Zach Greenvoss
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hey everyone,

Looking for some thoughts from people who have played a few rounds into the campaign. My group just got the game and are eager to start - but we are a group of 6-7 people with widely variant schedules. I can likely always get 4-5 to come on any specific week, but there is no guarantee that these are going to be the same 4-5 each time.

All that being said - I am considering allowing the provinces not be "locked" to a specific person in the group. We have even thought of creating 5 "personas" who own the 5 provinces and each game we select one of the "personas" to play that game. i.e. tonight I will play Mary who owns the Green province. I will make all the decisions and long term choices as if I was Mary for the evening - but future games may see me playing another persona. There is even some thought around crafting specific play-styles for these personas (i.e. Mary prefers exploring vs fighting) - but this may be going too far...

Obviously there are some pros/cons with this approach. It accommodates our schedules and flexible player count - but adding a layer of abstraction will inevitably reduce some of the personal investment (i.e. the eventual Emperor will be "Mary," which I helped along a few times, but I am not ultimately solely responsible for). Conversely - this actually appeals to some of the players who are worried about a 14-20 game-long campaign and how intense some of the endgame could get if we are all invested in our individual provinces. This is also very similar to how the Risk Legacy game went down - while some people had favorite factions, each game they were all up for grabs and all the upgrade/long term decisions were made by different people each time.

The real concern I have is if there is any secret information that is supposed to be maintained between games. Based on the initial reading of the (base) rules this does not appear to be an issue - but obviously new rules could change this. Does anyone have any (spoiler-free) insight here?

Anyway - just wanted to share our idea and see if anyone else had any thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The problem I see isn't with the secret information. Changing roles works for Pandemic Legacy because it's a co-op game. You win or lose as a team.

Seafall is not cooperative. At the end of the game when one province "wins", who in your group will actually feel that victory? The person who chose to play them in the last game, even though they might never have played them before? The player who played that province to victory five times previously but is not playing that week? Will anyone at all even really feel they 'won' or will they all feel like spectators with no attachment or investiture in a single province?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without sounding mean here, my first thought is this is a bad idea. Your group is 7 so split into a 3 and 4 to play two campaigns. This will probably get the entire group the most enjoyment from this game. How you decide to break up the group will be the mist difficult thing.

Having said that, creating 5 personas that players would share might work. It would work better if the game was co-op. I would suggest limiting which players can control which personas so that you don't run into players not wanting to play optimally.

Good luck with deciding which way to play. Let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also foresee players wanting more and more to control certain presonas based on how well they're doing in the game. Depending on how agreeable your group is, this might not actually be a problem. Nobody wants to join the losing team though when there is a choice. If you are responsible for that loss, however, you sort of just have to roll with the punches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To piggy back on what Matt S says, from what I hear playing Seafall with 5 players is a big no-no as it REALLY drags between each turn. I hear 3 players is good for people who don't like player to player conflict as much and 4 is the best number to experience the game as a whole. Just split up your group into who might be more on the "casual" side or like faster paced games and just put those 3 on one game, and the last 4 more "hardcore" players on the other.

With 7 players there is no reason why each person can't chip in $20 or whatever to cover the costs of 2 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
To piggy back on what Matt S says, from what I hear playing Seafall with 5 players is a big no-no as it REALLY drags between each turn. I hear 3 players is good for people who don't like player to player conflict as much and 4 is the best number to experience the game as a whole. Just split up your group into who might be more on the "casual" side or like faster paced games and just put those 3 on one game, and the last 4 more "hardcore" players on the other.

With 7 players there is no reason why each person can't chip in $20 or whatever to cover the costs of 2 games.

I'm playing five players anyway. Lot of people on game night wanted to play and I had my heart set on a full player count from the start. Must...play with ALL the toys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Zach - just a thought....How about 4 player games?

In that case, you could play Province A (since you own the game and will probably be playing **every** session), then have the rest of group make two player teams for three of the other provinces:

Zach: Province A
Players 1+2: Province B
Players 3+4: Province C
Players 5+6: Province D
If you have a fifth player show up, they could play Ghost Province E.

This is kind of the way we've been playing Risk: Legacy - except that there are three players each on five teams, and we play if a member of at least four teams show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:

This is kind of the way we've been playing Risk: Legacy - except that there are three players each on five teams, and we play if a member of at least four teams show up.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you: The teams only matter for when the board is signed after each game, right?

Seafall is much, much more player-persistent across games than Risk: Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Which player/team you are in Risk Legacy matters a little bit. If you name a continent, you get +1 armies for holding that continent and nobody else does, for instance.

That said, SeaFall is definitely much more persistent across games. In Risk Legacy, the rules allowed for different sets of people to play in different games. There isn't anything that ties one player to one faction or even to one overarching strategy. In SeaFall, there is.

montebanc wrote:
Zach: Province A
Players 1+2: Province B
Players 3+4: Province C
Players 5+6: Province D
If you have a fifth player show up, they could play Ghost Province E.

The immediate problem I see with this is if schedules aren't perfectly regular then you'd end up with a night where it's Zach + Player 1 + Player 2. Who gets Province B in that case, and how do you keep the other player from sabotaging Province C or D if he gets it? I guess you could assign that player ghost province E in that case.

But then what if it's Zach + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4? Somebody will have to take Province D who doesn't normally own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your concern with my suggestion, and it's definitely a valid one. Of course, if you have players who CAN come REGULARLY, then I wouldn't go with this plan. If, however, some people in my group come regularly and some don't, we've already agreed together that

1) We only gather to play a LEGACY game if at least four teams have representatives present (think I'll go with three for Seafall, though, to keep the game moving). If members of less than four teams can come, we play a different game.

2) If more than one player on a team comes to a session, then they choose which one is going to play that day, and which one will cheer on the other and discuss plans with them. The teams are going to be SET, and once established, I encourage team Leaders to share the playing experience with others on their teams, so that more members of my club can experience playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.