Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after a few games (2 and 3 player), here are a few initial thoughts.

We LOVE the theme and feel of the game. The worker placement + poker is an interesting combo and it forces a lot of pre-planning and thinking in an otherwise simple game.

It seems like resources (well, influence) is fairly easy to get. Often by mid-game we are swimming in influence but it does spend out fairly quickly. Still, it doesn’t seem like as much of a limited resource as I had hoped it would. Why does that matter? Well, see next point…

There isn’t a lot of pressure to take the ‘delayed’ actions since as noted above, there isn’t a lot of pressure to get the extra resource. Often the difference between the delayed and immediate is only 1 resource (you get one + a chance at 2 more on the Immediate space vs 2 + a chance at 2 more with the Delayed spaces).

Partly due to the above, there hasn’t been a lot of need for dueling. It’s nice to get the +1 resource, but again, it hasn’t been make or break. In addition, there seem to be plenty of spaces to choose from so multiple people needing the same space hasn’t seem to be overly common. Finally, since you can see the cards before placing, most people seem to place their Posse where they can win the hand so again, it cuts down on the overlap since it’s not as common for multiple people to feel they have a ‘good hand’ for specific locations.

The exception to the above seems to be the ‘Buy leftover buildings’ space at the Sheriff’s Office. Since there tends to be a lot of extra resources floating around, getting an extra building (and thus the VPs) seems important by mid-game. This has been the most dueled over space so far…

Most of the building abilities are very situational. Sure there are a few really ‘good’ ones here and there, but most will only benefit one person anyways (+x for every Wagon or whatever). I think the VPs and the Industry points are the primary motivators here and since those are so important, it seems like you want to try and buy a building every turn you can.

And finally, due to the need to buy buildings as often as possible, it seems like the +3rd Posse ability (for 1 influence) seems very strong. I’m not sure I’d say ‘overpowered’ but so far, I’ve played the Lawman and the Entertainer and neither ability has been all that used (I thought the Lawman’s ability was really good at first but in practice, the lack of need for dueling cut down on the utility of it and the Entertainer’s ability is even weaker, basically requiring you to lose a duel to be useful).

Most of the above are merely observations, not criticisms. Overall, everyone who has played has enjoyed it and the games move pretty fast once people get over the initial learning curve. There’s a bit of a brain burn trying to figure out how to start out, but eventually you start to just tailor your actions based on what card(s) you drew and make the best of it.

We are looking forward to playing again so that’s definitely a plus!

What have other people found from their initial plays? Do you see a lot of meaningful dueling (other than people just wanting to roll the dice! Lol)? Are you seeing large amounts of resources stockpiled like us or are they more scarce in your games? Any other thoughts other than what we have observed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only been able to play once, but for the most part we did not find influence as plentiful as you did. It might just be that we have not learned to be efficient at the game yet.

We also had a fair bit of dueling, since you can only buy cards that are at buildings you have placed on, it sometimes required getting a specific resource that multiple players needed. Since only one player can be at the specific resource spot regardless if they want the immediate or delayed, this often caused a duel.

We thought the extra posse for 1 influence sounded overpowered also, but my 10-year-old was the one playing it, and he doesn't have the experience we have had at these type of games, so it did not seem to have much effect. I don't know if a different player would have had much of an effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far two games each of 2 and 3-player. This little box packs a solid mid-weight, 60 minute experience. TEW is now tops on our travel list.

We are still trying to find the under and overpowered player boards. Any thoughts on this yet?

As for influence, there hasn't been an over abundance. Occasionally someone won't be able to buy a building due to lack of influence. One player had max'd all three influence tokens by round 5 and lost badly because he hadn't purchased enough buildings to gain VPs.

I do wish the influence tokens were bigger. They are hard to maneuver and easily brushed off the table.

Overall, an excellent quality production with solid gameplay and high replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
The only real problem I have with the game is the balance of player powers, some of them are almost worthless, while others are very worthwhile, and one is just amazing. It seems they still have not learned how to properly play test their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why you would have an abundance of influence, when people should be using that to buy buildings every round? What was your highest point total at the end of the game? Ours was around 26, for 2 players. I know different buildings, characters, etc. are going to make the game different, but I still can't imagine people not using up their influence when they get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.