The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » General

Subject: All About Player Boards... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just started getting into CoB, but I have taken the opportunity to grab a copy of the Monnestary Boards, and of course I already own the ones that come with the base game. I also have PDF's of other Boards that I can print out if I'd ever like to.

My question is: Are there any Boards that are not good and/or better than others?

Similarly, are there any Boards that probably shouldn't be used against another specific board in a 2-4 Player game?

Just curious to learn how well balanced the boards are.

Thanks for any insights you all may have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Rieberghs
Belgium
Turnhout
-- Maak uw keuze --
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board number 8-9 from the base game is one (or two) that I can really enjoy. There are a lot of small area's which can give you a lot of bonus points when you complete them early in the game.
Each board has it specialties and you can win with every board, you just gotta maximize your chances and use your dice the most efficient way !!

One of the best games ever in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
The board with large areas of buildings are hard to fill if only a 2-player game, since each building in them must be different. Fewer buildings come out, so a risk you'll never see enough different ones. Even if you do, your opponent will (or should) make sure you cannot complete that 7 or 8 space building area.

With 3-4 players more tiles are out and so a better chance to get the right mix of buildings. Another important thing is, that players look more out for their own interests in 3 and 4-player games (general for all games, but important for being able to complete the big areas).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is an exhaustive analysis of base game player board effects, based on thousands of online game stats here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/983959/stats-avg-points-win...

Tldr:
#8 is super powerful

#4 is very weak

So 8 and 4 should not be used.

The others have variable effects, but it looks like there are three middle tiers, so they should be selected carefully to balance out (1&9, 6&7, 2,3&5), or just have all players use #1s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
The others have variable effects, but it looks like there are three middle tiers, so they should be selected carefully to balance out (1&9, 6&7, 2,3&5), or just have all players use #1s.

Not a bad suggestion, I would just go further. If the OP is willing to print their own copies of boards you can just make duplicates of certain boards and have everyone play the same one.

For example #8 is well known for being overpowered but that becomes moot if everyone plays with #8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
There is an exhaustive analysis of base game player board effects, based on thousands of online game stats here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/983959/stats-avg-points-win...

Tldr:
#8 is super powerful

#4 is very weak

So 8 and 4 should not be used.

Thanks...that's very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.