$20.00
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been discussed in various ways already, so if the answer is out there, please share a link.

Which of the following photos that I took (if that matters) could I use for a free PnP game I'm developing (hypothetically):
- Statue of Liberty (in the U.S.)
- Eiffel Tower (not in the U.S, if that matters)
- a statue on a church

What are the deciding factors?
- government owned property
- age of piece of art
- something else?

I came back from a European vacation with a bunch of really cool statue photos that could make some nice art for a game.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Quite murky. Have a look at this quick read:

http://www.sculpture.org/documents/scmag05/may_05/webspecs/g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understand this, the art you are using is the picture you took (which you own the rights to) and not the subject of the picture. Provided the statues are on public display (ie you didn't break the law to take the pictures), there is no problem using them.

Or, not, apparently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Quite murky. Have a look at this quick read:

http://www.sculpture.org/documents/scmag05/may_05/webspecs/g...

Thanks. I Googled, read that article and one or two more, then figured I'd post here to ask.

Could I use these statues as 4 characters in a game? (Photo taken in the EU).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that those statues are old enough that copyright no longer applies to them, it's my lay understanding that your photo belongs to you and you can distribute and derive from it as much as you like.

Probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sobr
msg tools
designer
Landmarks are in 99% cases considered a public domain and so are free for commercial use.

There is only a handful of exceptions to this (like Stonehenge in the UK) for which you need a permission, but as long as you took the photos in a public space (as in not inside of a historical building for example) you're good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.