Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any interest in the annual unofficial disc golf outing on Friday morning? I am setting aside the morning for banging chains if anyone wants to join me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nordin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely in, but will be depending on others for transportation. Disc golf has become one of my favorite BGG traditions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cooke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to join in but I'd also need transportation. I assume it's BYO discs, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nordin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first year I went I borrowed some discs, but yeah, most folks bring their own. I just throw 3-4 in the back of my carry on bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlnordin wrote:
The first year I went I borrowed some discs, but yeah, most folks bring their own. I just throw 3-4 in the back of my carry on bag.

I have dozens of discs and will bring as many as I can fit after games and luggage (gotta have priorities) so there will be loaners. And I will have my car and can fit 5 (including me) snugly or 4 with some elbow room.

I went several years back but haven't been since at BGG. Is Bear Creek still the goto park?

What time works for ya'll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keen to play pretty much every morning. However, as an out of towner, I rely on the charity of others for rides. (Thanks to all those that have given me rides in years past.) I heard rumour that bear creek was no longer open but I could be wrong. There are some other great courses in the area that we have gone to in the past. I hope to play some of them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nomad wrote:
I'm keen to play pretty much every morning. However as an out of town ER I rely on the charity of others for rides. (Thanks to all those that have given me rides in years past.) I heard rumour that bear creek was no longer open but I could be wrong. There are some other great courses in the area that we have gone to in the past. I hope to play some of them again.

Disc Golf Course Review has a course condition for Bear Creek posted on 18 July. I hope that means it's open. That is the course I played several (3?) years ago during the con. Turner Park is also not far and rates a bit higher. It has water hazards though and I'm not sure how easy they are to retrieve discs from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Paquet
United States
Casco
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to join in on the fun. First time to the con. I would also need to hitch a ride with someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Champlin
United States
Fort Worth
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly the city of Grapevine has decided to turn the course into a dog park. Construction for the transition has already begun, several holes are now gone. More are planned to be removed. It is a shame really. shake It was a great course. I would recommend planning the outing for a different local course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know me and the group I'm attending with will be more than enthused for some disc golf. I'm surprised I beat them to this post, but they are probably out playing right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have wanted to play every year, but something always happens and I miss it. I might as well bring my discs just in case I can make it this time though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turner Park is great. I played there the last couple years and loved it. Water hazards aren't that big an issue there. Most discs can be easily retrieved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play, but I'm at the mercy of transportation. If it's not that far away we could have multiple people split Ubers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative, how about a parking lot version of Ultimate?

I can bring the orange cones and the 175g disk. No diving of course but there is room outside on the hotel's walking/jogging path which is actually the surface parking gargage.

Could be some good exercise to start the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many who are interested will be able to provide transportation?

I will and can seat 5 and all our gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightbringer12 wrote:
Sadly the city of Grapevine has decided to turn the course into a dog park. Construction for the transition has already begun, several holes are now gone. More are planned to be removed. It is a shame really. shake It was a great course. I would recommend planning the outing for a different local course.

I just played this course last Friday. All of the holes were still there and could likely still be there during the con. Several of the holes have been impacted by the construction with nearly all of the trees removed from them. It's not nearly the course it used to be but still playable and enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
Lightbringer12 wrote:

I just played this course last Friday. All of the holes were still there and could likely still be there during the con. Several of the holes have been impacted by the construction with nearly all of the trees removed from them. It's not nearly the course it used to be but still playable and enjoyable.

I'm thinking Turner Park just to showcase a non-construction impacted course to the non-locals. Also, I haven't checked it off yet on my list of parks played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to go to Turner park again. It's a great course. I recall it being a bit longer and probably a bit less new player friendly but is a far superior course. (In my opinion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice at past conventions and would like to go again, to either course (assuming Turner Park isn't too much farther away than Bear Creek.
I also cannot drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nomad wrote:
I'd love to go to Turner park again. It's a great course. I recall it being a bit longer and probably a bit less new player friendly but is a far superior course. (In my opinion)

Per Disc Golf Course Review, it is longer (5881 ft. vs. 3812 ft.) and doesn't have any short tees - definitely not as new player friendly.

ryansdavis wrote:
I've played twice at past conventions and would like to go again, to either course (assuming Turner Park isn't too much farther away than Bear Creek.

Google Maps shows Bear Creek at 8.5 miles/11 min away vs. Turner at 14.2/18 min. Not significantly farther, though we would be driving over there during rush hour.

Quote:
I also cannot drive.

That's going to be our problem - we need more transportation. I can only fit 5 in my car and that will be a little tight though doable. Others may have to Uber over there if we can't find more cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought being beginner-friendly was a feature of this particular event. BGG was actually my first time playing real disc golf and gave me the bug for the sport, so I got a set of discs for the Christmas after I returned. I would hope to keep that aspect of introducing potential new players to the sport

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webster
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Grapevine and Turner. I think both courses are suitable for a Novice player. Turner is overall a longer course, not necessarily a difficult course. I am trying to figure my schedule to play on Friday and will vote for Turner. If things work out, I should be able to pick-up 4 individuals at Hyatt Regency on Friday morning. I will post on this thread when I know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nordin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one of the past few years we partnered up and played best disc, which reduces the burden on new players, and on folks like me who often just choke on a drive. :D

That year was fun, though I leaned on Steven far more than I helped him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlnordin wrote:
At least one of the past few years we partnered up and played best disc, which reduces the burden on new players, and on folks like me who often just choke on a drive.

That year was fun, though I leaned on Steven far more than I helped him.

I've got no problem with doubles, but I do prefer best drive and alternating throws after. It makes each partner partially responsible for the score and the experienced player can still make up a lot of ground. But I'd be good with Best Shot doubles, too.

Just so long as I get to play some disc golf

Regardless, we'd still be very newbie friendly and not make beginners feel unwelcome. It's just that longer courses tend to mean that beginners score higher and courses with the higher course difficulty will mean more shots by beginners in the rough.

And keep in mind that we aren't playing for prizes. Just for fun. Though I wouldn't sneeze at an optional ace pot (closest to pin on the first hole after the round if no one hits it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope
Craig Marshall
United States
Anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is able to join. He's the guy that was my partner in my first time out and was super awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.