OmNomGmr
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Game Devourer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest boy really enjoys betting on things. Is there a betting game that works well for 3 players?

My boys are 9 and 7. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up
Betting on camel races!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He might take a liking to Cheaty Mages!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Check out Colossal Arena and Winner's Circle, both by the spiffin' Reiner Knizia Winner's Circle has a new edition coming out at Essen and may be a bit more kid-friendly in that I don't think there is any text in the game, but Colossal Arena might have a more exciting theme for them.

EDIT: Oh, and I've heard good things about Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ummm hare and the tortoise is a great game but not sure if it truly gives the betting feeling. You have two characters that you want to win and then you play cards to try and get them there but it doesn't really feel like betting as one card is given to you and we generally give out the second bet randoly rather than choice also otherwise everyone picks the sheep lol! So feels more like a normal race game than betting.

Camel up as suggested, really feels like a betting game and maybe Wits & Wagers Family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
oh and what about The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game

and Incan Gold almost feels like betting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Spartacus: A Game Of Blood And Treachery you can bet on who wins the match along with wagering if any gladiators get injured or decapitated. A great game, highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian MacMillan
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OmNomGmr
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Camel up as suggested, really feels like a betting game and maybe Wits & Wagers Family

A very good point. I love the feel that Camel up has. More of a focus on placing the right bet at the right time. Wasn't sure if anything else captured that feeling. Another concern was whether Camel Up would work well for 3.

Wits and wagers family is also very interesting. Thinking about maybe Fauna in that vein.

Lots of awesome suggestions to consider. Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OmNomGmr
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dndspeyside wrote:
In Spartacus: A Game Of Blood And Treachery you can bet on who wins the match along with wagering if any gladiators get injured or decapitated. A great game, highly recommended.

Heard good things about this, but probably too dark for the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Lee
Australia
Leichhardt
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Auf Teufel komm raus?

Even though the theme is pasted on, the idea of a game about making a pact with the devil may not sit well with younger gamers. But it is a family weight game with Zoch's zany flavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits n wagers for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Camel Up

I'd also recommend checking out Las Vegas. It's not strictly a betting game, but the dice bidding mechanic combined with the Vegas theme makes it feel like a betting game. Plus, kids really take to it, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OmNomGmr
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bouchbre wrote:
+1 Camel Up

I'd also recommend checking out Las Vegas. It's not strictly a betting game, but the dice bidding mechanic combined with the Vegas theme makes it feel like a betting game. Plus, kids really take to it, in my experience.

A good point. The theme may capture the attention even if the mechanics aren't exactly betting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Davenport
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Another vote for Camel Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allie Tyndall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrocker wrote:
SaggyUK wrote:

A very good point. I love the feel that Camel up has. More of a focus on placing the right bet at the right time. Wasn't sure if anything else captured that feeling. Another concern was whether Camel Up would work well for 3.

Wits and wagers family is also very interesting. Thinking about maybe Fauna in that vein.

Lots of awesome suggestions to consider. Thanks everyone!

Camel Up is pretty good with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass the Pigs, Pickomino or any other simple push your luck game is good start.

Camel Up is a good game, but some other simpler games can be fast and simple introductions to probability and risk etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Artuz
msg tools
No thanks! Card game may scratch that itch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
Pass the Pigs, Pickomino or any other simple push your luck game is good start.

Camel Up is a good game, but some other simpler games can be fast and simple introductions to probability and risk etc.

+1 Camel Up
+1 Pass the Pigs

Both extremely fun games. Always time for pass the pigs although its not strictly betting but calling the names is great. Plenty of fun with both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tito kiza
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kid likes very much the betting phase in Power Grid. probably it is too hard for 7y but there is some editions specially made for kids (I think it is named first sparks)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Zhang
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
You might like Demon Espionage Its a social deduction game suitable for kids (cute demons and chubby monsters artwork). There are various elements of the game that are based on luck i.e. betting. I'm pretty sure your kids will like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings on Board seems to have a strong betting element. It's a fairly simple worker placement where the players take actions to load up the longships with plunder, manipulate the ships for majority control over them, and bet on who will be in control when they end up disembarking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. You bet every time gladiators go to the arena. Sorry, it might be inappropriate for kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Flower
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used our copy of Snail's Pace Race and we (family of 4) put money down at the ends of the lanes on the ones we thought would win. It was very exciting and felt like you were watching a horse race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Camel Up
+1 Hare & Tortoise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.