Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found this BGA screencap from last year on my desktop. Past-me blanked the opponent's name, so I must have meant to post it as a puzzle, but as far as I can tell, I never did.

So! Highland triggers endgame, then Everfrost jumps to an 11-8 lead with Time Elemental. Can Highland win with her last turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, lots of red herrings.

Let's try :
Spoiler (click to reveal)
War Summoner, then Mountain Troll, place and finally summon Werewolf on green square to destroy 2 heroic pieces and grab that Heroic Destruction.
Scores are tied, piece advantage grants you victory.

Correct ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see that solution! Very nice.

As it turns out, there are at least two answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb

War summonor upside down below the top red space for an extra action and the option of using a white piece as mine.
Summon troll between the two white common pieces on the right, using the white legendary as part of the pattern. Destroy two common white pieces and gain an action.
Place common piece next to top red space.
Summon werewolf on green space.
Eat two upgraded pieces.
Net 3 points, win for having more upgraded pieces on the board.

Or (I think, it's late and I'm tired):

Summon mountain troll over upgraded piece on green square, top left.
Summon war summoner upside down under red square at top. Gain an action.
Summon fire elemental using white common piece, top right, so it appears over the white legend piece.
Destroy the adjacent pieces.
Score 3 points for heroic devastation, and the change in legendary pieces wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, your second solution works too. Apparently there are at least three methods! whistle

For what it's worth, the one I found uses fewer summonings. Interesting that there are so many dead ends and so many right answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun puzzle! I got the same answer as Quinarbre and RedMonkeyBoy's first solution; nice second solution from RedMonkeyBoy too. Shall have to look for a third one tomorrow. So you're saying you can achieve a win in only two summons? (Or indeed 1, although that seems unlikely!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I think I found yet a third solution, which is probably also not the one grasa_total is thinking of:
Summon the Werewolf at d4, stomping the Everfrost hero. Standard move it to c5.
Using that, summon the War Summoner at c7, stomping another Everfrost hero (and claiming the green square, which turns out not to matter.) Gain an action and the right to use an Everfrost piece.
Summon the Mountain Troll at g6, using the Everfrost legend. Destroy the two Everfrost commons nearby. (This scores Heroic Devastation). Gain another action
Place a piece, anywhere. Or for bonus style, summon the Fire Elemental at e8 (accomplishing nothing), or the Eldest Tree at d6 (placing one more common at d5).
Heroic Devastation brings it to 11-11 and Highland wins the tiebreaker.

The solution I was looking for was RedMonkeyBoy's second solution, which wins outright instead of relying on the tie breaker, but I was doing it in the wrong order, so I couldn't find a way to make it work. I was also trying to find a solution which involved
summoning the Fire Elemental at a5 to claim Green Legends
but I couldn't make that work either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
So you're saying you can achieve a win in only two summons? (Or indeed 1, although that seems unlikely!)

Yes! It can be done in fewer than 3 summons. I agree that doing it in 1 seems unlikely but at this point you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit: I was too late...

you could also...

Summon Mountain Troll on top left green square (1 Heroic detroyed), then summon war summoner for. Use the extra action to summon Fire elemental on central square, using the white common piece, top right (1 H and 1L destoyed). Destroy the 2 adjacent heroic with the Fire Elemental (3H and 1L detroyed). Claim Heroic devastation, ending the game in a win 12-10

Man having that very last turn, is so powerful!!
Great little puzzle thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agner wrote:
Summon Mountain Troll on top left green square (1 Heroic detroyed), then summon war summoner for. Use the extra action to summon Fire elemental on central square, using the white common piece, top right (1 H and 1L destoyed). Destroy the 2 adjacent heroic with the Fire Elemental (3H and 1L detroyed). Claim Heroic devastation, ending the game in a win 12-10

It's actually only 11-10 because Highland is out of legendary pieces, so you have to remove one to summon the Fire Elemental. It doesn't matter which of the Fire Elemental's powers you use either; the other power destroys 3 commons, which is plenty to claim Heroic Devastation. But I agree that destroying the two heroes is far more satisfying.

I'm still curious about grasa_total's intended solution.
I just can't see a way to do it without abusing the extra actions from War Summoner and/or Mountain Troll to summon more things to smash more Everfrost pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
two summons:

place a common piece below green square on top left.
Summon war summoner over white upgraded piece.
Summon wolf on empty red square.
Eat three pieces.
Win the tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
two summons:

place a common piece below green square on top left.
Summon war summoner over white upgraded piece.
Summon wolf on empty red square.
Eat three pieces.
Win the tie.

That's the one I had in mind. Thanks for playing, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom line :
- always aim to trigger endgame
- no point swing is too big to catch up
- play turn-based so that your opponent doesn't fall asleep while you overthink your last turn (and so they get really mad when they receive that email telling them you deprived them of their failsafe win) laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmo Smith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
One summon solution?

Place a common piece to the right of white hero. Summon mountain troll between two white common pieces, destroy both. You still have an action left but you could end there if I'm interpreting tiebreakers correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosmolsmith wrote:
One summon solution?

Place a common piece to the right of white hero. Summon mountain troll between two white common pieces, destroy both. You still have an action left but you could end there if I'm interpreting tiebreakers correctly?

But you haven't scored any points at that stage, so you are trailing 11-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a slightly overkill murder solution
war summoner in the obvious place, fire elemental in the centre, mountain troll between the two commons to kill them, then gloat on the 4th action cause you already won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
I found a slightly overkill murder solution
war summoner in the obvious place, fire elemental in the centre, mountain troll between the two commons to kill them, then gloat on the 4th action cause you already won.

I don't think you can summon Fire Elemental there-- both of the corners are white pieces. You need to get a Highland piece onto c7 or g7 to war-summon the Fire Elemental onto the center space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.