Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Smelly Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else have a box that smells?

I noticed it the minute I opened the game box and found the same kind of smell that I have in my Legendary Encounters Aliens game.
I can also see that the cardboard type is the same for the two games as well; it's a much darker colour than most of my other games.
The smell isn't as bad here as in my alien game but the smell is just bad, just like someone vomited inside the box.
Does anyone know of a way to get rid of smelly boxes like this?
Could the smell be due to moisture in the cardboard maybe..? and if so has anyone had any luck with desiccant silica or something in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:

I noticed it the minute I opened the game box and found the same kind of smell that I have in my Legendary Encounters Aliens game.
I can also see that the cardboard type is the same for the two games as well; it's a much darker colour than most of my other games.
The smell isn't as bad here as in my alien game but the smell is just bad, just like someone vomited inside the box.
Could the smell be due to moisture in the cardboard maybe..? and if so has anyone had any luck with desiccant silica or something in the box.

Both games feature a lot of cards and new cards have that new game smell to them. Get rid of smell is easy, get rid of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hopkins
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing I've found is to put newspaper and baking soda in smelly places.

I do triathlons during the summer, and sometimes my running shoes get soaked while I'm swimming and biking. newspaper, followed by baking soda after they dry always gets rid of the stank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't buy the tile version for Hanabi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like vomit you say? I mean I know new game smell and it isn't vomit. I find new game smell pleasant not repulsive. So I wonder if it had to do with the conditions where these things were packed and sealed. I don't yet own this game so I can't comment on the expected smell.

I'd leave the box open and the components out to try and air out everything. Also I agree baking soda usually helps with odors. I think you should isolate if any particular component is generating the smell or if it is the box itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhopkins wrote:

I do triathlons during the summer, and sometimes my running shoes get soaked while I'm swimming and biking. newspaper, followed by baking soda after they dry always gets rid of the stank

Sachets of ground (not brewed) coffee work really well, too. Worked better than baking soda to get the smell of meat out of my deep freeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slabcity wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:

Both games feature a lot of cards and new cards have that new game smell to them. Get rid of smell is easy, get rid of the cards.

No, it's not the cards.
I have several other games with lots of cards without this problem; Lord Of The Rings card game, Dominion etc so the smell definately comes from the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Like vomit you say? I mean I know new game smell and it isn't vomit. I find new game smell pleasant not repulsive. So I wonder if it had to do with the conditions where these things were packed and sealed. I don't yet own this game so I can't comment on the expected smell.

I'd leave the box open and the components out to try and air out everything. Also I agree baking soda usually helps with odors. I think you should isolate if any particular component is generating the smell or if it is the box itself.

I usually find new games to smell rather nice as well, but trust me this box and the alien box smells nothing like any other new games I have ever purchased.
I had the Alien box sitting outside open for over a day to try and rinse the air without any effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
briezee wrote:
dhopkins wrote:

Sachets of ground (not brewed) coffee work really well, too. Worked better than baking soda to get the smell of meat out of my deep freeze.

Ok might need to try this out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hoffman
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just opened my copy today and I didn't notice any kind of odd smells.

However, my insert was ripped up. All other components are good, but I don't like to see boardgames get hurt though. I guess it's a good time to learn how to make a custom insert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FableHunter wrote:
I just opened my copy today and I didn't notice any kind of odd smells.

However, my insert was ripped up. All other components are good, but I don't like to see boardgames get hurt though. I guess it's a good time to learn how to make a custom insert!

Wasn't really a problem on mine to begin with either, it's become worse these last 2 days, bought it 5 days ago.
My insert was damaged as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the inserts has been commented upon frequently and will be altered to the next print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.