Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
I always liked the concept of an immortal hero, which just is not done in comics. As a team leader, I feel that an immortal would be better and unique than the boy scout type, advanced alien, time traveler, smart guy, or rich guy like so many other teams go with. I felt a person who has been around and seen the terrible things that happen and decides to make a difference. Thaun is developed to be a tank and support hero which will show his commitment to the protection of his team as well as their teachings. He will also have some damage as he is a warrior and has trained with many others over the ages.

*Bio
Thaun lived 3500yrs ago, in a time when humanity was starting to build civilization. He and his mate fought together in tribal conflicts of the time. Hurt and looking for shelter, they stumbled into a temple of a deity they had not heard of. His wife begged the deity to save them and she would pay any price. The deity answered and gave them more than they could ever hope for. He gave them immortality. They would quickly heal from any wound, be immune from the touch of time, resist any poison or toxin. All this came at a heavy cost. Valura was tainted by the deity, making her full of hate for her mate and for mankind, who she blamed is the cause for this curse. She left Thaun shortly after. Thaun saw little of his wife and wandered the world through the ages, learning from great people where he could.

Thaun witnessed evil throughout the ages and he decided after centuries of seeing evil grow, it was time to do something about it. Thaun watched the rise of heroes, but also the rise of villains and with their battles, the destruction. He knew he had to try and do something so he set out to make a team of new heroes, ones he would instruct on how best to use their gifts and control them so they did not destroy this world while trying to protect it. He would start his team.

Hero: Thaun
HP: 27
Base Power: Advice
-One player may draw 2 cards

Incapacitated
-One player may draw a card
-Next time target villain would take damage, increase that damage by 1.

Ongoing, Limited, Memory (Qty:16)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Studied under Sun Tzu (Qty:3)
-The first time a hero deals damage on their turn, increase that damage by 1.
-At the start of your turn, destroy this card

Trained with Leonidas (Qty:3)
-The first time each turn a hero is dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1.
-At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Lectured by Plato (Qty:3)
-At the start of each hero's turn, they may draw a card

Fought under Julius Caesar (Qty:2)
-When an environment card is put into play, you may destroy another environment card in play. If you do, destroy this card.

Lived with Cherokee (Qty:3)
-At the start of each players turn, they regain 2 HP.

Enlightened by Buddha (Qty:2)
-Each other player may use an additional power during their power phase.

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:9)
Nostalgia (Qty:2)
-When a memory card is destroyed, you may draw 1 card

Perseverance (Qty:2)
-When Thaun's HP reaches 0 or lower, you may discard 2 memory cards. If you do, regain 10 HP and destroy this card.

Taking the Brunt (Qty:3)
-All damage dealt to heroes is redirected to Thaun.
-Power: Regain 4 HP and destroy this card.

Unscarred Flesh (Qty:2)
-At the start of your turn, regain 2 HP

One-Shot (Qty:13)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge of the Ages (Qty:4)
-Search your deck and discard pile for a memory card and put it into play.
-If you have searched your deck, shuffle it.

Anger over the Ages (Qty:3)
-Shuffle up to 4 memory cards from your trash into your deck.
-Thaun deals a target X melee damage, where X is equal to the amount of memory cards shuffled into your deck.

Flashback (Qty:4)
-Put a memory card from your trash into play.

Mortal Scum (Qty:2)
-Thaun deals 3 melee damage to a target. If that target is destroyed by this card, Thaun regains 4 HP.

Equipment, Limited (Qty:2)
Ancient Sword (Qty:2)
-Reduce Melee, Projectile, Lightning, and Energy damage dealt to Thaun by 1.
-Power: Deal 2 melee damage to a target. Discard the top card of the villain deck.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated. This is the Sixth hero of the series I am creating. My artist is pretty busy so no art yet. Always looking for a new artist if anyone is interested.

Also, I am at a dead end to coming up with a name of a team of younger heroes. My wife says Next Gen and Gen H sound terrible.

