Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

OK, I'm going to out this here as I don't need these for a particular game, but my wife needs several for a craft project. What we need are aircraft toys/models/minis - some smaller airplanes that she wants to use for decorations in a craft project. I'm going to go look for minis in game store sites, but thought I'd drop by here if anyone has suggestions.

What we need are:

1) Planes, roughly 2 inches to 3 inches long. (Exact size not important, but that range).
2) Level of detail is not important. They don't have to be 100% accurate or highly detailed models.
3) She requests what she calls "cool" planes. Military aircraft preferred, but not required.
4) No specific material requirement - can be wood, plastic, rubber, metal, etc - but would prefer them relatively inexpensive as she'll probably need 10 or more (or varying types).

That's really about it. Any/all types considered, but what we've found are toys are a little large, and die cast metal models are a touch expensive for the amount we'd want.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the toy aisle at a dollar store or the party favors section of a party supply store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregarius wrote:
Check the toy aisle at a dollar store or the party favors section of a party supply store.

Basically this.

If you were looking for much smaller, there are some 'accessory' model kits meant for decorating aircraft carriers or airbase models - but those are probably far too small for your needs (well under an inch, tops).

The Wings of Glory miniatures are certainly in your size range - although also quite detailed, accurate, with a good supporting game, and so...comparatively expensive.

You may have some luck with Matchbox-type toys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Regrets? I've had a few, but none bigger than investing in that Haggis Hut franchise."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Google for "Z-Cardz". These are little packs -- about the same size as Pokemon or MtG packs -- that have two plastic cards inside each one, which are about the thickness of a credit/debit card. The cards are pre-colored and pre-punched and you pop out the bits and slide them together to build a little model of a particular thing. Each foil pack makes one model.

(I think there was originally a game that these went with, but I've never found the rules.)

There are dozens of different types of things the cards make: Dinosaurs, military vehicles, cars, WW2 planes, fighter jets, spaceships, wild animals, giant robots, and lots of others. I had a bunch of the spaceships, and the models were one-and-a-half to two inches long, an inch or so wide, and less than a half-inch high. They are very light weight and hold together nicely.

I don't think they're made any more, but you can easily find packs of them in bulk on Ebay -- that's where I got mine about ten years ago. I think I paid about a dollar per pack. Prices are probably higher now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The 'cardstock' assortment will appear as such, of varying sorts:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They're not minis but they are parked in the Mojave desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Regrets? I've had a few, but none bigger than investing in that Haggis Hut franchise."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
The 'cardstock' assortment will appear as such, of varying sorts:

Thanks for finding that picture, Grog!

Those are almost life size (about 80-90% ?) and gives you a good idea of what I was talking about. You just have to be careful snapping the parts out, as too much bending can deform the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
robot I even had this, and another 'design' of which BOTH were then SENT to another as their *Prize*. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Very challenging to paint with those little cans of Humbrol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Very challenging to paint with those little cans of Humbrol...

Well, I use a rattle can for the primer and undercoats, so that'll save a bit of time...

To the OP: I've seen book compilations of punch out and fold paper planes, in toy departments, book stores and aviation museums, maybe that would help? (Sorry if that's a bit vague...)

Love the picture of the storage facility, btw! Um, my understanding is that our wonderful Ministry of Defense has built/is close to completing two aircraft carriers, but doesn't have any planes to put on them (waiting on the F-35. Yippie.) Can we borrow/rent/have some spares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
el alcalde de GeekQuestions
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I collected metal jets,planes and helicopters back in the day - I think the ones I had were Dyna-Flites and whatever else I could get my paws on at the time might also be by a company called Zytmex.

They can still be found on Ebay. Dyna-Flites here.

Roughly 2.5" average.

My dad even made me a wooden aircraft carrier. It has been in my sons room until just recently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts, folks. I've checked with the wife on her needs for the project, and she says she'd prefer to have something more solid than the punch-and-fold paper/cardboard ones, so while I thought that might be perfect, looks like the search continues... Still, was a good thought!

edit: I think the metal ones are exactly what she's looking for, she's just balking at the potential cost of getting a dozen or so of them. May just have to tell her that if that's the quality she wants, that's the price she'll have to pay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
I've checked with the wife on her needs for the project, and she says she'd prefer to have something more solid than the punch-and-fold paper/cardboard ones...

Just to clarify, the Z-Cardz are plastic -- about like a standard debit/credit card -- and the parts slide or snap together fairly securely. A tiny drop of "the Kragle" (Krazy Glue, i.e. superglue) at the joints will make sure they don't come apart, but I've never had any problem with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
vandemonium wrote:
I collected metal jets,planes and helicopters back in the day - I think the ones I had were Dyna-Flites and whatever else I could get my paws on at the time might also be by a company called Zytmex.

They can still be found on Ebay. Dyna-Flites here.

Roughly 2.5" average.

My dad even made me a wooden aircraft carrier. It has been in my sons room until just recently

arrrh They sell the 'Aircraft Carrier' with a small contingent of "Dyna-Flie"(?) aircraft included for this. I have some of soft plastic around the same sizes as theirs, and these appeared with being the "Party Favor"-kind. in either TAN or GREEN, all with US markings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.