Subject: Two Questions: Gates and Focus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hasturmind
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is one of my favorite games as it scales well with just a few friends or several over for game night.

However, some minor questions have come up recently that maybe you fine folks can assist with.

Gates

The game set up says that you form 9 gates in the gate stack. I am wondering if I read this wrong or if this is an old rule prior to numerous expansions. Having several expansions, I now have several more gates than the ones that it came with. Obviously, if not using Pyramids or Mountains, I doubt you would pull those gates up and use the ones only found on the side board but what about other gates? Do those get thrown in to the main game, creating a gate pool of say, 14? Or should the gate stack be limited to just 9, pulling out base ones and including the ones that come with Pyramids and Mountains, respectively?

I suspect the answer is something I am merely overlooking.

Focus Action

Last night a card came up (and I cannot recall which one - perhaps a spell or an item) that stated 'when you perform a Focus Action improve X or do X.' What is considered a Focus action? Spending a Focus? Collecting a Focus?

Thank you so much for any responses. I suspect we will be playing again Saturday and the Gate question will almost certainly come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wilkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add all gates. With expansions you're not limited to 9.

A focus action is when you spend an action to collect a focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasturmind wrote:
Eldritch Horror is one of my favorite games as it scales well with just a few friends or several over for game night.

However, some minor questions have come up recently that maybe you fine folks can assist with.

Gates

The game set up says that you form 9 gates in the gate stack. I am wondering if I read this wrong or if this is an old rule prior to numerous expansions. Having several expansions, I now have several more gates than the ones that it came with. Obviously, if not using Pyramids or Mountains, I doubt you would pull those gates up and use the ones only found on the side board but what about other gates? Do those get thrown in to the main game, creating a gate pool of say, 14? Or should the gate stack be limited to just 9, pulling out base ones and including the ones that come with Pyramids and Mountains, respectively?

I suspect the answer is something I am merely overlooking.
Just follow the setup rules for the expansion, it'll tell you what to do with the Gate Tokens.

Quote:
Focus Action

Last night a card came up (and I cannot recall which one - perhaps a spell or an item) that stated 'when you perform a Focus Action improve X or do X.' What is considered a Focus action? Spending a Focus? Collecting a Focus?

Thank you so much for any responses. I suspect we will be playing again Saturday and the Gate question will almost certainly come up.
Again, read the expansion rules for the expansion that introduces Focus as a Mechanism. They all explain that a Focus Action is the action of acquiring a Focus Token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in the rule references, in the Mountains of Madness rulebook, on page 2, under the "Using This Expansion" section, it says:

Quote:
When playing with the Mountains of Madness expansion, add all expansion components to their respective decks or pools of Eldritch Horror components...

And then on page 5 of that rulebook, there is a section called "Focus Action" which explains that the Focus Action allows investigators to gain a Focus token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
The distinction between "gates on cities; expeditions on expedition spaces" gets systematically watered down in expansion, yes.
Both can occur on both now. Iirc by now all expansion spaces have a potential gate (plus 3 per sideboard if in use); I don't think we're at all cities represented in the expedition stack yet, it's missing 1 per continent or something. (Overall city expeditions are about half as rare as expedition space ones though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hasturmind
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is wonderful. Thanks so much, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.