(Edit Notes)
-Altered Nostalgia's effect
-Altered Memory mechanic to be more unique
-Replaced Strategic Tactician with Anger of the Ages
-Reduced Quantity of Undying Body by 1
-Removed Living in the Now
-Added Old Fashioned
-Removed Deagle
-Reduced Quantity of Fought Under Julius Caeser
-Increased HP regained on Unscarred Flesh by 1
-Added condition of Undying Body
-Renamed Undying Body to Perseverance to fit with new ability to show character refuses to go down.
-Reduce Quantity of Enlightened by Buddhist Monks
-Fixed wording on cards to be more clear and fit the normal wording in SOTM.
-Reworked Ancient Blade
-Replaced Old Fashioned with Flashback
-Increased draw on Base power
-Adjusted Anger Over the Ages
-Reworking Memory cards
-Reworked Ancient Blade a little more.
-Added Mortal Scum
-Fixed Quantity numbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I like most of your decks so far, but this one is a bit of a miss for me. The concept for the character is cool, and lots of the individual card names get me excited, but the actual effects are all pretty uninspiring. Functional, sure, but doesn't do anything a bunch of other heroes don't already do to more or less the same degree.

For example, studied under Sun-Tzu is a slightly complex deal 3 damage, Lectured by Plato is like Bolster Allies, only worse. Nostalgia is just pretty weak - even if you play a memory each and every turn 1HP a go is quite underwhelming - Unscarred flesh is better, and unscarred flesh isn't great. Undying Body is good, but it's obviously just Fanatic's Aegis. Living in the Now... moves a memory to the bottom of your deck, which has no obvious advantages or disadvantages (nothing he has cares about his trash, and all his search cards work on trash and/or deck anyway), deals an unexciting 2 damage and then redirects a damage, also for some reason that's not enormously clear? I guess he's sort of tanky?

He also has a LOT of search cards (7x) all up, which I'm generally not a huge fan of in quantity. For someone like say Absolute Zero, Ra or Fixer who NEEDS certain cards to function they're reasonable, but too many just make gameplay too repetitive - you can always grab whatever card you want, so the excitement of a new card every turn isn't that good. Having said that, the memories and ongoings you're searching for by and large aren't that interesting or situation-specific (Fought under Julius Caeser and Undying Body aside - Thaun with a couple of search cards and Undying Body would take a long, boring forever to kill). So, all up we have a hero who can reliably and consistently and without much turn to turn drama do... not a great deal.

It's a bit of a shame, as I really like the idea and the card names are also very good, but the execution on the card effects is really unexciting. It's just a bag of random, fairly weak, fairly generic one-shots that could be in any deck. Studied Under Sun Tzu is elbow smash, one of Haka's dullest cards. Lectured by Plato is Bolster Allies (but a bit worse), one of Legacy's dullest cards. Lived with the Cherokee is Suture self, one of Wraith's dullest cards. Look at each of those heroes and they have something interesting and exciting that makes you want to play them, and some mediocre damage/draw/heal one-shots aren't among them.

To be constructive, off the top of my head I would say the Memory card are thematically the coolest cards in the deck, maybe make them do something more fundamental to gameplay than just being dinky one-shots. Perhaps they could be powerful ongoings, but you're only allowed one at a time, like Fixers Styles? Or maybe they're ongoings that are really really strong but only last a turn, sorta like Guise's various forms? Or maybe It just needs something to make it special and interesting other than good backstory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Made a lot of changes thanks to your suggestions. You were right, he was very generic. Hopefully I was able to give him a more unique feel and brought the memory mechanic a little bit more into play. Not sure if I should switch out the sword for something else or not. It is a neat thing flavor wise, but do not think it is really necessary or overall helpful to the deck. Could change its ability to make it come into action more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Jaggid88 wrote:
Hero: Thaun
HP: 27
Base Power: Advice
-A player may draw a card

Wording: One player may draw a card.

Quote:
Incapacitated
-A player may draw a card
-Next time target villain would take damage, increase that damage by 1.

Shouldn't there be three incaps?
Wording: One player may draw a card. (This seems somewhat familiar )

Quote:
Studied under Sun Tzu (Qty:3)
Ongoing, Limited, Memory
-When another hero target would deal damage, increase that damage by 2 and destroy this card.

Is this supposed to be conditional, otherwise it's always the next time damage is dealt by a hero target and that isn't always what you might want.
-When another hero target would deal damage, you may increase that damage by 2 then destroy this card.

Quote:
Trained with Leonidas (Qty:3)
Ongoing, Limited, Memory
-When another hero target would receive damage, redirect 2 damage to Thaun and destroy this card.

