Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to find out what your gaming preference is, whether that be to go deep (few games, played many times) or go wide (many games, played few times) and how it pertains to your collecting habits.

There are a lot of users on BGG that have amazing collections, but do they play even half their games regularly? For me, as someone in my board game collection infancy, I've already found that my modest collection provides me with challenges in getting certain games to the table. And that is something that often prevents me from getting new games because I know there are ones I have and haven't played yet (or if I have, I haven't played enough).

I really like the idea of 'going wide' as it pertains to collecting. I like having more of the things that I like if only because it provides me with opportunities. What I mean is that if I had a 100-game collection, I don't know if I'd play more often or even more games than I play right now, but I'd always have the *opportunity* to play them at any moment, if that makes sense. And to me, the opportunity can be as valuable as the actuality. While I may continue to gravitate to specific games over and over again, at any time, if I had more games, I could start playing something else.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I prefer to 'go deep' in practice, but like the idea of 'going wide' in theory. I don't think either side of the fence is better or worse than the other. I'm just curious as to the motivations of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Belveal
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I just recently decided to share a board game collection, that being said we have basically been trying to build up inventory so we have kind of been playing a bunch of games 1 or 2 times since we have several coming in. However, if I find a game I really really enjoy, I can easily stick with it for a long time. Especially when those games pick up where you left off. I prefer to have a few games that our group can always set up and play without having to refer to the rules or be taught new games every weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current trend is wide but maybe because I consider myself somewhat new-ish to the hobby.

Before I got into board gaming I was deep with Magic: The Gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Why not both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group and I are willing to buy a likely looking game just for the experience of playing it. That's one vote for wide.

We keep only the games we want to play over and over again. That's one vote for deep. The games that don't make it get sold or traded away for new gaming experiences.

It works for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
capndeevers wrote:
I'm curious to find out what your gaming preference is, whether that be to go deep (few games, played many times) or go wide (many games, played few times) and how it pertains to your collecting habits.

My play habits, I suppose, are to go wide - I play 300-500 different games each year, an average of about two times. And more than half of the games I've played in the past two decades I've only played once.

But when considering the games in my collection, I tend to go deep. As of today, I have 299 games in my collection, and I'm aiming to play them all in 2016 (I have 14 left to get to). Further, I've played all but one of them at least 6 times (one game which I acquired a couple of months ago I've only played 3 times), and I'm not too far from the point where I'll have played every game in my collection at least 7 times. I'm also approaching the point where there will be more games in my collection which I've played 50+ times than games I've played less than 10 times.

I suppose I'm really looking for a mix of variety with lots of attention still paid to my favorites. Fortunately, I've not had difficulty finding this balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really have a "game group". I have friends and family who are sometimes willing to play games with me. In order to maximize the amount of play time I get with them, I will seek out games that they are likely to play with me (wide), but often folks will really want to replay their favorite game (deep). This is one of the reasons I'm into expansions: it gives me the thrill of shiny new toys to play with, while being more likely to hit the table than some new, untested game. There are a few games that don't make it to the table, but I hang on to them because I look forward so much to the day that they do, but the rest will be sold or traded (if I can).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I rarely play and can only entice either my daughter or my husband to play 2-player, I want the majority of this to be great gaming with games I love, am familiar with, and both of us can be engaged in and play well.

So......my vote is DEEP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a self-described and proud "game slut," generally. I like variety. But this year I've found myself moving more towards depth, and I'm feeling like I need to spend more time with some of the titles I own that I've played 0-4 times before I go out and buy any more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more of a deep person, but my collection is wide. At any given time I generally play certain games from my collection a lot more frequently than others. I own a bunch of games, I haven't played in a while and probably won't get around to again for a while, but it doesn't bother me. I figure they are just patiently waiting their turn. The same thing goes for my video game collection. Lots of games, probably play only a handful more regularly. My video game playing has actually diminished quite a bit as I tend to focus more on board games when I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My eyes were bigger than my belly.

I really, really like the idea of getting to know my games very well. On the other hand, wow, this new game looks amazing, I don't want to miss out!

I am on a games buying diet now, finishing up existing plans, with a view to coming to a complete halt! Hmmm, I wish they'd stop reprinting games, I see Medici is out!

That said, my wife will add a few games a year, so I'll still get to play some of the cool new stuff. Just nothing with space ships, take that, armies, pirates, cowboys, fantasy, cars, trains, a gazillion cards, ...

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I get bored very quickly if I repeat an activity like a board game too often, so I have tried to build a collection of games that my wife and I can rotate through to keep things fresh (going wide).

