Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Atlanta area. Around me we have Titan Books and Games which the last time I went there had just a few ships on pins and they weren't ordering any more. That was months ago, so no luck there. Then there is Gigabytes which doesn't carry the game at all. Then there is Hobbytown which still has some ships, they seem to buy a few copies of the new (not reprint) ships when they come out. But the display has shrunk as Armada and XWing have expanded in their place. Now there is very little there. There is still a group that plays OP's there. Then there is Doctor Nos which used to have quite a STAW supply but I haven't been there a while so I can't say what their stock is like.

I don't think we're far from buying the new ships on Noble Knight or Cool Stuff or something like that. That's not the end of the world, I already buy the prize ships from eBay. The prices there for new commercial ships is typically reasonable and reliable.

What's the view from your foxhole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a few folks stop playing the OP events at the shop - getting tired of needing to chase rare ships or prizes to get the best upgrades.

Surprisingly, Sails of Glory has been benefiting the most from it.

I mean...very cool looking game...

...but I would have thought X-Wing or Armada would have been a more direct fit.

Still, STAW itself is doing okay (per one of our stores). They've moved the product into a more central part of the store from a back wall (initially to start winding it down) - but with the new 'glossy' models coming out, they reported that the new location actually started REALLY MOVING SHIPS. I guess the shiny models are catching people's eyes when they are out in the open?

Our venue has actually seen a number of new players start the OP events, too, so...roughly compensating for the old-timers dropping out.

Overall, I guess, I'd say it's doing alright. Certainly not growing explosively like X-Wing or Armada, but it's not dying as badly as it seems to be elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm familiar with two local stores. One has never kept a lot of stock: they special order or preorder, but don't really keep anything beyond that. The other one has cut back on stock a bit, mostly because the repaints weren't really selling. New ships get ordered at about the same rate, but with only one coming out per wave it seems like a big drop.

OP participation is about constant at both venues: not growing, but not shrinking either.

(I know of one store in Denver that still supports the game, and I hear there is at least one more in Colorado Springs. But I don't get that far south often, so I can't comment on how they are doing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
We've had a few folks stop playing the OP events at the shop - getting tired of needing to chase rare ships or prizes to get the best upgrades.

Still, STAW itself is doing okay (per one of our stores). They've moved the product into a more central part of the store from a back wall (initially to start winding it down) - but with the new 'glossy' models coming out, they reported that the new location actually started REALLY MOVING SHIPS. I guess the shiny models are catching people's eyes when they are out in the open?

Our venue has actually seen a number of new players start the OP events, too, so...roughly compensating for the old-timers dropping out.

Overall, I guess, I'd say it's doing alright. Certainly not growing explosively like X-Wing or Armada, but it's not dying as badly as it seems to be elsewhere.

Never played Sails of glory but I've seen it at conventions and it sure looks neat. Armada has a good sized display at my main game store and it seems to be growing. I notice a couple of cool new ships. XWing's share of the shelf space has grown even faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Wizkids release schedule changes are going to be a big factor, I have no idea why they couldn't include a new card or two in the repaint ship releases; the STO code is cute in tbe Enterprise E preview I'll admit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:
Well Wizkids release schedule changes are going to be a big factor, I have no idea why they couldn't include a new card or two in the repaint ship releases; the STO code is cute in tbe Enterprise E preview I'll admit.

I play STO on Xbox One and have passed on that information about the "free" assault cruiser to the players in my fleet. A few guys who would have never bought STAW mi is will be getting an Ent-E model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:

I play STO on Xbox One and have passed on that information about the "free" assault cruiser to the players in my fleet. A few guys who would have never bought STAW mi is will be getting an Ent-E model.

Same with my brother, actually - never played STAW, but a HUGE fan of STO.

And the Ent-E pack is actually pretty damn solid - best Picard outside of the core set, and I've run him instead of Picard-9 half the time anyway. Dorsal Phasers, Troi and Geordi decent...

I dunno, might bring some more folks into the crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from News to General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Never played Sails of glory but I've seen it at conventions and it sure looks neat. Armada has a good sized display at my main game store and it seems to be growing. I notice a couple of cool new ships. XWing's share of the shelf space has grown even faster.

I did a short review of Sails Of Glory, it's a good game also. Feels more simulation (technical sailing things to consider). It's here if you want to check it out:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1626345/first-timer-defeat-...

So many expanding miniatures games, not enough time and money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
I've actually been noting the opposite in my area. I can't get any new ships as they always get purchased. Perhaps it has to do with the slower releases and the new movie/50th anniversary hype. However, I was talking to one of the managers just the other day and he said he can't get the ships in he wants and the distributer doesn't have any starters which angers him as he can't sell the game to new people. I'm not sure if this is a Canadian distribution problem or if Wizkids is planning on releasing a new starter with revised rules and newly painted models.... makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ting
Australia
flag msg tools
Clipper423 wrote:
However, I was talking to one of the managers just the other day and he said he can't get the ships in he wants and the distributer doesn't have any starters which angers him as he can't sell the game to new people. I'm not sure if this is a Canadian distribution problem or if Wizkids is planning on releasing a new starter with revised rules and newly painted models.... makes sense to me.

Same problem in Australia. We have a great community and supportive stores, but without starters it's an uphill battle to get new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.