Determination, the Bandage is one of those built in modifiers. It would have been much better had it said "modifier" instead of "ability":

Bandage: The medic squad, and any squad in the same hex with at least one medic squad, gains +1 cover against normal attacks. Thus, only one medic squad in a hex may use this modifier during normal attacks.

-----
Q: If special actions cannot be performed when a unit is pinned or disrupted, how does being pinned and disrupted affect special unit capabilities? For instance, can a pinned or disrupted squad with an officer still provide +1 cover against suppressive attacks? Can a pinned or disrupted squad with medic still provide +1 cover with bandage?

A: An officer’s Determination capability still applies even when the squad with the officer is pinned or disrupted. This also applies to the Medic’s Bandage capability, but not the Medic’s Heal capability. Typically, if a unit’s capability does not require that unit to be fatigued, use movement points, or use one of a nation’s actions, it may generally be applied even if that unit is pinned or disrupted. Note: For clarity, it would have been better had Bandage said "modifier" instead of "ability" because the word "ability" can be misleading (see page 14, Tools of War).
-----

The wording in red will be added to the RCD:NW. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
And thats why we have a RCD when people discover things.
Agree with you Ray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I agree. Treating the medic's Bandage like an officer's Determination brings the rule set in line with itself across these same type modifiers. Thanks, Ray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.