Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Thunder Alley» Forums » General

Subject: Bubba? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Thunder Alley carries the type "Thematic" while Grand Prix does not. Frankly, the game is very Euroish so I think Grand Prix is more properly defined with no type assigned to it.

Given that these games are so similar and actually run on the same boards, can anybody give me a reason this game was put into the "Thematic" category? I can only think of one reason, best summed up by the word "Bubba".

Not the most important question you'll ponder today, but as a guy that sports the Ameritrash badge I wonder if this very calculating game got put in the "Thematic" bucket because it looks more comfortable next to a Bud Light than a Cabernet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one possible answer would be that, for me (and, I suspect, many others), Thunder Alley feels A HELL OF A LOT like NASCAR racing. I own many racing games, and no other feels "like the real thing" as much as Thunder Alley does.

So I don't have a problem with it being called "thematic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Well, one possible answer would be that, for me (and, I suspect, many others), Thunder Alley feels A HELL OF A LOT like NASCAR racing. I own many racing games, and no other feels "like the real thing" as much as Thunder Alley does.

So I don't have a problem with it being called "thematic."

Ditto. It feels like a NASCAR race. I've tried more detailed simulations and they just don't have the right feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

So successful execution of theme is sufficient for a game to be put into the "thematic" category? Sounds like a stupid question, but it's worth asking. It becomes a certification instead of a category.

That may not be a bad way to look at it.

How about Grand Prix? Does it feel like Grand Prix racing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit, but not as much as one might have wished for.

I discuss this in my review, if you're curious:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1648113/one-goes-eleven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feels like Grand Prix racing to me. It doesn't have the detail of Speed Circuit (or its successor, Championship Formula Racing) but it's not bad for a quick run, and allows play by only two. Playing Speed Circuit with 2 is no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Not the most important question you'll ponder today, but as a guy that sports the Ameritrash badge I wonder if this very calculating game got put in the "Thematic" bucket because it looks more comfortable next to a Bud Light than a Cabernet.

What happened to your badge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Safely tucked away where no one can steal it. They've become quite valuable over the last few years, after a decade of people shunning them.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.