$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
The two promo cards are given new meaning so that they are more playable.

Tournament rules: (more balanced)

"Fly you Fools"
If fulfilling the play condition, move the fellowship figure or the movement token exactly 1 space (for "Fly you Fools" effect) following the danger resolution rules of Fellowship location declaration (closed gates, Barlog etc.) if necessary.

"Tidings not Burdens"
This card does not reveal Eagle(s) cards but instead the owner must remove one random Eagle(s) card (elected in a secret roll/shuffle but shown to the opponent) unless they have "Fly you Fools" which then must be announced and removed instead, inflicting exactly 1 corruption to the opponent (which cannot be prevented).

EDIT: A played card ("Fly" or "Tidings") is permanently removed from the game after use.
==========================

Casual game rules:

"Fly you fools"
In stead of going straight to Mount Doom and having conversation about Eagles, the player fulfilling the requirement to play the card, rolls 5 dice and moves the Fellowship figure and/or the movement counter the amount of spaces (on the map and/or on the track) equal to the amount of 4+ hits. Each hit of '1' inflicts one corruption point directly to the corruption track (this cannot be prevented and takes place before movement). When placing the figure on Morannon or Minas Morgul, or if starting from those places, you may place your figure on the zero step of Mount Doom instead and continue moving on Mount Doom. While moving your figure, take into account all intermediate dangers (closed gates, Barlog etc.) normally affecting declaration of the Fellowship location.

"Tidings not burdens"
Don't look at your opponent's hand. Instead the opponent is obliged to show all cards containing the word "Eagle(s)" they possess. Shadow player may then indicate one card among them to be discarded.
In stead of winning the game by discarding "Fly you fools" from your opponent's hand, roll 5 dice and apply one corruption point for each 5+ roll. The corruption moves directly the corruption counter (this cannot be prevented).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice ideas. I wonder why they made this expansion as joke cards, rather than playable ones. At least that's how they seem to me after reading the cards, I haven't played with them yet..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
The cards as they are could have been playable (providing a strong tension) however there are some intristic faults:
- "Fly you Fools" assumes oral conversation between players regarding feasibility of using Eagles so this is not a playable option
- there is no option to voluntarily discard inconvenient cards so the player possessing "Fly you Fools" might want to keep all 4 faction cards and never play one in order to discard "Fly you Fools" asap. This is counter-fun.
However those cards are designed in a way that welcomes house rules and related discussion. My attempt in creating this variant was to provide two solutions to the problem (one, easier, for a competetive play and one for the adventure play). If more people collaborate on this variant, we could work a consensuss and a standard similar to Dwarven Rings. This was my goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Azikin wrote:
Nice ideas. I wonder why they made this expansion as joke cards, rather than playable ones. At least that's how they seem to me after reading the cards, I haven't played with them yet..

Because promos which actually have inherent play value are controversial. Those who never manage to get them just feel badly treated because they missed out just due to unlucky timing or arriving late to the game.

By not making them serious they sidestep the issue because players don't feel they are really missing out on anything.

It also means people won't end up price gouging for them, unlike Treebeard for example.

IMHO this is how promos should be. I'm not sure it's even worth modifying them to make them more serious - I'd rather just play without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
They are not serious cards? Don't tell my wife that. I have beaten her 3 straight times thanks to an aptly played "Fly you Fools" card. We were able to finish all three games inside of the 3 hours it normally takes us to play one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
I think they are funny (especially the names of the cards), so they did their job.

If I really wanted to modify them for use, I think I would have both cards grant a one point increase towards both win conditions. So the Shadow card would give the Shadow one victory point and one corruption, while the Free card would give the Free one victory point and the Fellowship one space of movement or hiding if revealed.

Edit: For the Free, I'm thinking it would hide the Fellowship if revealed, and moves the Fellowship once, skipping the Hunt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Arcadious wrote:
I think they are funny (especially the names of the cards), so they did their job.

If I really wanted to modify them for use, I think I would have both cards grant a one point increase towards both win conditions. So the Shadow card would give the Shadow one victory point and one corruption, while the Free card would give the Free one victory point and the Fellowship one space of movement or hiding if revealed.

OK, I'll give you this one. This sounds simple enough I'd consider it as a way to keep the cards useful but not game-ending. All of those things would also speed the game up slightly which is generally a good thing.

I'd probably still just leave them out though, otherwise I will need to keep reminding Wifey what they actually do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
I think I'll just be leaving them out, but I thought I'd throw out an idea. Editing my above post to add a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
The Followship must be hidden in order to play the card so hiding it is not an option here. We generally agree that a small push toward victory is preferential, similar to the rules I posted for a "tournament" play. The proposal here was also to add one victory point towards military victory, however this could raise some problems in in interpretation of the current VP track. Lowering the requested amount of VP for a military victory would be better (so a different wording but the same effect).
But please still consider if 3VP for a Free People player is a good option: it is then sufficient to conquer Angmar and a stronghold - way too easy. This is a really game shifter - so heavy that the Free People player would often abandon Ring victory. Was that a purpose for the Eagles card? So I would keep to the "Tournament option": one corruption and one movement of any kind and no overpowered looking into the cards (another game braker effect of the cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add one definitely to both: "remove from the game permanently instead of putting in the discard pile".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
Removal after use is a good solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eruantalon _
msg tools
mb
Can someone share the content of the cars, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eruantalon wrote:
Can someone share the content of the cars, please?

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23638276

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwang Il Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
How about the following?

"Tidings not Burdens"

Free People player must move all Eagles to Eagles' Eyrie.
Unless at least one Eagle moves in this way, add one Corruption point.

Remove this card from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.