$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Yury T
Russia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After year of playing Quartermaster General (vanilla, then vanilla + Air Marshall, then vanilla + Air Marshall + Alternate Histories) I can clearly see that Allies have an advantage in our playing group. Winning rate is about 30/70 toward Allies, and it is almost impossible to newbies to win as Axis.

I’d like to make some changes to make sides more equal, to give Axis some extra chances to win. Also I consider the Ian’s words about QMG: this is game of cards, and maybe there are should be no extra rules, but extra cards. So I came to some extra cards. To strengthen Axis a little I made 3 new statuses. One for Germany, One for Italy, one for Japan.

It all started from Japan. When we play QMG, the first 2-3 turns are very boring for Japan player. He often says “Another Response”, plays response and game goes on. To make Japan play some more interesting I invented a status that alloys Japan to play an Economic Warfare card or even Status card when playing Response.

“Reaction Play: When you play Response card you may play second card – Economic Warfare (always) or Status (only if you have more Responses then Statuses)”

This Status doesn’t change Japan position on the game board. Japan can no deal extra attacks or build extra pieces. It can only make an Economic Warfare to get Allies to discard some cards, give to Axis some extra points and maybe set in play some statuses that could give Japan some points in future (if Japan will be able to capture needed territories).

The second new Status comes to Germany. Having about 70 QMG session, I have almost never seen Germany playing Economic Warfare cards. Germany simply can not allow to do so. If Germany did no building nor attacked, their turn is almost wasted. Only few Economic Warfare plays we did in the endgame, at 17-19 turns when they can not change the game outcome. Also we never played “Wolf Packs”.

But Germany have powerful Economic Warfare cards and I wanted them to come in play. So I made a status for Germany that allows German player to play an Economic Warfare card when playing any basic build or battle cards.

“Powerful Warfare: When you play Build Army, Build Navy, Land Battle or Sea Battle you may play an Economic Warfare as a second card this turn” .

This Status also doesn’t change German position on the game board. Germany can no deal extra attacks or build extra pieces. It can only make an Economic Warfare to get Allies to discard some cards, give to Axis some extra points and maybe get rid of some powerful Allies cards.

And now I came to Italy. It is a minor power, It have fever possibilities than a Germany and even fever with new German “Powerful Warfare” Status. So I decided to give Italy some extra power. Here comes new status that allows Italy always play an Economic Warfare as a second card in turn.

“Strategic Axis Support: You may play an Economic Warfare as a second card in turn”.

This Status also doesn’t change Italy position on the game board. Italy can no deal extra attacks or build extra pieces. It can only make an Economic Warfare to get Allies to discard some cards, give to Axis some extra points and maybe get rid of some powerful Allies cards. And Italy has thinner deck in a game, so playing Economic Warfare cards could get the Italy’s deck exhausted before the end of the session (about to turn 15).

Those three statuses are special starting statuses. They are given to Germany, Japan and Italy at the start of the games.

We did played with those statuses one game and Axis won (surprisingly . I have just one doubt – extra Economic Warfare cards give Axis extra points, so maybe I will modify those statuses to give Axis no points for playing Economic Warfare as a second card. Or to get Axis to pay for this extra card discarding a card from the deck. But now I kile those statuses, we will try them next time without any modifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the German power, maybe "Total War" would be more thematic than Powerful Warfare. That's the phrase Goebbels used in the Sportpalast speech in 1943.

I'm looking forward to trying these out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.