12 Posts

Clank!» Forums » General

Subject: thoughts after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
Just played this today, and both me and my friends thought this game was really really awesome.. We love the tension in the game. The momemt where you go for that nice artifact worth alot of points and another pkayer picks one up and rushes for the exit.. We really liked this "push your luck" element.

Other than that, the deck building was nice aswell, we loved the feeling that you start out as a not that good of a thief, and now you can make your thief better any way you like.. So this game gets a 9 from me and my friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna get this for solitaire. do you think it will be a nice idea to play alone?
the deck building aspect, do you spend much time at one spot just recicling you cards or it was dinamic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harrison E
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Orlando, this game does not have a solo mode. There are several cards that would be dead in a solo game, and with no other players adding clank to the bag, the dragon would kill you pretty quickly. Theoretically, you could play the game solo, never buy a card from the changing market and win without ever triggering a dragon attack, but that spoils the fun of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
topera wrote:
I wanna get this for solitaire. do you think it will be a nice idea to play alone?
the deck building aspect, do you spend much time at one spot just recicling you cards or it was dinamic?

Yeah, I would not play this game solo, I guess you could.. But the entire "push your luck" element is pretty much out of the way, since in a solo play you could just go for the first artifact, and head out easymode.. The fun in the game comes with more players, and you think "I wanna go for that 40 point artifact, but maybe the other players go for less valuable artifacts, so do I dare to go so deep?..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... I can see this working as a solo game, with a little bit of work. Add in a dummy player that pulls one of the cards each turn to prevent players from just playing it safe by not buying any of the line cards. If you want to make it easier, you can add in a number of neutral Clank tokens each turn, making it less likely for the running player to take damage. Count up the points at the end, and go for the high score. Pretty straightforward, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cah Pahkah
msg tools
topera wrote:

The Lonely Gamer did a video of his take on how to play Clank! solitaire -- could be worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-BoE7wLjI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed this is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cahpahkah wrote:
topera wrote:

The Lonely Gamer did a video of his take on how to play Clank! solitaire -- could be worth checking out:

Tried his solo rules--they work really well. He/someone should type them up and upload them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to buy this at essen but 70 euro that was way to much, i'm gonne wait for my local shop has it in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiberiusdw wrote:
cahpahkah wrote:
topera wrote:

Tried his solo rules--they work really well. He/someone should type them up and upload them.

awesome, I'll check it out. thank you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Could you compare it to other games in terms of weight, not mechanisms (or other deckbuilders/pyl if you can)?

Is it a gateway/social game? Like TtR? 2nd level like Waterdeep? Or is there more planning ahead, so say Istanbul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... It's definitely in the medium-light category, along with things like Lords of Waterdeep or Formula D. Planning ahead is very important, and you'll have a pretty strong advantage over someone who simply goes with the flow and just grabs what seems to be good at the moment. This is particularly important during the end game where you need to know the route you'll take to get out, or you may end up sans the 20 bonus points for escaping (or worse, without getting above the point line). It's not completely obvious what to buy and when to leave, but the other rules are about on par with Ascension.

Or, to sum it up, if you're familiar with Trains and Dominion, Clank! is to Ascension what Trains is to Dominion, including relative game weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.