Subject: Shop items revealed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Arkham a lot more than Eldritch, and in many ways don't find the two very comparable, but one of the things I really liked about Eldritch was the revealed market cards.

So, the other day I played a solo game against good ol' Azathoth and played with the top 3 cards revealed from the general store and the curiositie shoppe, and the top 2 from ye olde magick shoppe.

An investigator still had to move to the spot to shop, but I really liked seeing the item cards revealed; I thought it made the game more fun.

Has anyone else tried with a similar variant? Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea, though a bit different from EH in that you have only a chance to obtain one of the items, while in AH you simply need enough money to buy. Do you require one of the items to be purchased before you can cycle the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I made it so only one could be purchased, and one had to be purchased before the next three cards were revealed. It was cool having a visible "market" on the board--added a bit to the role-playing feel of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in my next game I might try a variant of your variant -- 2 up, 1 down (or 1 up, 1 down for the spell shop). . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakerjohn wrote:
I think in my next game I might try a variant of your variant -- 2 up, 1 down (or 1 up, 1 down for the spell shop). . .

I like that idea! Please post how you end up liking it.

Another one I thought of involved rolling a die each turn, and cycling the first card on a 1-2, the second card on a 3-4, or the third card on a 5-6. I thought this would add some tension in case an elder sign or a powerful weapon came up, and there would be a tough decision on whether to go to the shop or do whatever else needs doin'. You could also cycle on 1, 2, or 3, and leave as-is on 4-6. An issue I see with this variant is that it might make it too easy to get elder signs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
Another one I thought of involved rolling a die each turn, and cycling the first card on a 1-2, the second card on a 3-4, or the third card on a 5-6. I thought this would add some tension in case an elder sign or a powerful weapon came up, and there would be a tough decision on whether to go to the shop or do whatever else needs doin'. You could also cycle on 1, 2, or 3, and leave as-is on 4-6. An issue I see with this variant is that it might make it too easy to get elder signs.

Maybe. Think of it this way: how often in a normal game does an Elder Sign wind up in the discard pile rather than "returned to the box" after being used? Pretty seldom, because if you ever can purchase one, you will do so. With the variant you describe, those Elder Signs might cycle through more quickly, but if they go to the discard pile after they're cycled out, then I foresee major disruption of players' plans in a mad dash for the Shoppe whenever one shows its face, to prevent its being discarded. So, this variant might make the game a bit easier, but probably not too much, due to the danger of losing a precious Sign forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting variant. We'll probably try this or something similar.

I agree that shopping is somewhat better in EH as you can strategize more with items but individual items play a bigger part in Arkham as one usually doesn't have that many items as in Eldritch. I'm usually swimming in items in late EH game (I usually have Jenny or Charlie in team).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamzombie wrote:
Interesting variant. We'll probably try this or something similar.

I agree that shopping is somewhat better in EH as you can strategize more with items but individual items play a bigger part in Arkham as one usually doesn't have that many items as in Eldritch. I'm usually swimming in items in late EH game (I usually have Jenny or Charlie in team).

Cool, I'm interested to hear how you like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.