Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow game-smiths,

I have a project I am working on for which I need some fairly small hexes. Specifically, the size needs to be 1cm from side to opposite side (nearly 1.2 cm from corner to opposite corner). Its width should be around 2mm thick.

As for the material for these hex counters, I imagine cardboard like that used in most boardgames. Perhaps there is an existing game that provides hex counters with these dimensions?

If not, where can one obtain custom ordered die cut counters? Or would other materials be easier to use in making the counter / chit?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it really have to be hexes? You can buy circle punches in various sizes. And you can more easily cut squares yourself, which can be offset 1/2 space on alternate rows for a hex pattern. In other words, for all but a production copy hexes may be more effort than they are worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum
badge
In Fancy Llama we Trust
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're ok to lay a pattern over the material you want to use and cut them out, a site like below can be used to generate the right size hexes.

https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

Not an ideal solution, but something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Does it really have to be hexes? You can buy circle punches in various sizes. And you can more easily cut squares yourself, which can be offset 1/2 space on alternate rows for a hex pattern. In other words, for all but a production copy hexes may be more effort than they are worth.

I think it must, because I need counters that fit within plastic hexes that contain hex-shaped sockets of the stated dimensions.

But perhaps circles could fit in snugly enough. I will look into it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professormole wrote:
If you're ok to lay a pattern over the material you want to use and cut them out, a site like below can be used to generate the right size hexes.

https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

Not an ideal solution, but something.

It may be my only solution. I greatly appreciate the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
callidusx3 wrote:
Perhaps there is an existing game that provides hex counters with these dimensions?

I doubt it - that's tiny!

Getting a die made up would be an option, but it would be a fairly expensive one; making a cutting die means someone bending and laying steel knives into a wooden block by hand, so it's labour-intensive.

If you don't need that many, your best bet is probably to print them out arranged in a pattern like this one so you can cut them out with lots of long-straight cuts. Glue the printed paper down to some thick cardboard, score part-way through the board in two directions, cut all the way through in the third and then you can run the knife down the score marks to cut individual hexagons off of the strip.

Alternatively, it's possible to get hex bar in various plastics (e.g. http://www.hexrod.com/Delrin.html ) so if you have the tools you could just take slices off of a bar like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try a leather hex punch. Not tried a shape, but I use a round arch punch to make my own tokens and labels for discs.

Hexagon Leather Punch

An expensive solid punch alternative would be:

HEXAGON Disc Cutter

Note that I have zero experience with the ones listed in the links above and can't speak to their quality. But both offer the size you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
callidusx3 wrote:
Perhaps there is an existing game that provides hex counters with these dimensions?

I doubt it - that's tiny!

Yes it is!

Bichatse wrote:
Getting a die made up would be an option, but it would be a fairly expensive one; making a cutting die means someone bending and laying steel knives into a wooden block by hand, so it's labour-intensive.

Agreed, that is prohibitive.

Bichatse wrote:
If you don't need that many, your best bet is probably to print them out arranged in a pattern like this one so you can cut them out with lots of long-straight cuts. Glue the printed paper down to some thick cardboard, score part-way through the board in two directions, cut all the way through in the third and then you can run the knife down the score marks to cut individual hexagons off of the strip.

What a great idea, in more ways than one! I have two ways I can approach the use of these hexes, either individually or grouped into a particular pattern. The pattern you linked me to could help me with the latter.

Bichatse wrote:
Alternatively, it's possible to get hex bar in various plastics (e.g. http://www.hexrod.com/Delrin.html ) so if you have the tools you could just take slices off of a bar like that!

I looked into that, but $50+ might be prohibitive (not accounting for the cost of the tool to cut it as well).

Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
You could try a leather hex punch. Not tried a shape, but I use a round arch punch to make my own tokens and labels for discs.

Hexagon Leather Punch

An expensive solid punch alternative would be:

HEXAGON Disc Cutter

Note that I have zero experience with the ones listed in the links above and can't speak to their quality. But both offer the size you want.

Now that is thinking outside the box, thanks. The second link is too expensive, but it did direct me to other options. The first might work, but working with leather will be new (I wonder how it holds up over time untreated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Laser cut mdf?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...mmcgn29cy6hnppARXq6ZSMrA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be tempted to try the leather punch on cardboard.

