6 Posts

Valley of the Kings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Augs Augson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am interested in getting this game but I'm just wondering if there is a quick game mode since I normally only have 30min sessions(Lunch break), and the game time is about 45mins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game will be quite slow when you are learning it because you need to: A) Read all the cards, and B) Learn how they impact the game.

Once you become comfortable with the rules and card powers, 30 minutes is very doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing this game solitaire or with other players? 30 minutes seems tight for playing solitaire, much less with other players involved (which usually takes longer due to Analysis Paralysis).

As a great starting point, you could try playing only the Level 2 (II) set of cards in the Stock and leave out the Level 3 (III) cards, and then call the end of the game once the Stock runs out of Level 2 cards and time it from the beginning to see how long it takes. Once you start becoming familiar with the cards, 30 minutes becomes do-able, though tense, even with the Level 3 cards in the Stock. In order to make things a little easier, have your cards already broken up into groups, such as your starter cards, the Level 2 cards, and the Level 3 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augs Augson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Like how long per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cromatoast wrote:
Once you become comfortable with the rules and card powers, 30 minutes is very doable.

I will disagree here.

If the OP is looking for a lunch break kind of game, which might also included setting up the game, cleaning up the game and eating then this game won't do.

I know the cards and so does my wife and it still takes more than 30 minutes. I would say 45 minutes for experienced players; 60 when you are still learning the cards.

I do like this game; a lot in fact however 30 minutes for a lunch break just isn't going to do it.

I would recommend Dale of Merchants or Dale of Merchants 2 for a lunch break game that is in this genre of card game and will work within in your time frame with little set up, fast play time and interesting card interactions.

I own and play all of the games above. I have a very slight preference for DoM generally, but here on BGG I rate VoK and DoM the same - in short both are excellent with VoK taking a bit longer to play than DoM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Augs wrote:
I am interested in getting this game but I'm just wondering if there is a quick game mode since I normally only have 30min sessions(Lunch break), and the game time is about 45mins

Augs,

The game length will depend on the analysis paralysis of the players. But here's two ways to speed it up. The first I do for quick demos.

1. After everyone has taken their first turn, add 2 cards from the stock to each player's hand and two cards from the stock to each player's tomb. When the first Level III card comes out, do it again.

If the above is too random for you, try this:

2. Establish a time limit, for example, "The game is over at 12:45." At that time, calculate the score.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.