Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have resisted allowing videogames into my house (the occassional PC game excepted) for years. My three (6-8-11) deprived children seem to manage pretty well on books, boardgames, and reasonably limited TV time. But . . . we are all flying to London soon, and it struck me that having one handheld videogame system for the boys (6-8) to share would be a welcome distraction. Soooo . . . since I have kept myself deliberately ignorant on the topic for so long I am in need of some sage advice. Any pointers regarding: (1) the best units, and (2) good games that go with them that won't offend my wife's sensibilities? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure you'll have no problem deciding which system (if any) to buy, but I can't help but think that the biggest "distraction" you're opening yourself to here is all the squabbling over which child gets to use the system when. Good luck with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Favocci
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am PSP fan myself, but for your situation I would recomend a Nintendo DS.
Here are a list of good kid friendly games:

Mario Kart
Yoshi's Island
Nintendogs
New Super Mario Bros
Clubhouse Games
WarioWare
Big Brain Academy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBoy Advance SP is a good one for long flights, because you get about 10 hours of play out of one charge of the battery. They're cheap now, too, and play all the older GameBoy games (but not the newer DS games). One downside is that it doesn't have a headphone jack.

Gamewise I'd suggest Advance Wars (a turn-based wargame with anime characters, cartoon tanks etc), Rebelstar Tactics (an XCOM game), the many and various Pokemon carts, Sonic, Mario, et al.

If you have more money get a DS Lite with Clubhouse Games (a board / card game compendium), Trauma Centre, etc. It can play all the GBA games listed above too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacBeth wrote:
I am PSP fan myself, but for your situation I would recomend a Nintendo DS.
Here are a list of good kid friendly games:

Mario Kart
Yoshi's Island
Nintendogs
New Super Mario Bros
Clubhouse Games
WarioWare
Big Brain Academy

good suggestions. but I would add Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. Those games will keep anyone distracted for hours. Nintendogs tend to get boring after a while.

And DS lite is much better choice especially for kids (or even adults) But they will be fighting over it, buy 3!(or at least 2). VS games on DS are good with single cart game sharing or competitive play for games like Mario Kart and Big brain academy. Oh ya and tetris is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you play Animal Crossing continuously on a flight, or do you have to do the checking in every day thing, like the GameCube version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For kids that age, I would suggest pokemon, in any flavor. Its very popular in that age range and it is a traditional RPG style that is very innocent and clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys.

A couple of questions since I am a videogame ignoramus:
(1) What is Nintendos DS versus DS Lite?
(2) What are "VS" games?

Unsolicited advice on siblings fighting over games (and other stuff).
It's a very minor (I won't say non-existent) problem in my household because of the following practice (originally instituted for the PC but now broadly applied):
Everyone gets 20 minute turns.
I don't care what order - the kids sort this out on their own.
If a squabble bubbles up I immediately inform them to work it out, or the item in dispute is put away/turned off for the day.
I do not involve myself in the mediation in any way.
I always make good on the threat when necessary - there is none of that second, third, fourth, ad nauseum, chance malarky.
I've been doing this for years now, and the kids know I am not fooling around.
As a result fights rarely arise, and when they do, they are resolved in 1 minute or less.
It works. Really. You just have to be consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A DS is the same as the DS Lite except that the DS lite is better quality, longer battery life, and from what I heard, the regular DS burns out after about a year. You cannot find a new DS at all anymore, just DS Lites.

VS in this context means player verses player, aka multiplayer. With the DS, you can do download play, sharing one game with other DS/DS Lites in range.

From my understanding, are you just going to buy one handheld and have the kids share it or give them one each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Can you play Animal Crossing continuously on a flight, or do you have to do the checking in every day thing, like the GameCube version?

well you can stop anytime. i never played the cube version so I am not sure. But of course I wouldn't play any single game for the whole duration of a flight, that's why I always bring my whole selection of games in a little pouch so I can have variety. But I thought Animal crossing is cute, and it's good to keep you occupied. but I have to say Harvest moon is in a way better, and it is not real time (unlike animal crossing) so there are more to do and you can accomplish more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjpomeroy wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.

A couple of questions since I am a videogame ignoramus:
(1) What is Nintendos DS versus DS Lite?
(2) What are "VS" games?

