Subject: The great spanish deception 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Bensdorp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

After the previous topic, advice, I decided to keep a session report. I'm playing against my dad, who has 25 years of experience in this game. This is our 5th game in a short time, we play 3/4 days a week so session reports will be almost daily.

Rules: simpel oil, 1 die roll combat, most expansions and optionals.

The game started with a slow invasion of Poland, warsaw only fell in late december. The germans planned on a sealion and then the russians attacked Persia. Japan alligned it and decleared war on the USSR. The chinese commies had been fought to near extermination with only a last minute capture of cheng tu saving them. So japan let the nationalist keep their land and turned to Siberia.

The germans had not yet moved their troops to the west and in mar/april 1940 barbarossa started. Belgium remained neutral and the french saw ww1 being fought all over again.

Denmark had fallen quite early as usual. Barbarossa took kiev which allowed for the creation of the Ukrain in early 1940. 15 bp instead on an offchit (latest rule change) which annoyed me but was worth it. The russians lost 7 factories on the europe map. Kiev was railed out on time but vitebsk was not. Head quarters where always scarce but it worked. The winter saw the capture of rostov and in may/june turkey was alligned. Bock would receive evry possible medal for this achievement. The first time turkey was alligned in our 5 games.

What about Italy? They stayed neutral till may/june 1941. The CW was moving his corps from gibralter to egypt to counter the turkish threat (syria had fallen almost immideatly to the turks). Another corps was coming from england but was still at see. Only a 2 engineer div was defending gibralter.

This was a once in a game opportunity however only a div was available for invasion. 1 +1 shore bombardment vs 2×2 1/2 no plusses a 10 was needed and a 10 was rolled. Laughter, cursing, unbelief followed each other and the allies thought about throwing in the towl. Usa far from joining russia in the ropes and the west front was nowere near collapsing. Then the turn ended on a 2 without a chance for the axis to allign spain. +1 initiative for the axis. Allies won both the first as the reroll and a marine and division where thrown at gibraltar. Repacturing it, the spanish looked at it and went back in the box.

That was the start of a very bad turn. A classical stalingrad happend with the germans loosing a very good armour and the 5-2 art out of supply. 4 or 5 guard banners appeard in this turn and 2 other corpses where ready to be slaughterd next turn.

I lost around 50bp with the germans alone that turn together with the spanish deception made it the worst turn ever in wif for me. 4 attacks made by me 3 times a 1 and a 4.

We took a brake and frustration settled down a bit. September saw a decleration of war on greece. 1 turkish corps took a hex near istanbul and bulgaria was alligned next impulse (bessarabia was never claimed so this was needed for alligning Bulgaria). With a railroad from berlin to jeruzalem 4 corpses militia mostly were railed.

This is where we are now.

Some pictures of the board at the start of nov/dec 1941.

West front: belgium is axis alligned, Netherlands neutral.

East front:

The middle east:

Persia: japan and russia have a defensive pact from sep/oc 1940 after USSR forced peace after loosing vladivodstok.

Asia:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good luck! I think it is difficult , due to lack of troops to attack Ru so early and you may be beginning to encounter that with the arrival of the Guards. With Gibraltar the situation would be different, harder access to med for UK, Turkey assisting to push to suez, but even with some Tu troops at the back door the north is going to be hard to push and the hordes are coming.

At some point Fr /UK can start to attrition on the west front to add more pain (especially since it is likely the u boat war will not be as well as usual given lack of French ports)

let us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael K.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hoe, hoe, hee, hee!!? Zo werkt dat niet!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! Really enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tell people all of the time - NEVER ALLOW GIBRALTAR TO FALL IN THIS WAY. If Germany is coming through Spain or Morocco it is a different story, but don't allow a 1 in 10 invasion! Always have 2 units there, indeed you should put 3 often.

Although 1 in 10 seems 'lucky', the success of a 1 in 10 invasion is worth substantially more than 10 times the Italian loss in the 9/10ths failed invasion, it is a no-brainier from an expected value standpoint.

Thanks for the great report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.