BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Two players will win - but which two? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Main question is has this been done before and in what games? Anything similar to this core concept of a shared win between two players but you don't know until the end which two players have struck the best 'deal' with one another? (including the winning players!)

In the germ of a card game idea that struck me last night, there are two kinds of players, Proles and Elites. Each Prole is paired with an Elite, that pair makes up a Faction.

The final win will be shared between two players, either a pair of Elites or a pair of Proles, or an Elite and Prole (but to win as this pair they must be the same Faction... you can't for example win as an Elite of Faction A allying with Prole of Faction B).

Through rounds of gameplay (I really have only barely started thinking the mechanics through), certain information about the cards in each player's hand will be shared, some of it publicly, some of it privately.

What you'll be trying to do is identify the other player at the table whose hand has the highest scoring potential when combined with your hand. Meanwhile, you might be trying to send signals to another player that you plan to try to share the win with them, when in fact you are not. Meanwhile trying to figure out who is doublecrossing you in the same way, and trying to keep your options open all the time.

Any games anyone can think of where two players will share a win at the end, but nobody knows WHICH TWO until the final reveal of cards / points /whatever scoring mechanic, I'd love to check them out and take notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly the same but A Study in Emerald has hidden teams where the winner is the person with the highest score at the end of the game but is not on the team with the lowest scoring player. Roles start out hidden but from gameplay you can eventually get an idea of who is on what side.

Might at least be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soldatdizzy wrote:
Main question is has this been done before and in what games?

Yes; I remember long ago seeing at least one game where 2 different players can win (possibly there were 2 different victory conditions, which were each independently achievable by different players), but (sorry!) I cannot remember more details (including the title). :/

(Of course many games have the possibility but not guarantee of more than one person winning, via ties...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel Gabe
Germany
Donauwörth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had very much fun playing Doppelkopf when I was at the university (still play it sometimes; don't mix it up with sheepshead which is also very popular, but much less fun imho), and in general this is very popular in the north of germany.
Those who receive the two clubs ladies build one team which fights the other. In the beginning nothing is clear and one of the main twists is to find out who is one's partner which can take quite some tricks, sometimes until the end. There is lots of bluffing in order to receive tricks from the opposing team.
And then imagine one gets both clubs queens which means he plays a solo against the other three. In most cases he has been dealt cards not strong enough to beat them. He may try to hide as long as possible. Or he can declare the situation and try to get a partner, however quite often the opponents can plot to let him play alone regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can you spare half a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkognito is about deducing (not choosing) which players are teamed up and what they must do to win, and the game end may or may not come as a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.