Unsolicited advice on siblings fighting over games (and other stuff).
It's a very minor (I won't say non-existent) problem in my household because of the following practice (originally instituted for the PC but now broadly applied):
Everyone gets 20 minute turns.
I don't care what order - the kids sort this out on their own.
If a squabble bubbles up I immediately inform them to work it out, or the item in dispute is put away/turned off for the day.
I do not involve myself in the mediation in any way.
I always make good on the threat when necessary - there is none of that second, third, fourth, ad nauseum, chance malarky.
I've been doing this for years now, and the kids know I am not fooling around.
As a result fights rarely arise, and when they do, they are resolved in 1 minute or less.
It works. Really. You just have to be consistent.

Glad to know your kids won't fight over it. Of course buy 1 handheld more and see if they like it, and who knows maybe even you might like it. and if you want you can get another one later so they can play the verses games(multiplayer).

My husband and I each have one, and we play our own stuff on it. And Mario Kart is more fun with real opponents! =) But anyway, I think DS lite is a good choice, it is cheaper than PSP, games are cheaper, and quality is superb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kittyangel. DS Lite sounds like a good fit for me. One of the reasons I have fought the videogame incursion for so long is that I know I will like it. Back in the day (pre-kids) I could easily play Duke Nukem past 1:00 AM. I need to avoid that sort of thing these days, but I am weak willed. OK - nevermind all the happy-happy games, is there anything fun where I get to shoot things and blow stuff up? I promise to hide it from the children. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to keep in mind. I am not an expert on these (the kids are). On games that take more than one session (and 20 minutes would be a short session), the game is actually stored on the cartridge. So if you pick only one game and plan for them to share it, make sure it's a game that will not have to be saved between sessions.

(My other recommendation would be stick to your initial reaction and don't get one.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, the wireless functions on the DS are taboo on airplanes. But the handheld itself is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjpomeroy wrote:
Thanks Kittyangel. DS Lite sounds like a good fit for me. One of the reasons I have fought the videogame incursion for so long is that I know I will like it. Back in the day (pre-kids) I could easily play Duke Nukem past 1:00 AM. I need to avoid that sort of thing these days, but I am weak willed. OK - nevermind all the happy-happy games, is there anything fun where I get to shoot things and blow stuff up? I promise to hide it from the children. Thanks again.

Well I am a pretty weak willed person too, but I am handling it alright. We have both DS and Wii and we play them sometimes, never really so into it that we forgot to sleep or go to work. =)

well nintendo don't have those ultra violent games, so I am not sure...there is that light gun game Point Blank, and also Resident Evil. There will be another light gun-ish game called Touch The Dead. Other than that I can't recall. I think some gameboy games have shooting like Gunstar heros, contra type games.
Oh another good shooter is Nanostray for DS. (some people like Star Fox DS, but I think nanostray is a better shooter, it's arcade style).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the adult Nintendo DS player, get Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. That is the most recent one. Also consider Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -Justice For All-.

Some General Comments:

I applaud you 20 minute time limit sharing thing, but please remember some games use 'save' spots instead of direct action saves. That is, you have to move your character from where it is, to the place where the save spot is in order to save the game. If you don't do this, and turn the game off all your game progress would be lost. Some games have a suspend system, (ie makes a temporary save immediatly) that would work if the new player wanted to play with a different game cartrage.

I was going to strongly suggest that you get two DS lites, because multiplayer games is so much fun. But if you are barred from using the Wifi on the plane, then don't do it.

And also remember, that even though the DS lite does play Gameboy advance games, it does NOT allow you to play multiplayer gameboy Advance games.

oh, and do consider Advance Wars: Duel Strike for the DS Lite.

Oh, and also, my Daughter (12) just picked up Sims 2 for the DS lite and is loving it. Which I find deplorable, but she is happy with it. You do get to 'tip' cows in it!