In actual practice, however, we have established favorite games that we tend to choose more often than our other games (going deep). That has led to a collection of games of which only about 25% get played often, and the others much less often. However, I still value those less played games: whenever we want to play "something different", all I have to do is walk over and pull one of them off the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough call. I'm two years into the hobby, so there are maaany games I haven't played... and I want to play them. So right now I play numerous games, and only shorter light games consistently.

But, I'm also stoked anytime my groups want to play games we've played before. I love developing new strategies, introducing other noobs to games I like, and of course not having to learn new rules every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do a little bit of both.

What I mean by that is that a new game (or expansion) "wanders" into the house about once every few months (so a little wide?). But we tend to play a game several times in row for a month or two before switching on to something else.

Some of it depends on "season". For example, around the holidays, when my daughter is around, we tend to play slightly lighter games that allow for more players (Elfenland, Las Vegas,One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Citadels and BANG! ) or things that simply play quickly like Splendor or Palazzo - but we tend to "hop around" a lot over the holidays (game-wise) so we go more wide then.

During more "normal times" we are a bit more "deep". We have been known to play 5-6 games of Puerto Rico in a row, before playing anything else in between, as an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
I get bored very quickly if I repeat an activity like a board game too often, so I have tried to build a collection of games that my wife and I can rotate through to keep things fresh (going wide).

In actual practice, however, we have established favorite games that we tend to choose more often than our other games (going deep). That has led to a collection of games of which only about 25% get played often, and the others much less often. However, I still value those less played games: whenever we want to play "something different", all I have to do is walk over and pull one of them off the shelf.

This is the crux of how I feel - or want to feel in the future. By necessity right now, due to only having a handful of games available at my house, I'm necessarily going deeper on games because the alternative isn't there. But I'd love to get to a future state that would allow me to go wider if and when the spirit moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ligon
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Width.

Game play is just one aspect of games that I like. I like seeing game design as much as playing games. I really like abstractions of different subjects. Reading the design the first time is often worth the price of admission.

After a few times playing each game, I often feel like I've 'conquered' the game. I'll circle back in a few years and play it again, but I think I have the gist and the basic strategy for play. I make no claim to be a strategic expert on such games. I'm just not interested in the metagaming that lies beyond the first few plays of the game. It is the rare game that I own that I have never once played… The New Era, Sedition Wars, Confrontation, LoTOW and Age of War are four of about 100.

I own over 100 games. I've played or written home-brews of probably another 200. Over half of that additional number is just to provide friends flesh-and-blood opponents.

There are some games that I play deeper, but that is less than 10% of all games I've ever played. The commonality of games that I keep plunking away at are multiple paths to victory… speed, economic, martial, duplicity, etc. Either that or that they are versatile miniature skirmish games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to have a very wide collection because:

1) I do not enjoy playing the same game multiple times in a row. Having a larger collection lets me switch it up frequently without playing a single game too many times in a short time frame. I've found that I dislike playing the same game too frequently because it often starts feeling too similar to me as though I'm repeating myself.

2) I like to have a variety of game types to suite my mood. I've found that there is a rather broad variety of game categories, weights, tactility types, themes, and durations that I like so I like to have a collection that can accommodate.

3) I am quite often the game enthusiast, procurer, and host of the groups I game with. I have a variety of games to accommodate differing experience levels, preferences, player counts, weights, and durations.

I also make sure that as many of my games as possible fall into the deep type of collection. I invest in my games with the expectation that I'll still be enjoying them when I'm very very old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Why not both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a desire to go "Deep" (no innuendo intended). It is the only way to get really good at games and squeeze all the play-ability out of them, and truly get your money's worth. One of my first games I got was Battlestar Galactica and we played that game about 6 times in about the same amount of months. Man was that fun to get to really know the game. However, I can't stop wanting new stuff, and when I get the new stuff, I want to play it right away. I'm living a life of "Wide".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely going for deep , if I play a game five times and don't want to play it anymore I feel I shouldn't of bought it in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to go Wide, because I don't want to play a game I like so often that I get sick of it. For the most part, I intend my favorite games to be forever games.

That said, for steep learning curve games, I may need to start out going Deep at first so I don't forget what I have learned between plays. Once I get comfortable with a game, I can then put it on the Wide pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to go wide for the most part, with some games I go deeper on. I enjoy learning new games and new systems.

My husband prefers to go deep, and seems to dislike the learning process for new games though usually enjoys the games once he gets through that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep. I hate playing bad games and would much rather play my favorites over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely wide. I get bored staying in the same theme over and over. I'd much rather try out new puzzles than optimize a single one.

Of course, there are exceptions to this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a wide who wishes he was a deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.