With any hex purchase, just make sure you're talking the same measurement -- side-to-side or corner-to-corner. I once bought a couple hundred wooden hexes advertised as 2". They were 2", but corner to corner, making them too small for my purposes.

Edit: If you have access, the laser cut ones would be a viable option. Guess it would depend on how many you need and if you have a graphic that needs to go on the face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
cormor321 wrote:

Has anybody purchased any of these mdf hexagons from a supplier in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I've only purchase circles and always from overseas. Never had any luck finding the sizes I wanted at decent prices inside the US. I was happy with what I got from the Australian place I linked to though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Swanson
msg tools
I highly recommend you make the hexes yourself. First, buy the hex punches (for leather) linked to above. I tried using a number of different options for cutting different sized circles out of chitboard, and now that I have a set of punches, I won't use anything else. The results are consistent, and the punches have retained their edge well after I've punched out over 100 chits. The 'craft cutters' I tried worked once or twice before breaking and becoming useless - they simply can't handle chitboard.

Get the punches, get a 'cutting mat', which is basically a hard rubber mat obtainable at any craft store (sometimes referred to as 'self-healing' mats). Put the mat on a rock-solid surface (like a garage floor. A kitchen table or countertop will NOT do), and hammer away. You will not be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
earache wrote:

If you go for punches such as these, bear in mind that they are a bit different from the "arch punch" variety that most people use for circular counters. Arch punches are generally used to make a circular thing that you want to keep, for gaskets and the like; hollow punches like these are generally used to make a circular hole in something (generally leather) that you want to keep. So it may be that the hexagon that gets punched out doesn't survive the process the same way that the circle that gets cut out with an arch punch does.

Certainly you're going to have to be more careful with these punches to not punch too many things at once to avoid the hexagons getting jammed up inside and damaging themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Swanson
msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
earache wrote:

If you go for punches such as these, bear in mind that they are a bit different from the "arch punch" variety that most people use for circular counters. Arch punches are generally used to make a circular thing that you want to keep, for gaskets and the like; hollow punches like these are generally used to make a circular hole in something (generally leather) that you want to keep. So it may be that the hexagon that gets punched out doesn't survive the process the same way that the circle that gets cut out with an arch punch does.

Certainly you're going to have to be more careful with these punches to not punch too many things at once to avoid the hexagons getting jammed up inside and damaging themselves.

This is a great point. I use circular arch punches, because they are designed to keep the inside of the hole. If you can find hex arch punches, that would be the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
earache wrote:

Thanks for making note of this issue. I am still considering whether to buy the punches (since I bought a score of chipboard sheets). However, I am leaning toward Kent Reuber's suggestion below (from a similar thread I started in wargame forum):

kentreuber wrote:
They list 15mm hexagonal tiles http://www.litko.net/products/Hexagonal-Miniatures-Bases%3A-... in their catalog. You might contact them and see if they could do 10mm hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent's right, Litko is where you want to go. 100 10mm x 3mm acrylic hexes for $11.99 / 50 for $5.99 is pretty reasonable. He has them in transparent colors clear and birch plywood. Has a handy calculator for doing customs.

Litko BaseMaker

Have had custom bases and templates made by him before and thought they were extremely reasonable. For my templates, made them directly from a pdf I sent him.

Don't know why I didn't think of them sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
Kent's right, Litko is where you want to go. 100 10mm x 3mm acrylic hexes for $11.99 / 50 for $5.99 is pretty reasonable. He has them in transparent colors clear and birch plywood. Has a handy calculator for doing customs.

Litko BaseMaker

Have had custom bases and templates made by him before and thought they were extremely reasonable. For my templates, made them directly from a pdf I sent him.

Don't know why I didn't think of them sooner.

No worries, your input opened my eyes to various possibilities. I will likely print out my graphics onto sticker paper and apply them to the hexes individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
Would tiles work? Wooden circles and a bench grinder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toasterpastry wrote:
Would tiles work? Wooden circles and a bench grinder?

Well, I have tiles already. I need these thin hexes to affix to the tile.

As for wooden circles, no those would not work for this part of the project (though maybe they could function as tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.