P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: EWWW. appearently you cannot play GBA games multiplayer with DSs. BOO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
why dont you just save a bit of money, time and effort. Buy a few pocket gameboys and alot of cheap games from ebay and youll be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario Kart Circut. The DS version has a few of their courses, but not all. Pokemon is another one. You can't transfer from DS to GBA or GBA to GBA via DS. There are a few more I think. I just need a bit more time to figure out which ones aren't really upgraded and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all of you helpful and knowledgeable geeks.
I went ahead and ordered the Nintendo DS Lite with Animal Crossing, Yoshi's Island, and New Super Mario Bros.
Just one unit for now, maybe another during the Holidays if it seems advisable at that time.
I'll lighten up on the 20 minute rule (I can be flexible, really) to accomodate "save" issues.
One last question regarding the multi-player thing:
Am I correct in assuming that if you want to do the multi-player thing you need a copy of the game for each unit you are playing on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for being "flexable"! I have seen parents make the kid turn the machine off Right Now! without allowing the kid to save. I'm all for moderation in all things, but I'm also for respect. Have you ever seen a kid standing first-in-line and the worker serve the adult standing behind the kid? GRRRR /editorial off.

Back on topic:

Some DS games are multiplayer with just one cart and some require two carts to play. And some have 1 cart and 2 cart multiplayer both.

For example. Elite beats has single cart multiplayer were you can play only a few of the songs. AND it has multicart multiplayer where you can play all the songs together.

There are icons on the game boxes that indicate what type of multiplayer (if any) it has:

Icon (1 dslite with dark screen 1 dslight with light screen) says: Wireless DS Single-Card Download Play. This would mean multiplayer with on game in one of the DS lite's.

Icon (2 dslite's both with dark screen) says: Wireless DS Mulit-Card Play. This would mean that all the DS Lights playing would have to have a game cart.

Just check on the box before you purchase.

P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else you may want to consider for you two young ones, for less then the price of one used DS(around $100.00), you can get two MICRO GBA (used for $40.00 each). There are hundreds of game for GBA units, some pretty decent games too.
They are soo small, I keep one around to play war games when shopping with the wife. I am hooked on Advance War 2 right now.
Only thing is it does not have wireless, and so requires a Micro GBA multiplayer cable to play linked games.

Another option you may want to consider is a Polaroid DVD player. In addition to playing movies, some models also includes build in games. Granted, they are SNES quality games but it expands your purchase to something the whole family can use. I have 2 extra battery for my DVD player and each battery will run 3-4 hours of movies. You will need head phones as it will be too noisy to hear on the road.

-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidchujr wrote:

Only thing is it does not have wireless, and so requires a Micro GBA multiplayer cable to play linked games.

And this type of connection for multiplayer might be allowed on an aeroplane?????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
davidchujr wrote:

And this type of connection for multiplayer might be allowed on an aeroplane?????

Since its not wireless, it wont be a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjpomeroy wrote:
Thank you all of you helpful and knowledgeable geeks.
I went ahead and ordered the Nintendo DS Lite with Animal Crossing, Yoshi's Island, and New Super Mario Bros.
Just one unit for now, maybe another during the Holidays if it seems advisable at that time.
I'll lighten up on the 20 minute rule (I can be flexible, really) to accomodate "save" issues.
One last question regarding the multi-player thing:
Am I correct in assuming that if you want to do the multi-player thing you need a copy of the game for each unit you are playing on?

Good choice! There is no reason to save few bucks and buying absolete systems. DS is definitely what is hot now and will be for quite a while.

Regarding the multiplayer thing, here I will give you some examples:

1. Mario Kart- you can use just ONE game and both can play competitively. But the disadvantage of that is one player (the one whose sys dosen't have the game) is stuck playing as Shy Guy and have no choice of karts and characters. Now is you have 2 Mario Karts, like we do, you can choose any character available on your own game, and any kart you wish. So to sacrifice choices you can play Mario Kart with only 1 copay of the game.

2. Tetris or Big Brain Academy - you only need 1 game and everyone gets the full version of the game to play in vs mode. There is no need to buy an extra copy (unless more than one person wants to play by themselves).

3. Castlevania - excellent platform game with beautiful graphics and music. basically a solataire game, very limited multiplayer interaction at all, and it's not really used anyway.

4. Animal Crossing - Now this game you HAVE to have your own copy to share anything. Either it's local or through wifi, when you visit other people's towns etc. you have to have the game yourself. I mean it's kinda like your own town, you can't mootch off of someone else's right?

So I hope you and your kids will enjoy the DS, I am sure they will! =) feel free to ask me or others which game is multiplayer, or other functionality questions before you purchase. I have just about all the games. (not including crappy games like spongeboob or Bratz etc=p )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.