Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before: I just got the base game and I am playing 2 player. Why would anyone play on a base with more victory points for the second placed player? I am tempted to take these bases out of the game???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - To score alone there
2 - To move your opponent's minions there afterwards and close it in 2nd
3 - To move your minions from there somewhere else later on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh "OssianGrr"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the special text on these bases. Usually there's a good reason for second place getting more VPs, because first place gets a nice bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love about smash up is that it's a game of dirty tricks. I personally love the bases that have less victory points for the winner, as it opens you up for some really fun plays. Move all of their minions there, make it so they can't play minions on another base and have to play there, destroy your own minion at the last minute to score second, the possibilities are endless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
What I love about smash up is that it's a game of dirty tricks. I personally love the bases that have less victory points for the winner, as it opens you up for some really fun plays. Move all of their minions there, make it so they can't play minions on another base and have to play there, destroy your own minion at the last minute to score second, the possibilities are endless.

I also personally enjoy switching out the bases after letting your opponent get a big lead - I think it's the Star Trek faction that allows some of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers, I can see these points in theory, but does this really happen in a two player game? It always seems much more reasonable to try to go for a base where the winner gets more points...

I will keep the bases and see what happens in the next games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Thanks for all the answers, I can see these points in theory, but does this really happen in a two player game? It always seems much more reasonable to try to go for a base where the winner gets more points...

There's your mistake. After seeing you won't win on a base you need to commit elsewhere. Also, the type of strategy you employ depends on both what you and your opponent can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:

Of course it happens in a 2p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin González
msg tools
You use those bases to sit minions you want to keep on the board, like Water Lily, Queen Fluffy, or Secret Agent. The opponent then has to decide if he wants you to keep a permanent advantage on the board, or score themselves and let you get a bigger VP score.

Either that, or you can score it to take advantage of the 1st place effect.

I know you only have the base set, so you are unable to take proper advantage of these bases unless you're playing Ninjas (which, tbh, those bases are theirs.) As you get more expansions, ongoing abilities on minions are worth keeping on the board, and those bases are prime candidates for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWN021 wrote:
You use those bases to sit minions you want to keep on the board, like Water Lily, Queen Fluffy, or Secret Agent. The opponent then has to decide if he wants you to keep a permanent advantage on the board, or score themselves and let you get a bigger VP score.

Either that, or you can score it to take advantage of the 1st place effect.

I know you only have the base set, so you are unable to take proper advantage of these bases unless you're playing Ninjas (which, tbh, those bases are theirs.) As you get more expansions, ongoing abilities on minions are worth keeping on the board, and those bases are prime candidates for that.

That makes sense, thanks for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayden James
msg tools
Yeah just sit your Archmage there and enjoy the double actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.