Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

My First Stone Age» Forums » General

Subject: Maximum age? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for a game for my 6yo niece. I see this just won Kinderspiel Des Jahres, but is listed at 5+. Is it suitable for a soon-to-be 6yo?

Thanks,

Colin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A soon to be 6 yo IS 5+, isn't she?

I think it's a perfect game for her!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you mean minimum age!

It can be played by a 5/6 year old as the mechanics are fairly simple. A little arithmetical knowledge is useful, but can be learnt and the ability to understand symbols and multiple requirements (cards etc.) would be useful. Not an easy game for a 5 year old, but with patience, one that can be taught, and like most games, becomes easier with repeated plays.

I taught a couple of 8 year olds fairly easily and quickly, so if your girl is keen to play and can listen to and accept help, then you should both have a beneficial experience.

It is a good game all round, so that always helps when teaching youngsters. They will appreciate the depth and design of the game when they have played it a few times. Once you get repeated demands to play " the game " you know you're on a winner. Good luck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
^^ What he said
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
A soon to be 6 yo IS 5+, isn't she?

I think it's a perfect game for her!


What I'm asking is, at 6, she's already a year over the minimum age. I don't want to get a game that she's outgrown day 1. If it's tough for a 5yo, then 6yo may be a perfect starting point.

Colin
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught my son at like 4.5 yrs old. He had no issue with playing. Strategizing he had a little harder time grasping. But the game play is super easy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
I taught my son at like 4.5 yrs old. He had no issue with playing. Strategizing he had a little harder time grasping. But the game play is super easy


Thanks, but I'm not asking for the minimum age possible. Rather, whether at 6, she's already on the upper end of this game being interesting for her.

Colin
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I must apologise. I was writing my comments based on the original Stone Age, I missed the subject matter being the children's version.

On that basis, my comments apply to the original game, but having never experienced the children's version, I can contribute nothing to your question.

That will teach me to read a thread heading rather more carefully!

shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kronos Master of all Time
msg tools
I just bought it for my daughters (6 & 8) so I'll soon (Christmas) figure out how it goes with them. I also was searching info about maximum age, and if my older one won't get bored too fast by it, but no luck. Game looks nice though, and I hope two of them will enjoy it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We bought this game for our son (6 years old) as he really wants to have his version of stone age (we obviously have the "adult" version).
And I must say, I am little bit disappointed with the game, it is really light, even for a 6 years old boy. I have to mention that he plays a lot of heavier game (splendor, carcassone, bombay , camel cup and I even taught him the "manhattan project chain reaction").
It is a good game, great component, but the memory token thing, for me is a downside. When you know where the village token is, it is over, even if you randomize it three times (specially with the dog action)
Next time we will try to put every token in a bag (once the village token has been revealed) and put all them back randomly on the table.
I know it will bring more randomness to the game, but I think it adds more fun, and maybe his mother will not win every single game (she always find the village tile, having the dog token).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RFTGJC wrote:
We bought this game for our son (6 years old) as he really wants to have his version of stone age (we obviously have the "adult" version).
And I must say, I am little bit disappointed with the game, it is really light, even for a 6 years old boy. I have to mention that he plays a lot of heavier game (splendor, carcassone, bombay , camel cup and I even taught him the "manhattan project chain reaction").
It is a good game, great component, but the memory token thing, for me is a downside. When you know where the village token is, it is over, even if you randomize it three times (specially with the dog action)
Next time we will try to put every token in a bag (once the village token has been revealed) and put all them back randomly on the table.
I know it will bring more randomness to the game, but I think it adds more fun, and maybe his mother will not win every single game (she always find the village tile, having the dog token).


Some people have taken to just rolling dice for movement. Sort of ties in with the "adult" version as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After few games, we found the perfect tweak for us.

Actually, when you found the village tile, you flip all the token back to their forest side (same as original rules) but you take all the token on the row where the village was (so 4 or 3 token). And you shuffle them randomly, AND you swap one of theses token with one on the board. So that you never know where the village is, but you still have a pretty good idea where the other tokens are (to keep the memory thing).
It works for well for us. It prevents for always revealing the village tile again and again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt any game would have an age range of less than a year. But Ticket to Ride My First Journey would have more replay value for a 6 year old.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.