Again is this required the next time it happens or if you want it to?
-When another hero target would receive damage, you may redirect 2 damage to Thaun then destroy this card.

Quote:
Lectured by Plato (Qty:3)
Ongoing, Limited, Memory
-At the start of each hero's turn, they draw a card

Again conditional
-At the start of each hero's turn, they may draw a card.

Quote:
Nostalgia (Qty:2)
Ongoing, Limited
-When a memory card is destroyed, draw 1 card.

Conditional (I think I'm sounding like a broken record... sorry)
-When a memory card is destroyed, you may draw 1 card

Quote:
Knowledge of the Ages (Qty:4)
One-Shot
-Search your deck and discard pile for a memory card and put it into play.
-Shuffle your deck.

If you searched you deck shuffle it.
Otherwise even if you only pulled a card from your trash you still have to shuffle your deck for no reason.

Quote:
Anger over the Ages (Qty:3)
One-Shot
-Shuffle 2 memory cards from your trash into your deck.
-Thaun deals 4 melee damage to a target.

Old Fashioned (Qty:4)
One-Shot
-Thaun deals a target 2 melee damage.

Ancient Sword (Qty:2)
Equipment, Limited
-Increase Thaun's melee damage by 1.

Two major things here:
1): This is the sum total of his damage output, seven cards.
2): This guy only gets one extra poewr that destroys itself when used.

So the +1 damage from the sword isn't that powerful as you have no way to pull your damage cards out of your deck.
Can I suggest just adding a power to the Sword?
While his base power is nice later in the game it can be a bit uninspiring and doesn't at any point leave you with a choice of should I use this power or another one? Agonising over what's the best thing to do tends to be a hallmark of good support heroes.

Quote:
Also, I am at a dead end to coming up with a name of a team of younger heroes. My wife says Next Gen and Gen H sound terrible.

Not sure I can give you possibles here butI will ask, given that you're calling the expansion Generations, are you intending to possibly at some point build decks for one of Thaun's previous teams? Or even just single decks with survivors of?
Hell it might even be an idea to build a Villian deck or two from these characters seeking to stop Thaun getting these kids killed like he did their teams (this may not be what happened but from their point of view it can look very different).
Not helpful to answer the question but if you think in terms of Genderations of Heroes and Villians it might give you a better name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the wording catches. Those are always helpful, and I do not feel like your being a broken record. Fine tuning, even wording correction, is always crucial. Also, This is supposed to be Thaun's first team and he is trying to make a new, more responsible generation of heroes which is why the expansion is called Generations. He is supposed to be coming out of a lifestyle of him just experiencing the world and trying to now make changes to it for the better as he can no longer stand idly by and watch things be destroyed so recklessly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Jaggid88 wrote:
Enlightened by Buddhist Monks (Qty:2)
-Each other player may use an additional power during their power phase.

I was scanning through these cards again thinking about some kind of mechanic that could make Thaun stand out, and this great card hit me. He is supposed to be a leader of your team, so it makes sense for him to be very supporty - and Enlightened by Buddhist Monks is a great support card. It gives a cool bonus that your team will love, one you have to work a bit for (not everyone will always have a second power to use). It is far too good for a normal ongoing, but it destroys itself at the start of turn, so the power is more reasonable and it doesn't get repetitive. You could easily build the Memories to be templated off this, but pushing in different directions.

If you keep the memories all being destroyed at the start of Thaun's turn, Studied under Sun-Tzu could be, say, the first time each hero deals damage increase it by 2. Leonidas could be reduce all damage dealt to hero targets by 1. Lectured by Plato could be all draw an extra card at the end of their turn (maybe draw 2 discard 1?). Cherokee could be they gain 2 HP at the start of their turn. Caesar is a harder fit, but you get the idea. This makes Memories, the core of his character story the core of his gameplay, dropping strong, short term buffs. A bit like Echelon, but with stronger effects that don't last as long.

Thoughts?

P.S. Enlightened by Buddhist Monks isn't that hard to do in this day and age, I can walk down the street and do that. Enlightened by the Buddha, however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good call. Will adjust the deck accordingly. And the Buddha renaming. I like it. Will change it post haste. Thank you for helping me fine tune this deck. It has come a long ways from what I initially created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.