Subject: Alternative to using the team bar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mb
Instead of using the team bar to split ties why not use the value of the last card played? With higher movement cards splitting ties over lower ones. This would give some degree of control over the outcome and add a risk/reward element to card play. I tend to find players are more accepting of bad luck when it is due to their own action rather than a raw card flip.

- edit for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The bar more or less does the same thing. Using the more aggressive cards puts you at risk for events because you take more damage. That's a choice you make in the game. It has the added benefit of keeping turn order out of the equation too.

Interesting idea though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mb
This makes the same decision in a slightly less random fashion. If two or more players are tied for wear markers they might choose to hold their lowest value card till last in the hope of dodging a bad event. But doing so may restrict or hamper their movement that round; decisions, decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not really have a problem with the way the rule is. A blown tire is a random event. Having the tie broken by the team bar never bothered me. I have seen real races where the lead driver got a flat right at the end of the race and dropped to the bottom of the pack. Thats racing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunmachine wrote:
Instead of using the team bar to split ties why not use the value of the last card played? With higher movement cards splitting ties over lower ones. This would give some degree of control over the outcome and add a risk/reward element to card play. I tend to find players are more accepting of bad luck when it is due to their own action rather than a raw card flip.

- edit for clarity

Please feel free to implement this in your games as a house rule. If it goes well come back and provide some information for us on how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mb
Will do. I've just got my own copy of TA and have played it 3 times so far. Everyone that I've played with has had a good time. Some players groaned over the team bar - especially one guy who got hit multiple times - so I thought something slightly different but just as simple might be worth a try.

A few plays will reveal if this works as intended or has unforeseen negative consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.