Subject: 7 People. 8 Hours. No new games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a party. Not in a position to acquire new games. Just what is in my collection now. All are decent board gamers. All can handle at least space alert level complexity (they all have played that game before).

Trouble is, only games I have that can accomodate 7 at a time are

The resistance: wont work since 1 player objects to lying even as part of a game.

Codenames: decent game but probably want more than just this for 8 hours.

Midnight Party: neat kids game, but probably not enough to hold their attentions.

Magic Realm: unless this turns (by consensus) into a Magic Realm learning day, not gonna happen. Maybe 1 or 2 could learn the basics on their own by then.

Smash up: can accomodate this many, but could be a little ridiculous.

I imagine we'll play codenames, then break into 4p/3p games or 5p/2p games.

Any suggestions or high player count variations on games I have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here is a variant.

Take any 2 games you own and place them on separate tables. Split into a team of three and a team of 4. Then switch and play the other game. Add up scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend splitting up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone won't show up at the same time. Play Coup/Love Letter at 3-4 until 6 people arrive.

Find a game that one other player is confident enough to teach. Have them take 3 people. You take 3 (or 4 if the latecomer has arrived by now). Teach/play a separate game.

Filler with something like Coup/Love Letter until the other table is finished.

Play Codenames if you like.

Split up into 2 more groups again if possible.

Give up on 6+ player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
All are decent board gamers.
Any potential games others can bring? I agree with the others here that you will likely need to split, but worth looking to see what games your guests have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to fit 7 into Talisman and Zombies!!! without much trouble. Downtime could be lengthy, tho.

If they're light wargamers, you could play Risk and let the 7th player use the zombie figures from Zombies!!! zombie

You could always go old school and break out the playing cards and poker chips.

But yeah, a mix of short party games and split-up small group games is probably the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
...you could play Risk and let the 7th player use the zombie figures from Zombies!!! zombie

You just renewed my interest in Risk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
lifelesspoet wrote:
here is a variant.

Take any 2 games you own and place them on separate tables. Split into a team of three and a team of 4. Then switch and play the other game. Add up scores.

7 is a bad number, you still feel like you should stay in one game, but there are so few good games at seven and above no mater how many games you own.

But, you really will be better served spouting into a three and four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about Talisman after I posted the question. Takes forever with lots of people, but could be fun anyway.

Hadnt thought of zombies!!! yet, and I have expansions for bigger map, and up to * players. Definitely possible.

Downtime shouldn't be a big issue. Primarily social gathering. Video games will also be played.

Splitting up is certainly likely, and some will sit out some games. Just wanted to see if I was missing good group play possibilities.

As for others bringing games, one couple has a moderate collection, but no "good" games that can accomodate seven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Everyone won't show up at the same time. Play Coup/Love Letter at 3-4 until 6 people arrive.

Find a game that one other player is confident enough to teach. Have them take 3 people. You take 3 (or 4 if the latecomer has arrived by now). Teach/play a separate game.

Give up on 7+ player games.

FTFY devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
7 is a bad number, you still feel like you should stay in one game, but there are so few good games at seven and above no mater how many games you own.

5 is worse. There are a bunch of games that support 5. But awful at that count. So you split into 3 and 2. Then the 2 player group realizes they could have just stayed home to play the 2 player game. Then you all get together to play a 5 player game anyway because of that. Then everyone is sick of that game as it over stays its welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
The resistance: wont work since 1 player objects to lying even as part of a game.

This deserves more scrutiny, if only for general disucssion. I don't even care one way or another about the resistance, but what is the mindset of the person who believes this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
darthnice wrote:

FTFY devil

No. You broke it. It was 6+ for a reason. The reason is that stupid latecomer. They always screw things up. Then someone else leaves early. 6+ games are generally terrible, with a few notable exceptions. But if you insist on playing exclusively 6+ player games, you are limited to the small set of good games at 6+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 is great for me

Wallenstein

Spyrium

Grimoire

Space Alert

Galaxy Defenders

Some of my very favorites play best at 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomicteaspoon wrote:
Quantum_Jack wrote:

This deserves more scrutiny, if only for general disucssion. I don't even care one way or another about the resistance, but what is the mindset of the person who believes this?

I have a friend who just gets really uncomfortable doing it. They don't like the feeling it gives them and I'm not going to force them to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Fake Artist Goes to New York and Eat Poop You Cat can be played with paper and colored pens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Then the 2 player group realizes they could have just stayed home to play the 2 player game.

But that's assuming that the 2 player group lives in the same home. Which is very often not the case, in my experience of 2 player groups in a situation like this with multiple games going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

5 is worse. There are a bunch of games that support 5. But awful at that count. So you split into 3 and 2. Then the 2 player group realizes they could have just stayed home to play the 2 player game. Then you all get together to play a 5 player game anyway because of that. Then everyone is sick of that game as it over stays its welcome.

5 is our groups favorite player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
It Wasn't Me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
darthnice wrote:

FTFY devil

No. You broke it. It was 6+ for a reason. The reason is that stupid latecomer. They always screw things up. Then someone else leaves early. 6+ games are generally terrible, with a few notable exceptions. But if you insist on playing exclusively 6+ player games, you are limited to the small set of good games at 6+.

Imperial, Imperial 2020, Mall of Horror, Ca$h 'n Guns, BSG, Last Night on Earth, Antike, Colonia, Hart an der Grenze, Master Thieves, Speculation, autoscooter, leaving out some 'fillers'

Better at 5 but I'm at 6 Game of Thrones, Bootleggers, Galactic Emperor, Nuclear War, Dominant Species, Chicken Caesar, Black Vienna, Jet Set, and Breaking Away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
5 is great for me

Wallenstein

Spyrium

Grimoire

Space Alert

Galaxy Defenders

Some of my very favorites play best at 5.

You forgot El Grande ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
darthnice wrote:
Then the 2 player group realizes they could have just stayed home to play the 2 player game.

But that's assuming that the 2 player group lives in the same home. Which is very often not the case, in my experience of 2 player groups in a situation like this with multiple games going on.

Yeah, getting two people stuck in a two player games just sucks the fun out of a gaming night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But back to the OP, if the gaming is secondary like it sounds like. Just bring out a few 4 and 5 player fillers and cycle people in and out when they arent playing video games or focusing in socializing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and all of its expansions can support 7-8 people. The game would easily last 6 hours though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Yeah, getting two people stuck in a two player games just sucks the fun out of a gaming night.

It sure doesn't in my experience. I've been at many gaming nights with multiple games going on simultaneously, some of which were 2-player, and everyone enjoyed the gaming night.

It sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy: if people think it's awful to play 2-player games, then they won't enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.