Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the fact that so many new shiny games are coming this time of the year, I didn't expect to spend so much time on a game that came out in the 20th century.

I've heard of Tigris & Euphrates from more experienced gamers, but I wrote it off as being an outdated abstract game. I tend to like sci-fi games and such, so I didn't think too much of it. Well, out of sheer boredom I got the app of the game and tried it out. I went through the tutorial, and the game immediately clicked for me. I completely understood why fans of this game speak so highly of the mechanics and the tight design; it all made sense. Even the aspects of the game I did not entirely understand, like the oddly specific number of red tiles in the game, imply a mathematical level of precision that went into it's design.

Now onto the "theme". As a child, I excelled at courses in school that dealt with math and science. I enjoyed those subjects and I had an affinity for them. The one subject I disliked most was history. I specifically remember a substitute teacher that forced us to copy paragraphs of text of of a chalk board while we were learning about Mesopotamia. This game got me so interested in its theme, that I went and read about Mesopotamia and the amazing effects it had on our culture despite not being interested in history, for the most part. I used quotation marks when I said theme because many people don't think the theme is integrated very well. I disagree. I think the mechanics, and even the components from what I've seen online, mesh very well with the theme of the game.

This game came out of the blue, and now it is one of my favorites. I'm currently looking for anyone willing to trade it to me, but if it doesn't happen soon enough I'm just going to buy a new copy. So yeah, not a review or anything. Just thought I'd share that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: thanks for the warm welcome everybody!
I will happily join the club of fans, all hail the Lamassu!
(and rate the game a 10, it deserves it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Welcome to the T&E club! Now go rate it highly so it doesn't fall out of the top 50 laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay away from this cursed game - you will never be able to play another game again without wishing that you played Tigris & Euphrates instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Welcome to the T&E club!

... or the E&T club depending on your market (original German edition is E&T)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
JeffyJeff wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Welcome to the T&E club!

... or the E&T club depending on your market (original German edition is E&T)

T&E, E&T... ALL are welcome in the club meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E (or E&T) was the game that brought me to modern board gaming. It's amazing to hear people getting into it by means of the app as well. This is really a timeless classic, a design masterpiece.

I hope you put your hands on a physical copy soon. Face-to-face Tigris&Euphrates is a wonderful experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
A great, great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it 105 times with human opponents I can tell you that it doesn't get old. You used to be able to play PBEM/Async play on BGG but unfortunately that's not available any longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
You just made me realize I had forgotten to rate it! Another 10... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbucak wrote:
Having played it 105 times with human opponents I can tell you that it doesn't get old. You used to be able to play PBEM/Async play on BGG but unfortunately that's not available any longer.
I haven't check, but maybe it's available on VASSAL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely available via iOS. I miss the BGG implementation, I had chalked up 100s of plays over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy D
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
npa > sjf
badge
npa > sjf
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played (and won) my fourth game on Friday night. What a blast. Each time I play I learn just a little bit more. Good stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
It's definitely available via iOS. I miss the BGG implementation, I had chalked up 100s of plays over the years.

That was just amazing. I guess that's what turned me into a reasonable player (and still, it was very rare I could beat the regulars - some were really, really amazing players).

I have the Android app, but it doesn't allow online multiplayer games, which is sad. BGG's implementation was really the best I ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lbleicher wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

That was just amazing. I guess that's what turned me into a reasonable player (and still, it was very rare I could beat the regulars - some were really, really amazing players).

I have the Android app, but it doesn't allow online multiplayer games, which is sad. BGG's implementation was really the best I ever played.
How exactly did BGG's implementation work? Was it a play-by-forum type of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:

How exactly did BGG's implementation work? Was it a play-by-forum type of thing?

Like this:

Whenever it was your turn, you received an e-mail, clicked the link and made your move. Games would usually take a few days if not everyone was online at the same time, or it would be similar to a real-time play if that was the case. The interface was very functional and worked perfectly. Also, one could play with the regular map or the specifically drawn "Nile map", which was more suited for 2 players. There were always open games to join, but one could also start their own "private" ones and choose the opponents. I miss so much that feature here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks AWESOME! Wish I'd been around to use it. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked at this game to learn it probably 20 times and just said "Nah...it's not worth all that trouble" and finally am trying to learn it. WOW! This is a great game I do think every gamer should try at least 2 times. I still don't have the rules down 100% as I used the app to teach me and that makes me a bit lazy when it comes to WHY things are happened...but what a fantastic design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.