Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Krylov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia-grad
flag msg tools
mb
Yesterday I play the game for the first time with 3 players. It was nice game, we all like it, but we notice something unbalanced in End Game Conditions.

By the rules game finishing with round in which one of decks is emptied and we can not refill board spaces. But obviously it will be Area deck as there is 3 of 8 actions which deal with areas and that are actions for gaining resources. Without resources you simply cant do another 4 of 8 actions. The only action do not play with resources and areas is Qvestor. So players are forced to play with areas in 7 of 8 actions directly of indirectly (to obtain needed resources). And every second action in area (want it or not)leads to card change, because areas refills immediately , not in refreshment phase as other sections. So area cards dynamic is much more higher if that of other decks.

That is not very good as decks depletes with different speed without connection with players tactics. Player know that if he want to concentrate on Legion of Buildings sets there is enormous chance needed card to not enter in game till the end as Areas will be depleted even before other decks are halved.

Dont take it wrong, we still have nice game, but we finish at 5th turn and literally do not half other decks. And that dynamic lap leads to choosing of similar tactics by players which make game with less variations of tactics.

I think that there must be more area cards or to equalize their refill rule with other decks - refiling in the end of turn in refreshing phase.

We see it as a problem in 3-players game, cant imagine what will happen with 5 players and only 11 more area cards in the deck, if there will be 15 potential action for playing Areas and potentially 6-8 area cards out per turn.

Just share my thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it's most likely that the area cards run out first. But is this really a problem? The second way of ending the game is more or less an "in case of" rule. I can't speak for the author, but I'd say it's meant to end with the "exhaustion of the provinces". This forces the players to create strategies and tactics. You have to decide which cards you buy. If you could buy almost every card, where's the challenge?

Just try to think a little abstract. You have limited resources (e.g. cubes) and stuff to buy to get VPs (e.g. tokens). Would you be worried the same way?

Edit: Typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
mb
FWIW, in a 3 players advanced game, a few days ago, we ran out of military cards.

You can use the Quaestor to get money (and even more when "using" some cards) and then the Mercator to get up to 4 surplus goods cheaply by buying goods worth 1 Denarius (and even more when "using" some cards). This allows you to buy military cards quite easily. Military cards of the same type give you interesting bonuses and can be worth a lot of points when played (with the Propraetor action) at the right time and location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Szőgyi
Hungary
Vác
Pest megye
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lcg74160 wrote:
FWIW, in a 3 players advanced game, a few days ago, we ran out of military cards.

You can use the Quaestor to get money (and even more when "using" some cards) and then the Mercator to get up to 4 surplus goods cheaply by buying goods worth 1 Denarius (and even more when "using" some cards). This allows you to buy military cards quite easily. Military cards of the same type give you interesting bonuses and can be worth a lot of points when played (with the Propraetor action) at the right time and location.

Yes. That is the trick

Also I join to André's response too. Most likely the area cards will run out, but that shouldn't be a problem as those themself are not a main way for getting points. More of the limited time and resource are their purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.